What's your gasoline costing?

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That works too, I could probably afford to lose like 10lbs, and save in food at same time. Every little bit helps. :p Actually my worse guilty pleasure is take out, I really need to start bringing food to work when I'm on night shifts or weekend shifts. (can't leave office). Take out ads up fast. Gas is the least of my concerns if I end up getting take out a few times a week.
Don't blame take-out for your self-control problem, you can get take-out and eat it responsibly.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Gasoline is on sale right now! Surprising considering it's a long weekend, normally it goes up.

$2.06/litre.

Provincial government was talking about removing the provincial tax on it, not the sales tax but the gas tax. Not sure if that happened already or not. I don't think it will make a huge difference but it's something.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
IIRC , I gassed up Thursday at $5.08, but used $1.00 in Safeway gas points, so, $4.08/gallon.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Gasoline is on sale right now! Surprising considering it's a long weekend, normally it goes up.

$2.06/litre.

Provincial government was talking about removing the provincial tax on it, not the sales tax but the gas tax. Not sure if that happened already or not. I don't think it will make a huge difference but it's something.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
haven't since before RU invaded Ukraine, but right now it would cost me around 6 bucks/gallon (bay area)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
And charger on the battery. I find if I don't go a full week the battery is flat. I probably do need a new battery though... but things like the auto start computer do draw some power. I installed a charger permanently so I can just plug it in like I would the block heater.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I hope you are putting fuel stabilizer in your tank.
Um, no. Last I filled up was Jan. 6, 2022. I have around 1/2 tank left. What should I put in there? If I fill up now, can I skip the stabilizer?
And charger on the battery. I find if I don't go a full week the battery is flat. I probably do need a new battery though... but things like the auto start computer do draw some power. I installed a charger permanently so I can just plug it in like I would the block heater.
My last battery lasted 9 years. I was actually trying to replace it more than a year earlier but my preferred source (Walmart) was OOS and never resupplied. Their price was WAY better than anybody else, so I held on. Yes, I put a trickle charger on the battery every time I got home. So, I went and bought a new battery not two months ago, screw Walmart. I'm still keeping that trickle charger on the battery, though. I hear a car battery will last longer if you keep it fully charged, so I do it new or not. I also check the charge with a multimeter before leaving the house. No real hassle because removing the charger necessitates propping the hood up anyway.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would at least take the car out for a ride once in a while even if you don't actually go anywhere, probably not good to have old fuel sitting in all the lines and what not and it's good to get everything moving. Brakes too should get at least some use.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I would at least take the car out for a ride once in a while even if you don't actually go anywhere, probably not good to have old fuel sitting in all the lines and what not and it's good to get everything moving. Brakes too should get at least some use.

I find if I don't drive for 4-5 days I'll get some brake-noise on the first couple stops.... 2 weeks or more can lead to battery problems with many cars unless you remove the positive terminal for storage. (you can attach a trickle-charger if it will be months and/or very cold)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I try to every 2 weeks. During pandemic, it was highway rides to nowhere. After getting vaxxed, I was (and still am) driving 5 miles to Costco and 5 miles back, once every two weeks. I was extending this a bit, driving past Costco and doubling back to make the whole trip about 20 miles, but stopped doing that the last few months because of gas cost. I suppose I should ignore the cost and just stretch it out on the highway those extra 10 miles. So, should I add stabilizer too? The rest of the time (i.e. two weeks at a time) the car just sits in the driveway with a trickle charger (harbor freight) on the battery.

My old now-retired mechanic told me if he only drove a car once in a while he'd try to have the tank pretty full. Otherwise air gets in the tank and its moisture gets in the fuel, which is tough on the engine. I think taking long drives burns that moisture out of the fuel or whatever (engine oil?). I remember hearing something like that.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Still at like $.12/kWH

$.07 to fill up my Rad Runner and $7-8 to top off the Mach-E.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Here in Tallahassee prices have retreated from a local high of about $4.89 for reg to $4.37 and $4.24 at Sam's and $4.25 at Costco. Glad to see it going down.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
We were out Thursday in Tallahassee and all the stations we saw were $3.59 for regular. Yesterday they were all $3.79 so we filled up at Sam's since it was $3.39. Today all the same stations were $3.99. Up 40 cents in 2 days. Yikes. Sam's and Costco are $3.63. How about wherever you are?
Gas buddy app is amazing.
You enter your destination and it'll tell you cheapest gas on route 😯

Reactions: Kaido and Muse

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Went up to 6.69 yesterday.
Probably be at 7.00 before the 4th of July
Fully expected to pay 6.50 or more on my next fill up.
So last week I paid 6.00/gal. Although this was was still .70/gal more than I have ever paid before, gas prices have been dropping the past couple weeks. That standard station has dropped to 6.39 and gas can be had for 5.85/gal now at ARCO and Costco.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This price disparity between diesel and unleaded is annoying.
$4.90 for unleaded, $6.10 for diesel.
This time last year, it was $3.56 for unleaded and $4 for diesel.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
This price disparity between diesel and unleaded is annoying.
$4.90 for unleaded, $6.10 for diesel.
This time last year, it was $3.56 for unleaded and $4 for diesel.
when was the last time diesel was normally cheaper than gas?