What's your gasoline costing?

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I gassed Saturday at the Safeway store. $4.42/gallon...used $1.00 in gas points for a net price of $3.42. Went by today, down to $4.37. That's down about 60 cents in just a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Brandon!

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
$4.17 for regular unleaded @ Mobil yesterday down 42 cents since the last time I gassed up.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
$4.17 for regular unleaded @ Mobil yesterday down 42 cents since the last time I gassed up.
Wow, that’s a good price for Mobile. The mobile near me is 4.49/g - so I’ll start going to Speedway @ 4.19/g even though it’s 4 miles out of my way it’s worth it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Wow, that’s a good price for Mobile. The mobile near me is 4.49/g - so I’ll start going to Speedway @ 4.19/g even though it’s 4 miles out of my way it’s worth it.

This Mobil is an anomaly and luckily it's right down the street from me! They're usually around 20-25 cents less per gallon then most top-tier stations in my area.

After I gassed up I drove by an Exxon station (same gas) that was @ $4.47.

Jun 18, 2000
That article doesn't speculate why. I wonder if the ridiculous heat over such large swath of the U.S. is keeping people indoors.

I've seen prices broadly about 3.70 a gallon, give or take.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That article doesn't speculate why. I wonder if the ridiculous heat over such large swath of the U.S. is keeping people indoors.

I've seen prices broadly about 3.70 a gallon, give or take.
I suppose between overall inflation on everything else and heat, that could cover a big chunk of it. I'm still surprised to see lower than 2020 levels though.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Lot of people bought big, heavy trucks, SUV's or muscle-cars with gas-sucking V-8's that cost insane amounts to fill up.

I was next to a guy who was filling up his late-model GM diesel MID-SIZED SUV yesterday (from about 1/4 tank) and his "quick fill-up" was $116!

:oops:

Meanwhile I threw $20 in my Honda and it gave me a little over a 3/4 full tank filled from just before the reserve-light coming on which should last me over a week.

This sounds like good news except $20 was a full-tank+ from empty not all that long ago.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I couldn't help but shake my head when I found out my daughter and her husband just leased a new Jeep. She had wanted to go electric, but he didn't. They do still have another gas-powered car, too, so it's not like they didn't have a simple option for long trips if they didn't want to worry about charging.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I hope you add a bit of gas stabilizer to the tank...
I just adopted that strategy. Bought a quart of fuel stabilizer but haven't added yet because I haven't put new gas in yet. I did add some Chevron Pro-Gard Progard Fuel Injector Cleaner with Techron, and when the tank gets almost empty I'm going to fill it 1/3 full and add appropriate amount of stabilizer. That way it won't get so old before replenishing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lot of people bought big, heavy trucks, SUV's or muscle-cars with gas-sucking V-8's that cost insane amounts to fill up.

I was next to a guy who was filling up his late-model GM diesel MID-SIZED SUV yesterday (from about 1/4 tank) and his "quick fill-up" was $116!

:oops:

Meanwhile I threw $20 in my Honda and it gave me a little over a 3/4 full tank filled from just before the reserve-light coming on which should last me over a week.

This sounds like good news except $20 was a full-tank+ from empty not all that long ago.

Yeah topping up my F150 from around 1/2 tank comes up over $100. Even before the gas hike it was around that. I try not to go below 1/2 tank but if i filled from empty surely it would hit $200. I put gas maybe once or twice a month at most though, really minimizing my driving and have only gone to my off grid property once. Can't really do work with my bad foot so no sense in driving all the way there without plan to put work into it.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay and Captante

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Most likely this is it. People trying to save money and reduce driving because of the inflation.

Multi-car households likely using their more efficient vehicles more heavily and the guzzlers mostly parked.

Dec 10, 2005
I couldn't help but shake my head when I found out my daughter and her husband just leased a new Jeep. She had wanted to go electric, but he didn't. They do still have another gas-powered car, too, so it's not like they didn't have a simple option for long trips if they didn't want to worry about charging.
Wanted to go electric, but the compromise was a continued symbol of American decadence and disdain for the climate? If he didn't want electric, the compromise should at least have been a hybrid instead of a vehicle from a manufacturer with some of the worst across the board fuel economy.

Reactions: Captante

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
$3.59 regular grade yesterday - which is $1 less per gallon than mid-June - when I did a road trip

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I just adopted that strategy. Bought a quart of fuel stabilizer but haven't added yet because I haven't put new gas in yet. I did add some Chevron Pro-Gard Progard Fuel Injector Cleaner with Techron, and when the tank gets almost empty I'm going to fill it 1/3 full and add appropriate amount of stabilizer. That way it won't get so old before replenishing.

Add the fuel-stabilizer BEFORE you pump the gasoline so it mixes up more effectively.

Also I would suggest that you fill the tank to the very top after doing the above to minimize any oxidation.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Add the fuel-stabilizer BEFORE you pump the gasoline so it mixes up more effectively.

Also I would suggest that you fill the tank to the very top after doing the above to minimize any oxidation.
There are trade-offs here:

At the rate you are using gas, if you only keep it 1/3rd full, the gas doesn't get as old before used and replenished with fresh gas. The trade off is you have to put gas in 3X+ as often but that's better for the fuel system than having varnish buildup. I just wouldn't run it near empty on hot days since being submerged in fuel does help keep the fuel pump cooler running.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've had better luck either making sure the stabilizer is thoroughly mixed and completely full -OR- completely empty and dried out. In between is where you can have problems sitting say over a winter.

The best thing to do for your car IS to keep the fuel as fresh as possible but you have to balance that with stirring up the crap that accumulates on the bottom of the tank when levels get lower and it slosh's around.

The healthiest thing for your motor/fuel system is to run it on the top 1/4-1/3 of the gas tank as often as possible and to avoid running it low. (many cars tell you this in the owners manual)

Last edited: