When animals attack: darwin may have been on to something

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Oct. 8 ? A self-taught bear enthusiast who once called Alaska?s brown bears harmless was one of two people fatally mauled in a bear attack in the Katmai National Park and Preserve.

THE BODIES OF Timothy Treadwell, 46, and Amie Huguenard, 37, both of Malibu, Calif., were found Monday at their campsite when a pilot arrived who was supposed to take them to Kodiak, state troopers said Tuesday.

Treadwell, co-author of ?Among Grizzlies: Living With Wild Bears in Alaska,? spent more than a dozen summers living alone with and videotaping Katmai bears. Information on Huguenard was not immediately available.
The Andrew Airways pilot contacted troopers in Kodiak and the National Park Service after he saw a brown bear, possibly on top of a body, at the camp near Kaflia Bay.
Park rangers encountered a large, aggressive male brown bear within minutes of arriving. Ranger Joel Ellis said two officers stood by with shotguns as he fired 11 times with a semi-automatic handgun before the animal fell, 12 feet away.
?That was cutting it thin,? said Ellis, the lead investigator. ?I didn?t take the time to count how many times it was hit.?

The victims? remains and camping equipment were flown Monday to Kodiak. Ellis said investigators hope to glean some information from video and still cameras.
As the plane was being loaded, another aggressive bear approached and was killed by rangers and troopers. The bear was younger, possibly a 3-year-old, according to Bruce Bartley of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
The victims? bodies were flown to the state medical examiner?s office for autopsy.
Dean Andrew, owner of Andrew Airways, said the pilot was too upset to comment. The company had been flying Treadwell to Katmai for 13 years and Huguenard for the last couple of years. Andrew said Treadwell was an experienced outdoorsman.

CONFIDENCE AROUND BEARS
Treadwell was known for his confidence around bears. He often touched them, and gave them names. Once he was filmed crawling along the ground singing as he approached a sow and two cubs.
Over the years, Park Service officials, biologists and others expressed concern about his safety and the message he was sending.

?At best he?s misguided,? Deb Liggett, superintendent at Katmai, told the Anchorage Daily News in 2001. ?At worst he?s dangerous. If Timothy models unsafe behavior, that ultimately puts bears and other visitors at risk.?
That same year Treadwell was a guest on the ?Late Show with David Letterman,? describing Alaska brown bears as mostly harmless ?party animals.?
In his book, Treadwell said he decided to devote himself to saving grizzlies after a drug overdose, followed by several close calls with brown bears in early trips to Alaska. He said those experiences inspired him to give up drugs, study bears and establish a nonprofit bear-appreciation group, called Grizzly People.

I can't believe nobody else has posted this.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
there wild animals what did he expect, their wild give them space, and don;t bother them, they have huge claws and teeth for a damn reason

Dogg

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
7 more days until bear bow hunting season in NY...... Geeez... fired 11 times with a semi-automatic handgun at close range before one dropped? I've got an arrow, maybe time for 2 arrows.
<rethinks strategy>

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
7 more days until bear bow hunting season in NY...... Geeez... fired 11 times with a semi-automatic handgun at close range before one dropped? I've got an arrow, maybe time for 2 arrows.
<rethinks strategy>

LOL reminds me of a time where my friends and I played paintball upstate. We saw bears... we got our @sses outta there REAL fast.. LOL good times... man...we didn't even think about defending ourselves with the semi-auto sypder paintball guns :eek: Damn we were real wussies :(

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Oh great. Yes, I feel bad that these two individuals lives ended in the horrible way it did but let us not forget they were in the BEAR'S freaking territory. Thanks to their intrusiveness into the creature's habitat not only are they gone but two bears were killed as well. This callous and pompous position that all animals are cuddly, friendly creatures actually creates more harm to the animals well-being than ours.

Just ask Roy Horn....

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why oh why do people insist on trying to cheat death ? Jump off a building,jump out of an airplane,play with wild animals?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
"Treadwell was known for his confidence around bears. He often touched them, and gave them names. Once he was filmed crawling along the ground singing as he approached a sow and two cubs."

:Q

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
"Treadwell was known for his confidence around bears. He often touched them, and gave them names. Once he was filmed crawling along the ground singing as he approached a sow and two cubs."

:Q

yeah i dont think that was too smart, especially with grizzlies...

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
In his book, Treadwell said he decided to devote himself to saving grizzlies after a drug overdose, followed by several close calls with brown bears in early trips to Alaska. He said those experiences inspired him to give up drugs, study bears and establish a nonprofit bear-appreciation group, called Grizzly People.

ah, now i get it.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Now on CNN.

A transcription of the tape? Reminds me of the scene in the movie, Brazil, where the secretary is transcribing the "interrogation" tape.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
<rethinks strategy>

Where are brown bears in NY? You're thinking of black bears...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Stark
This story reminded me of that picture of the half eaten hiker.
wow...entered 'half eaten hiker' in google and found the pic right away...GROSS!!!...but at least his 'manhood' wasn't eaten!