When Did This Become A Thing?

Nov 8, 2012
Seriously -

Are kids (or the parents?) these days so self-centered that they think everyone in the neighborhood gives a crap about the day you were born?

It just seems silly and gives me that "Everyone gets a trophy" vibe because it just insinuates that you're someone of any importance.

I understand some balloons or something if you're having a birthday party to show that you're the house where the party is at... But just leaving up this statement (with your kid's age and name) for a week on your lawn is just very strange to me.

1594300151420.png

Reactions: pcgeek11

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This became a "thing" since the quarantine.

I'd also argue that the majority of the time (if not all the time) that this has happened around my neighborhood it's not the parents of the birthday kid that do it but rather friends who come and do it to make the day special for the person who's birthday it is, since they can't throw a party right now.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
This became a "thing" since the quarantine.

I'd also argue that the majority of the time (if not all the time) that this has happened around my neighborhood it's not the parents of the birthday kid that do it but rather friends who come and do it to make the day special for the person who's birthday it is, since they can't throw a party right now.
This, I've only ever seen it done during the "drive by" parties of the shelter at home era. As far as leaving it up? Maybe they're just lazy. Seems like a pretty minor thing to be this bothered by, shrug.

Reactions: Elfear

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
We've had a few graduations like that. I think its friends or family doing it mostly.

Nov 8, 2012
Well, I guess people running around in pedo vans appreciate this kind of public information heh...

Regardless of who does it (And I would venture to bet 80% of the time it's the parents) - it's incredibly stupid. Go give the person themselves a card - or money - or a gift card.

The concept that anyone driving by in your neighborhood cares about your birthday and/or graduation is just 100% setting them up to fail with the whole self-esteem movement.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Seriously -

Are kids (or the parents?) these days so self-centered that they think everyone in the neighborhood gives a crap about the day you were born?

It just seems silly and gives me that "Everyone gets a trophy" vibe because it just insinuates that you're someone of any importance.

I understand some balloons or something if you're having a birthday party to show that you're the house where the party is at... But just leaving up this statement (with your kid's age and name) for a week on your lawn is just very strange to me.
What's wrong with a sign? I bet the kid who is turning 13 is very happy and proud when she/he sees it in the driveway. Don't you think people should be happy and celebrate milestones in their lives?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
My friends did this for my 50th bday last august....it was funny because they had to remove the sign first thing on the next day because there was someone with my same first name that had a bday the following day....

Nov 8, 2012
What's wrong with a sign? I bet the kid who is turning 13 is very happy and proud when she/he sees it in the driveway. Don't you think people should be happy and celebrate milestones in their lives?

Yeah - for anyone that cares. Absolutely.

Celebrate with your friends and family with a party.
Send them a card with a gift.
Take them out to eat.

But publicly announcing it is like going into a crowded subway and yelling "HEY EVERYONE! IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!".

I think it just gives the wrong notion that random people care, you're special etc... then eventually you hit college, real world job, move out, etc... and it hits you that... you're not special..... See George Carlin self-esteem movement video I posted.

I just imagine kids that feed off that kind of stuff turning into the types that are always thinking "OMG did the selfie I posted 7 minutes ago get any likes yet?!"

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Seriously -

View attachment 25248

I'm guessing you don't have any kids?

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
This is occurring because of covid-19....is this difficult to understand?

People are sad they can't celebrate special moments with family and loved ones, so they do things like this to compensate.

Again...is this difficult to understand?

Reactions: Elfear

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
2 kids actually - though they aren't old enough for school yet.

Sort of the same thing in reference to the topic at hand ... when they get older most kids like this sort of thing. (you'll most likely be finding this out soon)

Also note its nothing new ... they have been doing it at least since the early 1990's when my older daughter was born and I started paying attention to that kind of stuff.

Finally don't knock it ... enjoy every single corny/silly moment with your kids because they really will be grown and gone before you know it. (you'll be finding this out soon too)

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Take them out to eat.

But publicly announcing it is like going into a crowded subway and yelling "HEY EVERYONE! IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!".

I think it just gives the wrong notion that random people care, you're special etc... then eventually you hit college, real world job, move out, etc... and it hits you that... you're not special..... See George Carlin self-esteem movement video I posted.

I just imagine kids that feed off that kind of stuff turning into the types that are always thinking "OMG did the selfie I posted 7 minutes ago get any likes yet?!"
Guess what, we are all unique people and worthy of celebrating our lives. Putting a sign in your yard to celebrate your kids' birthday is a great way to tell them you care about them. Nothing is better from a parent than positive reinforcement and uplifting support.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Take them out to eat.

You do know about COVID-19, right? I see small graduation signs on lawns.

When you were that age, it probably felt good to see something special for your birthday. If no one ever did anything special for you on your birthdays growing up, you'd probably become a bitter, cynical person.

Oh wait...

EDIT: And George Carlin was a smart guy and I agree with pretty much all of his stuff, but he is that bitter, cynical old man. It's best not to get your viewpoints on life from a comedian.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Guess what, we are all unique people and worthy of celebrating our lives. Putting a sign in your yard to celebrate your kids' birthday is a great way to tell them you care about them. Nothing is better from a parent than positive reinforcement and uplifting support.

Also (and this is the point in case I was somehow unclear) its not about how anyone other then your kids feel about it.

Nov 8, 2012
You do know about COVID-19, right? I see small graduation signs on lawns.

When you were that age, it probably felt good to see something special for your birthday. If no one ever did anything special for you on your birthdays growing up, you'd probably become a bitter, cynical person.

Oh wait...

EDIT: And George Carlin was a smart guy and I agree with pretty much all of his stuff, but he is that bitter, cynical old man. It's best not to get your viewpoints on life from a comedian.

Yeah, I mean - it's only something determines the kid's complete outlook on life and general chances of success. But no biggie right?

Just seems odd to acknowledge Carlin's viewpoints but dismiss them when he is talking about what is ACTUALLY happening.

How many teenage kids do you think in today's world pay more attention to their selfie like-count on Facebook for dopamine hits instead of worrying about their crappy grades?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't see the problem really. What's so annoying about a reminder that people in a neighbourhood like their children?

It's certainly infinitely less depressing than the improvised road-side shrines that pop up around here for youths who have been stabbed to death or died in an RTA caused by an idiot driver (who may-or-may-not-be the same person as the deceased). I feel slightly bad objecting even to those things, because it's human nature to want to pay 'respects' to the deceased, but they also set a pretty grim tone. Especially once they become neglected and tatty piles of dead flowers and rain-sodden badly-scrawled notes. That display in the picture, by contrast, seems unobjectionably jolly. It just suggests it's a family neighbourhood and all the kids know each other. And not in the sense of a 'street gang', as those stabbing memorials often do.