What's your gasoline costing?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Russia might have to operate self-sufficiently for the foreseeable future.
They'll still have China. Just about any country + China won't have too many hardships, at least as far as necessities go.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They'll still have China. Just about any country + China won't have too many hardships, at least as far as necessities go.

I don't know that becoming a Chinese dependency is exactly what Putin envisioned with this ill advised venture to recreate imperial Russia.

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hard to believe that less than two years ago that oil went to zero....then actually went negative. Yet gasoline remained over $1.00! :(

They should have paid me to fill up!!!

Then later I found out some pesky kids in the UK made $650,000,000 shorting OIL and were partially responsible for making it go negative:

whoa, that was bonkers. Can't wait to see the full story on these guys. I can't really imagine their situation being...some crazy luck, right? It's not like they had any known way to really manipulate the sell off, going into the day, so, damn.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I can't possibly give a fuck about this. walking more and taking PT seems preposterously convenient compared to Ukrainians worrying about getting shelled by Russians.
You’ll never see me complaining about gas prices. Ours is rather affordable compared to other Western nations. But average Joe doesn’t think like you or I when they’re filling up their V8 truck and gas crosses that $4 marker.

I think in this case the reason for higher energy costs matters a lot in public perception. With the media full of images of Russia shelling civilians there is a sense that these are costs the west is largely willing to bear as essentially a wartime condition. A lot of people were complaining about higher fuel costs before now largely as a result of tighter financial discipline on the part of US shale drillers constraining production in the name of greater profitability but they were not making that connection. This is a lot more straightforward.
Too much faith in citizens connecting the dots. You have the usual suspects in this forum claiming Joe Biden “killed” the U.S. oil industry. NBC News found a couple folks who genuinely are willing to pay a little more for gas if it starves Putin, but most will sing a different tune when pump prices exacerbate inflation.

The administration is clearly moving to loosen supply from Venezuela and Iran which would help some. US drillers are sitting on tons of exploitable leases but exercising fiscal discipline with how much they expand so as not to be caught in a glut. One thing I really do think is that the valley of low cost fuel we saw from 2014 till COVID isn't likely to return. So once again MPG is going to actually matter to buyers big and small. I expect the move into electrification to substantially accelerate as a result.
EV adoption acceleration is the type of unintended consequence we could cheer on.

Reactions: zinfamous

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Gas seems to be 3.99 around here. But I'll fill up at Costco tomorrow when I do my bi weekly run there. Usually at least 20 cents cheaper.

For a while I wanted the biggest Prius as my next car, then a Subaru outback, but whenever that happens I'm back in hybrid land and hoping for a RAV⁴ hybrid or again a Prius.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
i was gonna get rid of my tiny cramped honda and get a subaru with a little more room

but now i think i'll keep this uncomfortable 37-mpg-getting thing for another 10 years

How much for the tiny, cramped honda with bad paint, bald tires and awesome gas mileage?

ThatBothBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
My decision to buy a used hybrid (Niro) last January before used car prices skyrocketed is looking like a 5D chess move right now. I'm averaging and 52mpg which definitely softens the gas prices blow. Around Tampa we just crossed $4. I do feel for those less fortunate that have to commute for work.

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
$4 or so for regular, but I buy premium and couldn’t even say for sure what it costs. It couldn’t be less consequential to my budget with how little I drive these days. Probably had more track miles than normal miles last year and I only went a handful of times.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
WTI has gone up some more, wouldn't be surprised if most places are another 20-30 cents tomorrow.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Now would be a good time for Ford to make a bunch more of those 40 MPG Maverick Hybrid pickups.

If they were popular before... woo boy they'll be much more popular when gas is $5 a gallon.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
$4 or so for regular, but I buy premium and couldn’t even say for sure what it costs. It couldn’t be less consequential to my budget with how little I drive these days. Probably had more track miles than normal miles last year and I only went a handful of times.
Even costco up in norcal is pushing $5.50, and I've hear some stations as high as $6.40.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Oil limit up to $125 a barrel on world tensions. Looks like the $200 prediction for June my come sooner than expected.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
$4.19 on the way into work this morning. That was wawa, so one of the cheaper prices around. I could probably find some for $4.50 not too far from home.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Haven't crawled out to drive but the Safeway in well water country went from 3.75 to 3.83 on their website.

TO THE MOON! :(

Dec 10, 2005
Then the price of electricity will soar to match the increased demand...
The demand increase from EVs isn't as much as you think. There is a lot of slack in demand at night, the prime time that EVs would be charging - so production can easily be ramped up, and a lot of excess solar production during the day that may not be used up right now. Our power grid isn't at full tilt 24/7.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Went from 3.51 to 4.19 in 5 days. I keep hoping Americans will change their habits when gas shocks occur, but they don't. They just complain about how expensive is it to refill their 4 wheel drive, 19 MPG gas-guzzler, when they never tow anything and never see snow.

I think the big increase is just traders making a killing. Buy oil companies who have trading desk for oil as they wil report record profits. I make way more in oil stock gains than I do paying extra for gas. Unfortunately many people aren't as lucky.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
3.79 at Costco in northern NJ. In line right now for my almost bi monthly fill up.

Dec 10, 2005
Went from 3.51 to 4.19 in 5 days. I keep hoping Americans will change their habits when gas shocks occur, but they don't. They just complain about how expensive is it to refill their 4 wheel drive, 19 MPG gas-guzzler, when they never tow anything and never see snow.
I've driven a FWD-only sedan my whole life. You don't need AWD or a 4x4 for snow in most parts of the country. You don't need an SUV for a family of 2.5 (I grew up with 2 siblings: my parents only ever had sedans). Americans have bought into a weird fantasy that they need these land barges - a fantasy fueled by very effective auto advertising and cheap gas.