What's your primary reason for voting?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: Baked
Because of this -

Prop R: Rename the Oceanside wastewater plant as the George W. Bush Sewage Plant
One of the main reasons people oppose this is because it's an insult to our award-winning sewage plant and the people who work there, and if we're going to rename something for Dubya, it should be something truly nasty. But SEIU 1021, the union that represents the sewage plant workers, has endorsed prop R.

We think this would be a fitting metaphor for the years of hard work we face in rehabilitating and reclaiming America's reputation in the world after eight years of George Bush and his cronies dumping shit all over us.

Some people don't want anything named for our Worst President Ever because they want to forget about him. We think that's a mistake. Our children need to reminded about what a horror-show these eight years have been. And we think we all share some blame. If we'd all worked a little harder on the 2000 or 2004 elections, maybe things could have been different.

Finally, Prop R was put on the ballot by a bunch of dedicated people who have never been involved in local politics. This wouldn't be our top priority, but it's awesome to see people learn how to work the system make their voices heard. Hell yeah.

Is that... real?
:shocked:

I would vote no because he didn't remove shit(other than regulation and jobs). They should vote to name a public bathroom in his honor. Many Congressmen deserve that honor too.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
my primary reason for voting is state/local issues, where my vote can actually matter... may as well vote for president as well while I'm there.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: mugs
This country isn't a democracy

Oh, of course..silly me.

Not sure what you mean by that reply, but mugs is technically correct. It's a Federal Constitutional Republic, which somewhat by nature, but mostly due to our Constitution, has a democratic style.

In practice, we're very close to a democracy, but not entirely.

As far as my answer to the poll?
I'm voting not necessarily because I'm obligated, but because it's my right and I feel I am educated enough to practice that right, and thus, am fulfilling my obligation to vote. Kind of circular, but it's my reasoning dammit. :p

When I vote, I have yet to ever vote for every single thing on the ballot, due entirely to the fact that I am not educated enough on every single position/candidate and/or issue.

It's such a fucking pain to even find the information to begin with. Especially on stuff like Judicial nominees and Board of Education members.

Loreena

Oct 30, 2008
I chose not to vote because my state is always blue no matter what and the electoral college needs to be abolished!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
For people who say they're not voting because their state's always Blue or Red, there are more than one item to vote for on any given election day. For the current election period, I got 4 sheets of ballots w/ a crap load of propositions and candidates. There's bound to be one prop or candidate that affects you or that you care about. You can register to vote for just that one item.

Because of this -

Prop R: Rename the Oceanside wastewater plant as the George W. Bush Sewage Plant

Is that... real?
:shocked:

Yes, it's real. Just mailed my absentee ballot today. Voted Yes on Prop R for the LULZ.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Not voting. When faced with the choice between a big giant douche and a turd sandwich what's the point?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
For people who say they're not voting because their state's always Blue or Red, there are more than one item to vote for on any given election day. For the current election period, I got 4 sheets of ballots w/ a crap load of propositions and candidates. There's bound to be one prop or candidate that affects you or that you care about. You can register to vote for just that one item.

I already looked at my local ballot and theres nothing for my city, and nothing for my county. The only 4 names I recognized out of the hundred or so for various positions was Obama, Mccain, Nader, and Dick Durbin.

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
I'm voting because I want lower, more fair taxes for everyone, the opportunity to buy guns, tougher immigration, and the end of environmental activism.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Crono
I'm not voting in the presidential election. I really can't choose between McCain and Obama because I disagree with both of them on many points. I'm independent, and feel no obligation to support either party.

Throw your vote away on a third party so maybe in the future people will start to take third parties seriously. That's what I'll probably do.
That's pretty much what I've done since I've started voting at 18. Usually libertarian, but whatever suits ya, I wish more people would vote for candidates not in the two main parties. I guess I find it hard to believe that so many people agree with just two main ideologies.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: clamum
Originally posted by: Crono
I'm not voting in the presidential election. I really can't choose between McCain and Obama because I disagree with both of them on many points. I'm independent, and feel no obligation to support either party.

Throw your vote away on a third party so maybe in the future people will start to take third parties seriously. That's what I'll probably do.
That's pretty much what I've done since I've started voting at 18. Usually libertarian, but whatever suits ya, I wish more people would vote for candidates not in the two main parties. I guess I find it hard to believe that so many people agree with just two main ideologies.

The party comes first, and that guides what they believe in.

BMdoobieW

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
Simple question, curious to see people's rationale behind it..I'll reveal my "reason" later.

Because it is my right/obligation to do so in a democracy

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Because fewer people will die over the next 4 years if Obama is President.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnCU
im not voting, south carolina is gonna be red no matter what i do so who cares

Don't you suppose that there are Republicans who feel the same way?

Thus, if enough Democrats got together and decided to vote, couldn't they overwhelm a non-voting Republican majority?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm not voting... Both candidates fucking suck and I rather not feel the guilt when the country goes further down the hole.