When are movie theaters supposed to open back up?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
This is so lame. Nanny says she can watch the kid so me and my girl can have a movie date night. Awesome, haven't been to movies in months. You know what? They are all still shut down. SO ridiculous. Now who knows how long it will be before the nanny is available for another date night. :( When are they supposed to open back up? Trump, work your magic and get American back OPEN... 100%!!!!!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I feel it could be a while, it's not really that big of a necessity and is kind of a high risk. Same with church services and public indoor events. You have like 100 people sitting in the same room for an hour or two, that is a pretty high risk situation if there's anyone that has the virus and does not know.

Now what movie studios should do is for any new movie being released it should either just go straight to DVD or they could have some kind of live stream service, if they want it to play at a specific time.

I sometimes go to the movies with my dad though so I kinda miss it too. He works all week except for Sundays so it's one of few things that's open on Sundays that we can do together.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The major theater chains have said they will open one week before new movies start being released. That will be mid July with the blockbuster Tenat slated for release on July 17. The week after that is Mulan. So you can expect theaters to open around July 10.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
This is so lame. Nanny says she can watch the kid so me and my girl can have a movie date night. Awesome, haven't been to movies in months. You know what? They are all still shut down. SO ridiculous. Now who knows how long it will be before the nanny is available for another date night. :( When are they supposed to open back up? Trump, work your magic and get American back OPEN... 100%!!!!!
Aww, you poor baby. Such terrible sacrifices you are making to help keep people safe.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

They are never opening up for you again.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dude, you're out of it. Get American back. Choke on this... it isn't likely to happen for a year, might be two years. Might be five years. Might not happen EVER! Get an education! I know, you don't give a shit about an education. Well, then suffer, 'cause you will without an education.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
WTF cares? A decent TV beats the theater experience any day. Your own snacks, your preferred temperature, a pause button for bathroom trips, no idiots on cell phones, comfy seats, the movie starts exactly when you want it to and and for most of us, the floors aren't sticky.

I honestly can't understand how theaters stayed in business before this and can't imagine why people will go back to them when they re-open. Anyone that watched a movie at home during the lockdown would almost have to see that it was better unless they were using a 13" Philco.

Reactions: lxskllr and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
WTF cares? A decent TV beats the theater experience any day. Your own snacks, your preferred temperature, a pause button for bathroom trips, no idiots on cell phones, comfy seats, the movie starts exactly when you want it to and and for most of us, the floors aren't sticky.

I honestly can't understand how theaters stayed in business before this and can't imagine why people will go back to them when they re-open. Anyone that watched a movie at home during the lockdown would almost have to see that it was better unless they were using a 13" Philco.
totally... I watch all my movies on my 4K TV/Monitor now. My sound system is totally awesome, or I can use my audiophile earbuds if I feel like it. Get the extras too.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
totally... I watch all my movies on my 4K TV/Monitor now. My sound system is totally awesome, or I can use my audiophile earbuds if I feel like it. Get the extras too.

Just read a piece about this last week. The theater chains are very worried that this is going to change how people will go to the theater even after they reopen. It's bad enough for them that this will show people that they can watch at home and have a better time, but this is also in danger of forever shortening "the window". Generally theater ticket sales have had a 3-4 month exclusivity window before a movie was released for rental, streaming or sales. Now movie fans are going to get used to movies being available for streaming much sooner. Will people be willing to go back to that long lag time and if the windows shorten, will people still go to movies or just wait a month and stream it? The system is a dinosaur and has refused to adapt to changing tastes and viewing habits, this could be the thing that pushes it over the edge. Mainstream theaters are just as doomed as XXX theaters were and just as doomed as arcades were.

BTW, I don't have a high end home theater setup. A 55" 4K (my god those are cheap now) and a decent sound bar and my environment still blows a theater out of the water.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Dude, you're out of it. Get American back. Choke on this... it isn't likely to happen for a year, might be two years. Might be five years. Might not happen EVER! Get an education! I know, you don't give a shit about an education. Well, then suffer, 'cause you will without an education.
It will happen sooner rather than later. We flattened the curve, the hospitals aren't overwhelmed, it's time to get back to it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I heard that movie theatres were going to do like the Adsult bookstores and have personal cubicles where you can insert quarters and watch your movie......

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It will happen sooner rather than later. We flattened the curve, the hospitals aren't overwhelmed, it's time to get back to it.
That's simplistic view. Some things come before others. Some activities are an invitation to disaster before there's herd immunity

Reactions: JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
That's simplistic view. Some things come before others. Some activities are an invitation to disaster before there's herd immunity
also lets be clear what kind of herd we are dealing with..... herd of donkeys or jack asses...lolol

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Can't have herd immunity until most people have had it. Can't continue to borrow tomorrows taxes to pay for yesterday. Can't leave thirty million people out in the cold.
The plan was to flatten the curve, we did it. The plan has reached it's goal. A whole bunch of people don't want a new plan, they want to pay their bills, they want to visit the dentist, they want to get the surgery that's been delayed, they want to open their business's and engage in commerce. These things will happen, they have to happen, waiting until it's "safe" isn't an option. It never was safe, it never will be safe.
Lets get on with it.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Can't have herd immunity until most people have had it. Can't continue to borrow tomorrows taxes to pay for yesterday. Can't leave thirty million people out in the cold.
The plan was to flatten the curve, we did it. The plan has reached it's goal. A whole bunch of people don't want a new plan, they want to pay their bills, they want to visit the dentist, they want to get the surgery that's been delayed, they want to open their business's and engage in commerce. These things will happen, they have to happen, waiting until it's "safe" isn't an option. It never was safe, it never will be safe.
Lets get on with it.
So, let a few tens of thousands extra die. No problem. They're old anyway, who cares, unless of course it is a member of your family, then you might feel differently. While we are at it, lets put an extra burden on our emergency responders and health care workers, who, despite all the claims of Trump and his cronies, barely if at all, have enough PPE.

Maybe let's even have a second wave that would be more devastating than the first.

Reactions: OccamsToothbrush

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The major theater chains have said they will open one week before new movies start being released. That will be mid July with the blockbuster Tenat slated for release on July 17. The week after that is Mulan. So you can expect theaters to open around July 10.

This is the plan right now however it depends on CA any NY allowing theaters to operate. They make up a big chunk of the domestic box. Based how things are going it seems on schedule.

As to the risk of movie theaters I think it's less than a lot of people might suspect, especially with distancing in place. A lot of outbreaks are linked to close contact combined with talking/touching/singing/exertion which produces a ton of droplets in poorly vented spaces. People sitting apart quietly in a reasonably well ventilated room is likely to be relatively low risk.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So, let a few tens of thousands extra die. No problem. They're old anyway, who cares, unless of course it is a member of your family, then you might feel differently. While we are at it, lets put an extra burden on our emergency responders and health care workers, who, despite all the claims of Trump and his cronies, barely if at all, have enough PPE.

Maybe let's even have a second wave that would be more devastating than the first.
And once again, this entire event was done so we could "flatten the curve". The entire plan was focused on not overwhelming the health care system. The healthcare system isn't overwhelmed, some hospitals are laying people off.
The stated goal has been achieved.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
And once again, this entire event was done so we could "flatten the curve". The entire plan was focused on not overwhelming the health care system. The healthcare system isn't overwhelmed, some hospitals are laying people off.
The stated goal has been achieved.

Yes, but the stated goal was always going to create as many problems as it was intended to solve. A side effect of "flattening the curve" is to spread the thing out for a longer period and create a false perception that the worst is past. So now the majority of people are itching to resume a "normal" life and will believe that herd immunity will kick in and protect them. Ondma is right back there up there in #21. Flattening the curve prolongs the danger for the people on the front lines and this rush to reopen because everyone is bored is going to start round two. And movie theaters are one of the worst possible environments short of nursing homes. People shout, laugh, spray fluids around and won't be wearing masks because they'll be stuffing their fat faces with popcorn and jujubes. Movie theaters and bars should remain closed indefinitely.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yes, but the stated goal was always going to create as many problems as it was intended to solve. A side effect of "flattening the curve" is to spread the thing out for a longer period and create a false perception that the worst is past. So now the majority of people are itching to resume a "normal" life and will believe that herd immunity will kick in and protect them. Ondma is right back there up there in #21. Flattening the curve prolongs the danger for the people on the front lines and this rush to reopen because everyone is bored is going to start round two. And movie theaters are one of the worst possible environments short of nursing homes. People shout, laugh, spray fluids around and won't be wearing masks because they'll be stuffing their fat faces with popcorn and jujubes. Movie theaters and bars should remain closed indefinitely.
I agree with all of that, you're absolutely right on point, and it's still time to get back to work. Protect those that are at risk, let everyone else have their lives back. All the ill's of society are on the increase, drug use, booze, domestic violence, child abuse. There are also hundreds of thousands that will never recover from the financial damage.
I don't know how to weigh lives ruined against lives lost, I don't know the calculus of comparing deaths right now to deaths and lives ruined in the future from the shutdown fallout. I do know that what we're doing now is unsustainable.

Reactions: JEDIYoda