What's your underrated Game of the Year?

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Sounds silly, but I'm going to vote for W@W - mostly because, after CoD3, I didn't have high hopes for W@W. But I'm happily surprised that I'm enjoying it as much as I am ... Anyone else have others?

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I would say Civilization Revolution.

I think it opens up turned based strategy games to people who would not normally play them, or have found them too tedious to play.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Gears of War 2, obviously.

On a more serious note, I have to say that I, unfortunately, have not had the chance to play any games that weren't well or overrated.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: RedRooster
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Pure was a pleasant surprise.

Agreed. As was Burnout Paradise.

BOP was definitely good. I think it was on a lot of people's radar's though so I didn't necessarily think it was a "surprise"

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Deadspace for sure.

I figured that Dead Space would have been my choice, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale. I can't bring myself to pay full price for a single player game since that's what I did for F3 and GoW2

Burrens78

Oct 19, 2004
Burnout Paradise was definitely not on my radar, but I had to buy it once I played it a couple of times at a friend's house.

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Deadspace for sure.

I figured that Dead Space would have been my choice, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale. I can't bring myself to pay full price for a single player game since that's what I did for F3 and GoW2

I had Dead Space on my radar until I tried the demo, which didn't do much for me. Maybe I'll give the full game a try via rental or bargain bin some day.

I haven't really played any games this year that I thought were underrated or unexpectedly good. Mirror's Edge might make that list but I'm holding off until it's cheaper. I did enjoy the demo.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Valkyria Chronicles for me, I thought it looked kinda dumb until I played the demo. Turns out its one of the best TBS games I've played, it's really fun.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Incredible Hulk. Got it cheap, but it was really good for what it was. Dark Sector was also pretty good. Was Kane and Lynch out this year? It had its problem, but it was pretty good when you got past the graphics and minimal controls. Its hard for games to be underrated these days with all the hype.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Does Persona 3 FES count for this year? I know the first came out in '07.

Otherwise I'd have to also say Valkyria Chronicles.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Burrens78
Burnout Paradise was definitely not on my radar, but I had to buy it once I played it a couple of times at a friend's house.

I thought that was released last year?

yours truly

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
with all the big releases, id say its been a disappointing year for gaming

not one game has stood out for me

but geometry wars 2 though

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: hopeless74

Sounds like it's time for you to pick another hobby, because your tastes have obviously outstripped the current gaming industry if you think it's been a disappointing year.

yours truly

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Originally posted by: hopeless74

Sounds like it's time for you to pick another hobby, because your tastes have obviously outstripped the current gaming industry if you think it's been a disappointing year.

i forgot LittleBigPlanet, thats it

ive been gaming since the 70's and I'll probably be gaming until i die, its just nothing really grabbed me, like last year

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Imported
Does Persona 3 FES count for this year? I know the first came out in '07.

Not as a surprise, alas, because Persona 3 was so freaking awesome. If it were up to me, Persona 3 FES would win game of the year anyways.

Otherwise I'd have to also say Valkyria Chronicles.

Agreed. Decidedly under-hyped considering how nicely it plays.

Pure was also a surprising one to me. Not sure it's game of the year material, but it deserves a real honorable mention. I think it would have been more of a contender if there had been more follow-on support.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I have no idea... I only buy the acclaimed/supposed AAA titles. Need to get me a Blockbuster membership or start downloading demos again.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Castle Crashers......good ol side scrolling button masher, been a while since one of those came out.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
Castle Crashers......good ol side scrolling button masher, been a while since one of those came out.

Definitely a good nomination. In the same vein of listing Arcade titles, how about Braid? I didn't see that one coming at all, and absolutely loved it.

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Originally posted by: CPA

I'm not sure if it qualifies as underrated but it definitely would be my vote. I love the overall style and design of that game, plus it's a classic button masher.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Hrm, here is my list of games that I feel haven't got the attention they deserve:

- Pure: I love arcade racers and this was the most fun I had with one this year. It's goregeous with a rock solid frame rate, super-fast, lots of action with an addictive trick system, has that unlockable carrot-on-a-stick part system that keep you playing "just one more", and manages to dodge a lot of the frustrating mechanics that most racers seem to have.

- Far Cry 2: I know this game has solid well and some people seem to be playing it, but I just lot this game to death. Everything about it is interesting and the spit and polish really shows. It's nice to have a FPS that takes you out of the "running down the halls" thing and mixes up flavors from Stalker, GTA, and the original Far Cry. Oh and just when you are ready for something to change, Ubisoft changes something in the game and it like a new chapter in a book.

- Echochrome: A wonderfully designed, unique puzzle game with a simple and elegant asthetic, an enjoyable & relaxing score and just overall fun. Might be the most relaxing game I've ever played! But I dont mean to imply that it will make you fall asleep as it ramps up the critial thinking to sort things out.

- Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (NDS): Yes I know--a Ninja Gaiden game right? Well this game--in my opinion--impliments the use of the stylus so well you will almost forget you're holding it--and it's an action game! Crazy.

- No More Heroes: A candidate for game of the year--yes it's that good. What's even more crazy is that generally speaking it's a pretty ugly game. Infact, the open city design is less impressive than an GTA PS2 game by far. But the dialog, story (the protagonist Travis Touchdown buys a "beam katana" an ebay type site, meets a hot chick in a bar who offers him a contract to become the #1 assassin in town (there are 10 total) to get in her panties. Seriously. Though it sounds deliquent in nature--and yes it is--it's actually very entertaining and good for a laugh), and overall gameplay with the Wii's remote + nunchuck is feirce and rewarding. Brilliant action game that anyone who has a Wii and loves a good sword fight should play.

- Pixel Junk Monsters: Oh my gosh I don't know how many hours my wife and me have sunk into this game. It's easily the most played game of the year for us. I've been a fan of Tower Defense games since the mod came out for Warcraft III years ago so to see something of that ilk come out on the PS3 for $10 just floored me. Yes, it's a bit goofy looking but the excellent strategic gameplay will hold your attention for hours.

-

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Dumac
Gears of War 2, obviously.

On a more serious note, I have to say that I, unfortunately, have not had the chance to play any games that weren't well or overrated.

You found Gears of War to be underrated? It got glowing reviews and just hit the 3 million mark.

Explain