When do you plan on retiring?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
1) How old are you?
2a) When do you plan on retiring(by plan)?
2b) When do you plan on retiring(by best case)?
2c) When do you plan on retiring(by worst case)?
3) Have you actually planned this?

1) 23 I know I'm old
2a) 25
2b) 30
2c) 35
3) Yes, I have always thought how good it would have been if I could retire right now.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No.. I'm not up do badmouth the US or any other, but my impression is that working in most big corp. in the U.S. is just like dilbert Please correct me if I'm wrong
Actually, you have it about right. Typically, after reading a Dilbert cartoon, I would feel like cutting it out and taping it above the water cooler. Usually, the Dilbert cartoons would mirror some recent scenario that we had recently gone through - or, was about to go through at work.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I doubt I ever will retire. That is, not work on a daily basis.

I've seen too many people keel over within months of retireing!

Hopefully, if I get off my dead butt and just do it, I'll be self employed by then.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
If I stick with my cushy (albeit boring) government job, I can retire with a full pension at the age of 42. Then after retirement, if I so choose, I can get another government job and "double dip".

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: draggoon01
for people who have planned to retire by a certain age, could you start adding how you plan on doing this? secure a certain amount in savings?

i know my pension at age 55 will be about 4k/month. at age 60 about 6k/month.
plus my 401k, roth ira, etc.

bromer

Nov 7, 2002
Originally posted by: wje
No.. I'm not up do badmouth the US or any other, but my impression is that working in most big corp. in the U.S. is just like dilbert Please correct me if I'm wrong
Actually, you have it about right. Typically, after reading a Dilbert cartoon, I would feel like cutting it out and taping it above the water cooler. Usually, the Dilbert cartoons would mirror some recent scenario that we had recently gone through - or, was about to go through at work.

That really suck... big time.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
for people who have planned to retire by a certain age, could you start adding how you plan on doing this? secure a certain amount in savings?

I am 23 and have been working for a school since I was 16 and started collecting on retirement (pension) at 19. Right now if I retire at 40, I will have 30 years in and will be collecting 75% of my current pay at that age. If I go out at 35 years I will collect 87.5% of what I make at 54 years of age. I plan on going out at 49 and then go into another career which will let me go out at 15 years. At that, I will be 64 and could collect a second pension and be at over 100% total income a month. Plus, with the job I currently have, I will have 100% benefits (dental, vision, medical) when I go out for the rest of my living days.

Is that a good enough explanation for ya?

MrPhelps

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2001
If you think you can retire in your 40's you're smoking crack!!!

I am just jealous.:(

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
If you don't start planning for retirement in your early 20's you'll be still working in your 60's.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
This truly isn't meant to be a thread crap, but "The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry."

That said, I have no plans to ever retire. I enjoy the work I do, the company people I work with on occasion are down to earth and really nice, I work in different places daily and from day to day and the customers are usually a lot of fun once you break through the defensive wall they have built up around them.

When I reach my mid 60's I will try to get my employer, or whoever I'm working for, to let me work 3 months and take a month off, work 3 months and take a month off.

As long as I can crawl out of bed in the morning I will want to accomplish something on a daily basis.

I already have two pensions nailed down along with a few 401k's and other investments, so it isn't like I wouldnl't be able to retire if I wanted to. I just don't forsee ever not having a job.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: bromer
My god.. most of the people in this thread are going to retire soon.. why it that... begin out in the working world should be funny, it shoudn't be a place where you just think about getting the hell out of there :) If this is the case there must be other jobs that can stimulate you a little better... or have I just lost it?

Mostly, it's being tolled that the corporate world is the way to go all our lives, then we get there and realize how wrong our parents were. "Go to school and get a good job."....what a crock. That's my view of the world anyways. To quote Bart, "Work is for suckers". It's not that there are other things I want to do, it's just that I can't afford to change my career path now. I honestly want to be a cabinite maker/wood carver now. That's the retirement plan. I won't really retire at 52, i'll probably have a wod shop and make/sell furniture. A hobby/business that only has to break even. I won't be worried bout making a profit.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Evadman
1) How old are you?

2a) When do you plan on retiring(by plan)?

2b) When do you plan on retiring(by best case)?

2c) When do you plan on retiring(by worst case)?
um... never?

3) Have you actually planned this?
Yes.

planned to retire at 35 ?!?!?!?!

OK, do tell. I have to know.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: wje
Originally posted by: bromer
My god.. most of the people in this thread are going to retire soon.. why it that... begin out in the working world should be funny, it shoudn't be a place where you just think about getting the hell out of there :) If this is the case there must be other jobs that can stimulate you a little better... or have I just lost it?
Considering that working for someone else sucks, of course we're all ready to leave at any given moment. Companies don't make life pleasant for their workers anymore. No, I'm not talking about luxuries. However, I am talking about their lack of focus, lack of ethics and many other issues that exist within companies today. 20 years ago, it used to be an honor to work for a large corporation. Today, the perception has completely changed. For the most part, people are underpaid and overworked. The stress has zapped whatever energy they would have had. People get home and just turn into blobs on their couch. There is little community participation, little voluteering and little effort on the behalf of parents in paying proper attention to what their children are doing or involved with. Most families have both partents who work just so they can afford a nice house to keep up with (or beat) the Joneses' - oh, and then there's the two SUVs they need to keep parked in their driveways ... and the two jet skis in the garage ... and the ... - you get the picture.

People's lives need to change. People can't progress with living in the current situations they are in. I'm not completely blaming the corporations for all of this - just some of it. The rest of the blame can go with the employees themselves. They push themselves harder to make more money to afford more material things. People in this mode are not thinking about retiring early. However, it would be an very valid option if they could sacrifice themselves by living in a bit smaller house, not having the latest and greatest vehicles, not having the jet skis that they only use three times each Summer, etc.

Uh oh, some one let the secret out:
"However, it would be an very valid option if they could sacrifice themselves by living in a bit smaller house, not having the latest and greatest vehicles, not having the jet skis that they only use three times each Summer, etc."

I should add that a home IS NOT an investment. A home is "good debt". You're better off spending 25% less on a home that you can afford and investing that money instead.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
For anywone in school right now that hopes to work in an office of a large company, go rent Office Space right now! It's truer than you may think.