What's your primary reason for voting?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Simple question, curious to see people's rationale behind it..I'll reveal my "reason" later.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Leros
I feel it to be an obligation of a democracy, not just a right.l

You also ought to be informed about what you're voting on though, and most people aren't.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
im not voting, south carolina is gonna be red no matter what i do so who cares

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Voting early in the hopes that the early polls will influence other voters.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnCU

WTF, there's other shit on the ballot.

LOL

South Carolina Amendment 1, which deletes the current provision in the constitution that no unmarried woman shall legally consent to sexual intercourse who has not attained the age of fourteen.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Great place to meet grannies. Whenever I meet them at the nursing home I can't tell which are nimble. The ones that go out and about to vote are nimble.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Aren't you in NC right now? cast a freaking NC vote where it finally matters. SO many years a vote didn't make a difference there, now I'm gone :(

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'm not voting in the presidential election. I really can't choose between McCain and Obama because I disagree with both of them on many points. I'm independent, and feel no obligation to support either party.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Crono
I'm not voting in the presidential election. I really can't choose between McCain and Obama because I disagree with both of them on many points. I'm independent, and feel no obligation to support either party.

Throw your vote away on a third party so maybe in the future people will start to take third parties seriously. That's what I'll probably do.

S

SlitheryDee

right/obligation...

On a side note: I think they should include a math quiz in the voting process. If you get less than x% correct your vote doesn't count. Go learn some math and try again in 4 years. Doesn't have to be a math quiz exactly, just anything to make the person prove they can think. This "every warm body" voting approach is stupid.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
It's my obligation. I definitely do not strongly support either candidate. It's more of a hold my nose and pull the lever thing.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Crono

Throw your vote away on a third party so maybe in the future people will start to take third parties seriously. That's what I'll probably do.

I didn't think about that option, but I'm not sure if I want to cast a vote for a 3rd party unless I agreed with the candidate/party's platform. Even if just to stick it to the democratic and republican parties. I really do wish there were more major parties. Too bad for me Huckabee didn't win the nomination. I would have considered voting for him.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: mugs
This country isn't a democracy

Oh, of course..silly me.

Not sure what you mean by that reply, but mugs is technically correct. It's a Federal Constitutional Republic, which somewhat by nature, but mostly due to our Constitution, has a democratic style.

In practice, we're very close to a democracy, but not entirely.

As far as my answer to the poll?
I'm voting not necessarily because I'm obligated, but because it's my right and I feel I am educated enough to practice that right, and thus, am fulfilling my obligation to vote. Kind of circular, but it's my reasoning dammit. :p

When I vote, I have yet to ever vote for every single thing on the ballot, due entirely to the fact that I am not educated enough on every single position/candidate and/or issue.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I think that anyone who doesn't vote has no right to bitch about the government. I like to bitch about the government, so I have to earn that right.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

WTF, there's other shit on the ballot.

LOL

South Carolina Amendment 1, which deletes the current provision in the constitution that no unmarried woman shall legally consent to sexual intercourse who has not attained the age of fourteen.

It doesn't matter. It's one of those feel good amendments to try to get people out to vote. Just because she consents doesn't negate the other laws against underage sex. Plus it just looks bad.

He needs to come vote in Florence County though. I wants my alcohol on Sunday!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Because of this -

Prop R: Rename the Oceanside wastewater plant as the George W. Bush Sewage Plant
One of the main reasons people oppose this is because it's an insult to our award-winning sewage plant and the people who work there, and if we're going to rename something for Dubya, it should be something truly nasty. But SEIU 1021, the union that represents the sewage plant workers, has endorsed prop R.

We think this would be a fitting metaphor for the years of hard work we face in rehabilitating and reclaiming America's reputation in the world after eight years of George Bush and his cronies dumping shit all over us.

Some people don't want anything named for our Worst President Ever because they want to forget about him. We think that's a mistake. Our children need to reminded about what a horror-show these eight years have been. And we think we all share some blame. If we'd all worked a little harder on the 2000 or 2004 elections, maybe things could have been different.

Finally, Prop R was put on the ballot by a bunch of dedicated people who have never been involved in local politics. This wouldn't be our top priority, but it's awesome to see people learn how to work the system make their voices heard. Hell yeah.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked
Because of this -

Prop R: Rename the Oceanside wastewater plant as the George W. Bush Sewage Plant
One of the main reasons people oppose this is because it's an insult to our award-winning sewage plant and the people who work there, and if we're going to rename something for Dubya, it should be something truly nasty. But SEIU 1021, the union that represents the sewage plant workers, has endorsed prop R.

We think this would be a fitting metaphor for the years of hard work we face in rehabilitating and reclaiming America's reputation in the world after eight years of George Bush and his cronies dumping shit all over us.

Some people don't want anything named for our Worst President Ever because they want to forget about him. We think that's a mistake. Our children need to reminded about what a horror-show these eight years have been. And we think we all share some blame. If we'd all worked a little harder on the 2000 or 2004 elections, maybe things could have been different.

Finally, Prop R was put on the ballot by a bunch of dedicated people who have never been involved in local politics. This wouldn't be our top priority, but it's awesome to see people learn how to work the system make their voices heard. Hell yeah.

Is that... real?
:shocked: