when are these people going to go to jail? sea sheapeard at it again.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Anyone who calls for the killing of people who are not threatening the lives of others like this is a moral scumbag and equivalent of a murderer.

Hey, let's condone poachers killing rangers who protect the animals, too. Do-gooders getting in the way of people making a living.

Sure, the law might be different - even if both protect business, one fishing and the other tourism - but it's not too different on the issue.

Or maybe there should be some political movement to have laws protecting animals appropriately that counter the business interests and pressure nations to pass them.

I'm that familiar with the question of whether these activists are more right or wrong, and there is a reason to jail lawbreakers.

But there is also a place for people to act outside the law when the law fails morality, and they are often heroes to do so. Remember sit-ins at white-only restaurants?
SS does threaten lives. I've seen them ram a ship in antarctica, not really a place you want to jump over board and swim to land at.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
I'd support the Sea Shepard folks if they bought a submarine and torpedo'd whaling ships...seems perfectly justifiable to me.

As for the tuna...yes, we're severely over-fishing many of the fish stocks in the ocean, but tuna is big money...and as we all know, money wins over conservation nearly every time.

I agree.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Anyone who calls for the killing of people who are not threatening the lives of others like this is a moral scumbag and equivalent of a murderer.

Hey, let's condone poachers killing rangers who protect the animals, too. Do-gooders getting in the way of people making a living.

Sure, the law might be different - even if both protect business, one fishing and the other tourism - but it's not too different on the issue.

Or maybe there should be some political movement to have laws protecting animals appropriately that counter the business interests and pressure nations to pass them.

I'm that familiar with the question of whether these activists are more right or wrong, and there is a reason to jail lawbreakers.

But there is also a place for people to act outside the law when the law fails morality, and they are often heroes to do so. Remember sit-ins at white-only restaurants?

They are indeed threatening the lives of others. They may not be showing up with a five inch bowchaser, or a torpedo launcher, but it's still piracy on the high seas. If somebody (the proven incompetent sailors of the Sea Shepherds, most likely) fucks up, everyone on both vessels could end up floating in the water. Even in this instance, they rammed a cage with people accessing it - easy to throw them into the water, and between two large craft, at least one of which being underway, it's easy to end up dead.

Your poachers and rangers analogy does not hold water. Rangers are on an official lawful duty, nor are they attacking poachers violently, nor are they in an environment where one wrong move can cause death. And there is absolutely no valid comparison to sit-ins at whites only restaurant.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I said, activities that do not threaten the lives of others.

Releasing a cage is far below that, playing word games with 'property violence'.

I understand there can be some activities that move up the spectrum to more danger and risk of personal injury, that make the issue grayer and grayer.

My post was the broader issue, not those gray areas.

Ramming ships and fishing cages endangers lives, in case you've never been on the water before.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
If the fish/whale is not an endangered species nor on the protected list then these moronic activists need their boats torpedoed. No, fish don't have feelings and yes, they are delicious food.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
I said, activities that do not threaten the lives of others.

Releasing a cage is far below that, playing word games with 'property violence'.

I understand there can be some activities that move up the spectrum to more danger and risk of personal injury, that make the issue grayer and grayer.

My post was the broader issue, not those gray areas.

Judging by the MO of the SS, I would say their activities are always a threat to the lives of others. And again, that's why I emphasize non-violent protest, if they want to protest. Their actions at this point cross-over from activism to terrorism. And yeah, maybe at one time I may have had sympathy for their beliefs...but certainly not for their ridiculous methods. The SS is antagonizing everyone and it really is amazing they are not getting hurt/killed by doing this.

As for the euphemism of "property violence", lol.

Last edited:

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Feel free to cite evidence to the contrary, but don't we have a serious fish stock problem on the horizon? It'd be better if they dealt with this legally but this doesn't piss me off like it probably pisses out the climate-change deniers out there.

Ah, so the rule of law has no place in your playbook. Nice to know where you stand.

If it isn't against the law but you think it should be against the law, you take the law into your own hands.

Got it.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
What I really hate about this guys is that while I do not agree with whaling, these Sea Shepard ass clowns sort of make me want to root for the whalers.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
What I really hate about this guys is that while I do not agree with whaling, these Sea Shepard ass clowns sort of make me want to root for the whalers.

same here. i am against whaling but when i do watch the show (i keep watching waiting for them to kill themselves) i root for the whalers. then i feel bad about it..

SoCalAznGuy

Banned
Mar 28, 2010
First thing is, these aren't simple fish that are abundent.

These fishermen are fishing for Atlantic Bluefin Tuna, which is on the brink of extinction. It status is beyond endangered, and there is a good chance that it is too late to save these fish. Because of these fishermen and people like them in less than a decade the Atlantic Bluefin Tuna is expected to go extinct.

SoCalAznGuy

Banned
Mar 28, 2010
If the fish/whale is not an endangered species nor on the protected list then these moronic activists need their boats torpedoed. No, fish don't have feelings and yes, they are delicious food.

These fish are endangered, infact they are beyond endangered, and if more isn't done by the world government, these fish WILL go extinct in less than a decade.

SoCalAznGuy

Banned
Mar 28, 2010
The people here who criticize the sea shepered are no different than the people who allowed for the dodo bird to go extinct. They sit by and do nothing as the species is ravaged, and attack those who dare protect it. These people wouldn't give a damn if all of the whales in the world suddenly went extinct.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
fwiw - Hopes fade of compromise over whaling

Prospects of a compromise deal between whaling countries and their opponents appear to be receding.

Two days of private talks at the International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting here yielded little progress.

Delegates told BBC News there were even suggestions that the "peace talks" should be extended into a third year.

The controversial compromise package would cut Japan's Antarctic hunt and put existing whaling programmes under international oversight.

But many see it as legitimising the whaling operations of Iceland, Japan and Norway.

Commercial whaling has been banned since 1986. But Iceland and Norway have lodged official objections to that decision and continue to hunt commercially, while Japan uses a regulation permitting hunting for scientific research.
Inching away

The "peace process" began formally two years ago at the IWC meeting in Santiago.

Initially it was supposed to last for one year. But to no-one's surprise, that proved too tight a timescale - hence the decision for a year's extension, and consensus agreement to strive for an outcome here.

Over the past year, the two blocs appeared to be inching closer.

But delegates from whaling countries and their opponents said that since arriving here, positions had if anything hardened.

With little progress in the private talks, the process for this meeting is now in some turmoil.

Delegates were unsure whether a second draft of the proposal, due out on Tuesday evening, would emerge at all.

"Without that, what are we to discuss?" wondered one European negotiator.

Japan is understood to be frustrated by demands that it must pledge to eliminate its annual hunt in the Antarctic.

The draft proposal would see its annual self-awarded quota of 935 minke whales cut initially to 400, then to 200 in five years' time.

Anti-whaling countries say those numbers are too high, but Japan is baulking at deeper cuts.

Iceland is vehemently opposed to the mooted ban on international trade in whalemeat because it believes there might be a viable export market; while Norway's position is that its hunt is sustainable, so why should it stop?
Hearing voices

In the anti-whaling camp, some governments have been stung by accusations that by contemplating a deal, they were preparing to "sell out" the global whaling moratorium.

Receiving a petition against lifting the moratorium signed by more than a million people on Tuesday, Australian environment minister Peter Garrett said the people of the world's voices against whaling needed to be heard.

Continue reading the main story Japanese fishermen with a 10m-long bottlenose whale at the Wada port

Japan 'uses aid for whale backing' Culture clash over Japan whaling Whales - 'resource' or 'right'? Send us your comments

"I certainly hear them today in front of the IWC meeting in Morocco," he said.

"In accepting this petition, I say that we too understand how important it is that this compromise proposal that's been floated, that would see the commercial whaling moratorium finish, does not succeed."

Abandonment of the compromise idea is one possible outcome of this meeting, which has three days left to run.

Some environment groups would applaud that, having been suspicious of the idea all along, while others would see it as a chance missed.

But talk of postponing a decision still further is likely to dismay everyone.

Opting for more negotiating time "would raise the question of the commission's credibility," said Remi Parmentier, senior policy adviser to the Pew Environment Group, which has been one of the organisations backing the exploration of compromise.

"It would also be very bad for whales, because it means another year of hunting outside IWC control by Iceland, Japan and Norway," he told BBC News.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
The people here who criticize the sea shepered are no different than the people who allowed for the dodo bird to go extinct. They sit by and do nothing as the species is ravaged, and attack those who dare protect it. These people wouldn't give a damn if all of the whales in the world suddenly went extinct.

Dodo bird extinct? Wow, did I miss that! I thought they're still here especially in the good ol' USA where they are really abundant! In fact, there's probably a lot of them in this forum!

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
These fish are endangered, infact they are beyond endangered, and if more isn't done by the world government, these fish WILL go extinct in less than a decade.

In a decade eh? I guess Al is not the only guy who makes up all these stupid speculations with zero basis! Seriously though, you're not related with Al G are you?