Question When are quantum mechanics chips coming?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Depending on how old you are maybe by the end of your life...
They are still in experimental stages needing some serious cooling that can approach absolute zero.
No way these will come out anytime soon for end users.

(Also they are not going to be of much use for computers, AI and brain simulation are the targets for science with quantum CPUs)

SAAA

May 14, 2014
We are just waiting the next develpoment in key tech, mass production is behind a few aspects like... not requiring mK temperatures and better interconnect to use the actual quantum bits.
Current CPUs have billions of transistors but only thousands of pins for input/output, that's one issue we'll have to solve before big quantum chips become useful, maybe optical communications to reduce power?
Timeframe? Couple decades to 50 years, but I bet more on lower side given the current pace of improvements, even after the relative slow-down with silicon scaling.
Punch cards, vacuum tubes, transistors, micro-chips... next!

Reactions: lightmanek

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I'm liking your thoughts SAAA slightly more than TheELF's more depressing view LOL. Fuuuuuuuu, I wanted you guys to say they were just a few years away. :(

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I'm liking your thoughts SAAA slightly more than TheELF's more depressing view LOL. Fuuuuuuuu, I wanted you guys to say they were just a few years away. :(
Hey, couple of decades could still be the end of your life depending on how old you are. :p