When did Rock Music die?

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Your soul was already forfeited when you started listening to Rock music because it's for the Devil.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Rock died when streaming music came about. It allowed any no-talent Tom Dick & Harry to publish music, flooding the market with crap. Rap artists started to emerge that stripped the talent out of playing music, reducing it to saying off-key "poetry" over a drum track, then computer generated music appeared based on mathematically proven catchy hooks, and POOF- you have today's music industry.

Rock is still around, but the appeal of actually learning to play an instrument and displaying talent is at an all time low due to automation.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/twitter-chat-electric-guitar-decline/

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
You're not looking hard enough. It's not as popular now, but it's just as good!

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
If I had to point to one single thing that killed rock, it would be Smells Like Teen Spirit.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
If I had to point to one single thing that killed rock, it would be Smells Like Teen Spirit.
I'd say that US Congress relaxing rules on media ownership had more to do with it

" In 1992, the U.S. Congress relaxed radio ownership rules slightly, allowing the company to acquire more than 2 stations per market. By 1995, Clear Channel owned 43 radio stations and 16 television stations. When the Telecommunications Act of 1996 became law, the act deregulated media ownership, allowing a company to own more stations than previously allowed. Clear Channel went on a subsequent buying spree, purchasing more than 70 other media companies and individual stations.'

'With 855 stations, iHeartMedia(clear channel) is the largest radio station group owner in the United States, both by number of stations and by revenue. The 855 stations reach more than 110 million listeners every week, and 245 million every month. '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IHeartMedia

Reactions: Zorba

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Or it's the change in concert philosophy. Bands used to tour to promote their album sales, so they needed good music to sell. Now they sell "performances" and the show matters more than the music.