What's your gasoline costing?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've had better luck either making sure the stabilizer is thoroughly mixed and completely full -OR- completely empty and dried out. In between is where you can have problems sitting say over a winter.

The best thing to do for your car IS to keep the fuel as fresh as possible but you have to balance that with stirring up the crap that accumulates on the bottom of the tank when levels get lower and it slosh's around.

The healthiest thing for your motor/fuel system is to run it on the top 1/4-1/3 of the gas tank as often as possible and to avoid running it low. (many cars tell you this in the owners manual)
I'm having trouble parsing all this. Now, my winters are immensely more moderate than yours. It's unusual for the overnight temperatures to dip below the 30's.

Your comments above I'm not understanding. Completely dried out refers to what exactly?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm having trouble parsing all this. Now, my winters are immensely more moderate than yours. It's unusual for the overnight temperatures to dip below the 30's.

Your comments above I'm not understanding. Completely dried out refers to what exactly?

Empty the fuel-system and let it air-dry inside? :p

(won't need stabilizer if there's no fuel!)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Gee, how's that done? Siphon off what's in the tank, leave the gas cap off for a week???

You do realize that things other then cars run on gasoline right? ;)

Emptying a cars fuel-system completely is a bit of a project on most newer vehicles.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
And you are suggesting I do that?

Only if you don't plan on using the car at all for a LONG time! (that's what they do with cars that will be sitting potentially for years)

If you refer a few posts back I've already said what I suggest.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Fuel stability aside it's good to get the engine, trans etc moving too, and the tires. Also good to exercise the brakes. Everything really. So honestly I would suggest just going for a ride at least every 2 weeks just to get everything moving. Also might not hurt to put premium ethanol free fuel instead of regular. If not driving much not like the price difference will hurt much.

What you save in gas by not using it, you may end up spending on a major car part that ends up going bad prematurely.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fuel stability aside it's good to get the engine, trans etc moving too, and the tires. Also good to exercise the brakes. Everything really. So honestly I would suggest just going for a ride at least every 2 weeks just to get everything moving. Also might not hurt to put premium ethanol free fuel instead of regular. If not driving much not like the price difference will hurt much.

What you save in gas by not using it, you may end up spending on a major car part that ends up going bad prematurely.
Yeah, I have to ask at Costco if they have ethanol free gas. If not, I can look around for it. I have been taking a ride every two weeks, 10-20 miles, lately 20, mostly freeway speeds. Although 25 YO (at 34K) the car passes smog testing like a champ every time.

I was thinking today. I don't have a mechanic now. The shop I went to a couple times closed down and the guy I used to see I figure retired a long time ago. I contacted a highly recommended shop and they said they won't service a car as old as mine. I figure I should find a good mechanic BEFORE I need one!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
1.91/litre. Been topping up tank any chance I get while it's still under 2 bucks. Still expensive compared to what it used to be though.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
All gas sold in California uses ethanol as it's oxygenate. MTBE was used before but it's been years since they phased that out to ethanol.

Did you know both Henry Ford and Thomas Edison pushed for adoption of ethanol as our primary fuel for ICE? Something about not being beholden to a foreign power for fuel resources or some such nonsense. ;)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
$3.71 at Costco in NNJ today. Down from $3.89 10 days ago. And while every pump had a few cars in line behind it, I pulled up to the farthest right up with only 1 car getting filled out of the 2 slots. So I pulled right in front of a pump. First time that's ever happened. I think the new rules that only Costco members can fill up is helping the lines dramatically.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
On Wednesday, paid $5.10 per gallon for premium. My first time using Sam's Club gas, and the line wasn't too bad. Today it's dropped to $5 even. The average around L.A. for premium grade is about $5.50 as of now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
$1.75/litre for regular. That's around $6.65/gal.

Dropped quite a bit, we're almost around pre Ukraine war levels now, which is still higher than normal but at this point anything under 2 bucks is considered a bargain lol. I still remember when it was under a dollar.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
$3.71 at Costco in NNJ today. Down from $3.89 10 days ago. And while every pump had a few cars in line behind it, I pulled up to the farthest right up with only 1 car getting filled out of the 2 slots. So I pulled right in front of a pump. First time that's ever happened. I think the new rules that only Costco members can fill up is helping the lines dramatically.
That's a new rule for you? I thought that was the standard.