What's your opinion on downloading TV shows off the internet?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I'm not talking about copying DVD sets of things like The Simpsons or The X-Files, but simply downloading current TV shows. Stuff that isn't available for sale anywhere, and if you missed the episode or don't get the channel, you have no way of watching it at all.

Considering they don't charge for them in the first place, and your allowed to make recordings, can it be considered immoral?

what do you think? Legal or illegal? moral or immoral? Any opinions?

Personally I see nothing wrong with it... they broadcast them for free exepcting people to watch them, I don't think there's a problem with watching them if they're being read off a hard drive insteda of a radio signal or coax cable.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I see no big deal against it as long as the commercials remain in them. Cuz really, that's where the money comes from right?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I see no big deal against it as long as the commercials remain in them. Cuz really, that's where the money comes from right?

Do you see a problem with getting up from the couch and going to the bathroom during commercials?

snowdogg187

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Tyler

Do you see a problem with getting up from the couch and going to the bathroom during commercials?

I do, I really see that as being illegal. If I hear of you doing that again I will be required to turn you in. :)

I really see no problems with downloading tv rips, I really don't know about the legality of it but morally I really think there is nothing wrong w/ it.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I don't see a problem with it. If anything, it keeps people interested in the show.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

That's not the point. Nobody says you HAVE to watch the commercials, just that they need to be there. TV stations make their money by promising advertisers that their product ads will be displayed during the breaks of whatever show may be playing. So long as the ads are there, then no harm, no foul.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

That's not the point. Nobody says you HAVE to watch the commercials, just that they need to be there. TV stations make their money by promising advertisers that their product ads will be displayed during the breaks of whatever show may be playing. So long as the ads are there, then no harm, no foul.

Seeing as how it's prerecorded, and you can skip over parts of it, you can just skip the ads anyway. Is it OK to skip the ads as long as they're in the file? I mean, if you don't have to watch them, then skipping over them seems ok.

Let's suppose you have a DVD-like file format with chapters. You set the ads to their own chapters, and have the file format skip those chapters by default, unless you specifically select them from the "chapter select" menu at the beginning? Would that be OK? I mean, they remain in the file, even if no one will ever watch them.

What I'm saying is that, if you're not going to watch them, why should they be there?

If the viewing of ads is worthy of compensation (and you say it is, watch the ads, get a free TV show), then shouldn't I get paid (or maybe a free movie or something) every time I drive pst a billboard on the freeway?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Seeing as how it's prerecorded, and you can skip over parts of it, you can just skip the ads anyway. Is it OK to skip the ads as long as they're in the file? I mean, if you don't have to watch them, then skipping over them seems ok.

Once again - you are missing my point. All that matters is that they are there, nothing more. So long as they are there, I see no reason why a network WOULDN'T have a problem with it besides the plain old "control" complex that many entertainment industries have.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
My parents are always watching the TV downstairs, so I never get a chance to see any of the programs. Also, being in the UK, means that we get things about 6 months at least after you. The only place I ever watch TV or see movies is on my computer (DVD + 5.1 kit), so downloading TV episodes is the only way I can see the programs I want to watch (Smallville, 24, Scrubs etc)

I don't see anything wrong with it, i'll continue to do it as long as the episodes are put out on the net, and I have my computer.

Confused

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oh, and nobody said you had to be compensated for watching ads. Your compensation is that you are seeing millions of dollars worth of acting pay and production costs for free.

Broncho

Jan 3, 2002
From everything I've read it is illegal to do it that way. You can't really compare it to using a VCR. It is legal to record stuff off broadcast for your personal entertainment but if you loan your tape out to someone else then that is when it becomes illegal.

That being said, go for it. I don't see a problem in it. :D

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

Once again - you are missing my point. All that matters is that they are there, nothing more. So long as they are there, I see no reason why a network WOULDN'T have a problem with it besides the plain old "control" complex that many entertainment industries have.

Would you say that it would be wrong to use software that removed the ads from ATOT without subscribing? What if the ads were removed, and there was a tiny link at the bottom of the page that said "click here to see removed ads"? Would that be ok since they are "there"?

Edit: what about time sensitive ads? "limited time offers" or movie previews, or anything like that. Is it ok to remove those once the event has ended, or are you still obligated to keep the ads in your file?

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Nothing wrong with it, if you miss a show, downloading it is the same as taping it on your vcr.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

It doesn't matter that they are there. The advertisers are paying for the guarantee that the ad shows during the initial broadcast. After that the network has no obligation to keep the same ad at the same spot with the same show. If they show a repeat, the ads during the show will change.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: MeanMeosh
don't see a difference between that and recording on a vcr...

in the olden days, when vcr's first came out, people sometimes taped shows and loaned them/traded them with other people, the internet just makes the group doing the sharing/trading larger

i am sure its uber illegal and doing it takes food out of the mouth of somebodies children