What's your poison-ivy cure, ATOT?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
good news everyone! it's not poison ivy.

bad news - it's some other rash that i have to wait out. and the great irony is that hot showers are apparently bad for this rash (and i've been taking VERY hot showers :laugh:)

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Honestly considering uroshiol is mostly just oil soluble the best thing to do after getting it on you is to rub the affected area with a little soybean, canola, or whatever other vegetable oil you have laying around then wash it off with soap and you should be pretty ok.

Once it binds to protein there isn't much to do and whatever cream/pill your doctor gives you is about the best you can do. Since it's inflammation typical cold/ice/keeping it clean etc helps

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
wire&

+

bleach.gif

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
i should pay you. it's visibly better already

So wait, it wasn't poison ivy but Zanfel still worked? Wow. Didn't think I could be more impressed with that stuff, but I am now.

*looks suspiciously at Zanfel* Anything else you want to tell us? Are you also a dessert topping and a floor wax?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

bad news - it's some other rash that i have to wait out. and the great irony is that hot showers are apparently bad for this rash (and i've been taking VERY hot showers :laugh:)
is that good news? :confused:

well, hopefully it gets better fast for you. just an fyi, a friend of mine got a rash from his soccer shin guards that at first they thought was poison ivy.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Been swimming in bodies of water frequented by water fowl by any chance? The needing to avoid heat reminds me of the time I spent at a lake with friends and got duck rash from the middle of my thighs all the way down to my toes. It was like chicken pox x1000, unbelievable itching that made me want to flay the skin off my own legs. Doc said it's from little parasites that burrow into your skin, and that hot water makes them burrow deeper. The fix was sitting in a bath of ice cold water for as long as I cold stand it and basically just waiting it out.

Last edited: