When Barack's berserkers lost the plot

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Another British perspective

"For once, the postmodern theories so many of them were taught at university are a help to the rest of us. As a Christian, conservative anti-abortionist who proved her support for the Iraq War by sending her son to fight in it, Sarah Palin was 'the other' - the threatening alien presence they defined themselves against. They might have soberly examined her reputation as an opponent of political corruption to see if she was truly the reformer she claimed to be. They might have gently mocked her idiotic creationism, while carefully avoiding all discussion of the racist conspiracy theories of Barack Obama's church.

But instead of following a measured strategy, they went berserk. On the one hand, the media treated her as a sex object. The New York Times led the way in painting Palin as a glamour-puss in go-go boots you were more likely to find in an Anchorage lap-dancing club than the Alaska governor's office.

On the other, liberal journalists turned her family into an object of sexual disgust: inbred rednecks who had stumbled out of Deliverance. Palin was meant to be pretending that a handicapped baby girl was her child when really it was her wanton teenage daughter's. When that turned out to be a lie, the media replaced it with prurient coverage of her teenage daughter, who was, after all, pregnant, even though her mother was not going to do a quick handover at the maternity ward and act as if the child was hers."

If Obama loses this election, Obamabots in the media are to share a lot of blame. Yeah, the media loves Obama alright. People got tired of hearing about him. The attacks on Palin will backfire.

I will laugh my ass off if the Democrats lose this presidential election. They should just change their names to "the party of losers"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

I will laugh my ass off if the Democrats lose this presidential election.
Yeah but you're also the kind of tree swinger that laughs at fatal car wrecks, suicides and disfigured children so it's to be expected.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I will laugh my ass off if the Democrats lose this presidential election.
Yeah but you're also the kind of tree swinger that laughs at fatal car wrecks, suicides and disfigured children so it's to be expected.

um, no.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My idea of a loser would be somebody who voted Republican in the last two elections and is going to do it again. Not only is such a person a loser, their intention is for the rest of America to lose too.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
My idea of a loser would be somebody who voted Republican in the last two elections and is going to do it again. Not only is such a person a loser, their intention is for the rest of America to lose too.
+1

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Once again we are faced with the irrefutable reality that today's main stream journalism is not journalism at all but political theatre constructed to allow politicians to depict themselves as they wish to be seen instead of as they really are.

In the case of Palin it is clear that those who immediately reacted to her in a positive way will not now reject her under any circumstances, regardless of what further revelations come out about her past actions or current beliefs. The show is one of flash and pomp, a game of dress up the body and the words, and those who have already fallen for the charade are not coming back, they've already made up their minds.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

Uh, I didn't vote Republican. kthxbye.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: BMW540I6speed
In the case of Palin it is clear that those who immediately reacted to her in a positive way will not now reject her under any circumstances, regardless of what further revelations come out about her past actions or current beliefs. The show is one of flash and pomp, a game of dress up the body and the words, and those who have already fallen for the charade are not coming back, they've already made up their minds.

Translation: the media loves Obama, refuses to talk anything bad about him for the most part, people got sick of hearing about Obama, media trashes a hockey mom and Obamania getting owned by people who perceive the media to be biased.

I wonder if Democrats ever learned lessons from losing so many presidential elections? My guess would be no. After all, they did nominate BHO.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Uh, I didn't vote Republican. kthxbye.

Right, you voted Democratic.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

I guess as long as you can keep losing, you haven't actually lost yet

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
My idea of a loser is someone who took a strong anti-military stance then tried to make their military service a centerpiece of their bid for President. Turning a sure win into a defeat but according to the Dems, thats the other guys fault.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005

Translation: the media loves Obama, refuses to talk anything bad about him for the most part, people got sick of hearing about Obama, media trashes a hockey mom and Obamania getting owned by people who perceive the media to be biased.

I wonder if Democrats ever learned lessons from losing so many presidential elections? My guess would be no. After all, they did nominate BHO.

Huh?, the media "refused to talk bad" about Obama?!, laughable...

Palin is a freak show, a distraction - which is the reason she was selected. This is not in spite of her lack of qualifications, Troopergate, pregant teenage daughter and "Sarah Barracuda" meme, but because of it.

Palin's gotten high marks mainly because she's a novelty act right now: the anti-Hillary, only one which few people know much about. Republicans want the Democrats to play hardball with her, to get in the gutter and sling mud. At best, as far as the GOP is concerned, it will make her a "victim" - Americans being notoriously sensitive about rough treatment on women, even in politics when the female candidate can play tough, need proof: See PUMA. At worst, it will throw the Obama campaign off its message and post-partisan theme.

While the MSM chases Sarah, the diversion makes it more difficult for the Obama campaign to get it to focus on the issues - a debate McCain is weak on. This is why Obama-Axelrod are not attacking her; Obama's response to Palin's attack on him Thursday was :

"I'm not running against Sarah McCain, but against John McCain and four more years of Bush."

In effect, what Obama is doing is marginalizing Palin, which makes sense since she is a Zero. Does anybody think she will be a player in the McCain Administration?. Think-tankers and other Serious Establishment "experts" who have spent decades in the system have no interest in what the "hockey mom" has to say about national security, - other than maybe some relatively unimportant wedge issues (Guns, gays and Guns) which keep the social conservative base energized, but which the McCain Administration, like previous "family value" presidents can't and won't do anything about in any substantive way See: faith-based programs.

The Obama campaign can't ignore Palin - it has to maintain its rapid response, defensive-offensive strategy - but it also cannot allow her to drive the campaign narrative. Otherwise, the McCain campaign can use the distraction of Sideshow Sarah over the final two months to keep the focus off the need for "change" - which is only a buzz word for the GOP.

Don't be fooled though - Palin is serious bad news...

As Rove well knew she's exactly the thing to set the religious right on fire. Democrats will also be making a mistake if they assume in the end people always vote the top of the ticket. Not this time in the case of these people.

They're coming out in droves not to vote "for" McCain or just for Palin as vice president but to vote for her national political future. They're voting for what they fervently hope WILL one day be the top of the GOP ticket. An extremist right wing star has been born. One way Biden and other Democratic men can at least partially inoculate themselves from the Republican charge that they're "beating up on a woman" is by couching their criticisms in a "compare and contrast her to Hillary Clinton" rhetorical style. I know Hillary Clinton and you're no Hillary, Gov. Palin.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

What?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets see, there are how may people in England? A quick google search shows some 60 million +. Thus far this is the second thread purporting to show what all 60 million+ think. At this rate we will reach a raw majority in another 29,999,998 more threads. But that is if and only if there are not some favorable to Obama British posters to spoil the party. And then we may have to wade through 60 million threads and patiently count all the opinions to get a definitive answer regarding a set of people not allowed to vote in American elections in the first place.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
My idea of a loser is a political party that cannot manage to win a Presidential election no matter how badly the other party governs. Oh, and then blames their losing on the stupidity of the American people.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
My idea of a loser is a political party that cannot manage to win a Presidential election no matter how badly the other party governs. Oh, and then blames their losing on the stupidity of the American people.

That's always my favorite part... "Oh, if only the American electorate were more enlightened.."

If you can't pinpoint why you lost and correct the situation you'll just keep losing. The dems never seem to be able to figure this one out.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: Woofmeister

That's always my favorite part... "Oh, if only the American electorate were more enlightened.."

If you can't pinpoint why you lost and correct the situation you'll just keep losing. The dems never seem to be able to figure this one out.

Right, like you two morons who vote for disaster are ever going to see you're morons.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Best paragraph of that article:

In an age when politics is choreographed, voters watch out for the moments when the public-relations facade breaks down and venom pours through the cracks. Their judgment is rarely favourable when it does. Barack Obama knows it. All last week, he was warning American liberals to stay away from the Palin family. He understands better than his supporters that it is not a politician's enemies who lose elections, but his friends.

Obama knows going after a working mom's family/children is a lose-lose move of political suicide at every level, and especially with 18 million Hillary supporters still angry over her not getting the party nomination. The question is, can his supporters and his media fans contain themselves to the issues? If they can't, they may win the battle but lose the war.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I would argue that a loser in this case is someone who votes for D or R and expects anything to change. The D or R after the name is enough to tell me that they stand for more of the same BS I've had to choose from my entire voting career. I don't know who I'm voting for yet, but I don't like my options at this point.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
I would argue that a loser in this case is someone who votes for D or R and expects anything to change. The D or R after the name is enough to tell me that they stand for more of the same BS I've had to choose from my entire voting career. I don't know who I'm voting for yet, but I don't like my options at this point.

1++

Democrat politicians = Agenda driven, power hungry criminals getting fat off the backs of the American working class citizen...

Republican politicians = See "Democratic politicians" and multiply that by 120-150%.

Bottom line... They're all crooks and unfortunately the last time this country as seen a true 'Quote' Patriot run for office, few of us here (if any) were even old enough to vote...

Nobody in this day and age is really in it for you "the little guy". The "Grass Roots" all dried up and wasted away long ago and if you honestly believe otherwise (regardless of party affiliation) then you're already too drunk off your own cool-aid to see the forest for the trees.
You pick your poison and that's about it...

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Druidx
My idea of a loser is someone who took a strong anti-military stance then tried to make their military service a centerpiece of their bid for President. Turning a sure win into a defeat but according to the Dems, thats the other guys fault.

Personal Responsibility.
Something the Dems still haven't figured out.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

QFT.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You don't know who to vote for so you have maintained something of an open mind. Let me tell you, then, what I think are the flaws in your opinion, the unexamined assumptions I see therein:

You assume that somebody voting D or R is doing so because the expect change.

In the first place R generally speaking stands for more of the same. Conservatives preserve what is good and see change as devolution in my opinion. McCain stands for change, a return to Republican values after the Republicans lost their way and were seduced by power. The farce that the out of office Republican were anti-government got blown out of the water when they held the congress and Presidency and now they are evoking those old values to be returned to power. They had a chance to change things and gave us a mass of corruption and seek now kindly Christian forgiveness. We just saw what they will do. The proof is very very recent. Those stupid bastards had their chance, in my opinion and it was a total disaster. McSame is 90% McBush. McSame became a maverick in 1998 when he voted against tobacco. His maverick status is a joke.

Obama is an unknown with a liberal voting record and a keenly intelligent mind who claims to want to work from the center of problems average Americans have. If elected he will have a Democratic congress, it seems likely. We do not know if he will bring change.

What we do know, however, is that if he is elected there will be a rare opportunity that he actually can bring change if he wants to. In short, only in Obama is there any hope at all that any real and meaningful change can come. It seems to me, then, the decision as to who to vote for is ineluctable.

What one cannot account for, however, is the invisible and unconscious bias that otherwise seemingly rational and intelligent people have about parties and labels. Obama is a Democrat and no matter how obvious it is that only he could bring change, there are millions of fools who think his change would be worse than we've had under Bush or will have under McSame. Statistically, it's totally irrational. Bush is a titanic disaster and the chance anybody could top him is practically nil.

So it isn't that I believe Obama will bring change. It is that only Obama can bring any that is meaningful. I am for the devil I don't know over the one that I do, because my guess is there's no worst devil.

America is not better off than it was 8 years ago and millions of Americans are hurting. A vote for Republicans is a vote for more on a downward path.