What's your gasoline costing?

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
$2.25/litre here now.

Demanding cheap gas is also a form of climate change denialism. We can't keep subsidizing people's shitty automobile choices.

Nobody CHOOSES to pollute, but that's the options that have been put in front of us for decades. EVs are taking a long time to become normalized and are way too expensive, so most of us can't afford one. I do eventually want to go green for everything but that requires a big investment, because those options are not the ones that are standard for sale. You kind of have to go against the grain if you want to go 100% green, and it costs. For heat, gas furnaces are what they push and what is the most affordable, for driving, gas cars is what they push and is what is most affordable. So to go against that you're getting more into niche market like heat pumps and EVs. Then there's the fact that everything we buy is made in China, so the carbon footprint is extremely high because of all the shipping involved in the materials and the final product. In some cases we ship minerals to China and they ship the raw product back,

The real polluters though are corporations, and world elites. It's dumb to demonize individuals while we are not even the biggest polluters, and mostly don't do it by choice but by necessity due to other options simply being too expensive.

My carbon footprint is most likely negative given I own 40 acres of forest. Kind of hard to really measure that but it's probably a safe assumption.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
$2.25/litre here now.

Nobody CHOOSES to pollute, but that's the options that have been put in front of us for decades. EVs are taking a long time to become normalized and are way too expensive, so most of us can't afford one. I do eventually want to go green for everything but that requires a big investment, because those options are not the ones that are standard for sale. You kind of have to go against the grain if you want to go 100% green, and it costs. For heat, gas furnaces are what they push and what is the most affordable, for driving, gas cars is what they push and is what is most affordable. So to go against that you're getting more into niche market like heat pumps and EVs. Then there's the fact that everything we buy is made in China, so the carbon footprint is extremely high because of all the shipping involved in the materials and the final product. In some cases we ship minerals to China and they ship the raw product back,

The real polluters though are corporations, and world elites. It's dumb to demonize individuals while we are not even the biggest polluters, and mostly don't do it by choice but by necessity due to other options simply being too expensive.

My carbon footprint is most likely negative given I own 40 acres of forest. Kind of hard to really measure that but it's probably a safe assumption.

Why is this limited to EVs? We've had cheap hybrids with good MPG (40s and 50s) for quite a while. People just decided not to buy them because gas was cheap and that would not change of course lol.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Nobody CHOOSES to pollute, but that's the options that have been put in front of us for decades.
They absolutely do. Tons of people rolling around in vehicles with low MPG by deliberate choice--they were free to make that choice, and they chose a truck, because they haul a thing once every year or two, or a truck just because of the associated machismo, or an SUV because it sits higher up, or an SUV because it's not a minivan, or they mod their vehicle to roll coal, or they remove emissions equipment in favor of performance, or, or, or...

Dec 10, 2005
This line is total BS and deprives people of their personal agency. Corporations are doing things because people are buying their products. ExxonMobil may end up as a big contributor if you attribute all downstream users' carbon to them, but people are buying their oil to drive around in their crap fuel efficiency vehicle. People continuously lobby against changes that would make their communities less car dependent. You don't have to outlay a ton of money to get a fuel efficient vehicle - you just have to start by not buy a truck or an SUV. Where is the personal responsibility there?

Corporations are bad because they've lobbied for cheap gas, fuel inefficiencies, and against moving us to greener forms of energy. However, individuals also play a role in the choices they make and the policies they support.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
$4.99. Didn't notice if diesel moved.

NW PA

Anyone know roughly how many kilowatts or KWh it takes to charge an electric car battery if it's say down to 20% or so? I nearly broke out laughing when one of my co-workers said the other day after reminding everyone of the electric rates going up.. "I bet all those people that bought electric cars are kicking themselves in the ass now". But i guess i'm under the assumption that's it's way cheaper to "fill" a battery than a gas tank.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
They absolutely do. Tons of people rolling around in vehicles with low MPG by deliberate choice--they were free to make that choice, and they chose a truck, because they haul a thing once every year or two, or a truck just because of the associated machismo, or an SUV because it sits higher up, or an SUV because it's not a minivan, or they mod their vehicle to roll coal, or they remove emissions equipment in favor of performance, or, or, or...
Governments don't seem to find rolling coal a big deal, because the places without the mechanism of enforcement are lowly populated backwaters. Such backwaters necessitate an appropriate vehicle to navigate the conditions. Coal rollers are a subset of a subset.

As for trucks, the question would be more targeted at women and what exactly they are using their trucks for.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Governments don't seem to find rolling coal a big deal, because the places without the mechanism of enforcement are lowly populated backwaters. Such backwaters necessitate an appropriate vehicle to navigate the conditions. Coal rollers are a subset of a subset.

As for trucks, the question would be more targeted at women and what exactly they are using their trucks for.
What part of this meandering response refutes my statement?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
What part of this meandering response refutes my statement?
Some choices are more justified than others; such as work or logistics. By lumping them into an indiscriminate list, it makes appear that all listed choices are equally unjustified and have no basis of "necessity".

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Anyone know roughly how many kilowatts or KWh it takes to charge an electric car battery if it's say down to 20% or so? I nearly broke out laughing when one of my co-workers said the other day after reminding everyone of the electric rates going up.. "I bet all those people that bought electric cars are kicking themselves in the ass now". But i guess i'm under the assumption that's it's way cheaper to "fill" a battery than a gas tank.

I think it still ends up way cheaper. I heard figures under $10 to completely charge an EV, of course there's lot of variables like the size of the battery pack etc but it's in that ball park I think. With gas it's at least $100 to fill up even a small car now days.

With electricity you can also generate your own which is nice so in theory it can be free. If I had an EV I'd probably try to charge it mostly with solar power. I work shifts though which makes it easier for me since I have lot of days off where truck is just sitting in the driveway all day. If working every single day it's kind of hard since you'd never get much time where the car is at home in day time and can be plugged in.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Some choices are more justified than others; such as work or logistics. By lumping them into an indiscriminate list, it makes appear that all listed choices are equally unjustified and have no basis of "necessity".
Nope, every single one I listed was a deliberate optional choice, not one of necessity. If you want to try again, please refute my items point-by-point so we're sure we're actually having the same discussion.
There is no backwater that REQUIRES a vehicle that's been modified to roll coal. I've owned diesel vehicles; I understand the mechanism at work, and there are situations where a diesel can produce a black cloud under normal conditions. That's not "rolling coal".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
$4.99. Didn't notice if diesel moved.

NW PA

Just off utility power at home it is less than $9 to fully charge our Model 3 to its full listed range of 353 miles. Real world range is a little less but still way way cheaper than gas. My 330e reaches its 16-18 mile EV mode range on an 80 cent charge.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

You just need to run some calculations and you need to know your cost per kwh of buying electricity at your residence.

For me my cost per kwh is $.19. This is overnight hours for my TOU. If I charge between 4pm-9pm, my cost is per kwh is $.48. I never charge my car during peak time. A standard sedan style EV will do about 3-4 miles per kwh. You could also look at the Monroney sticker for a EV.

For my 2019 Nissan Leaf, I get fairly consistently about 3.4 miles per kwh. This is with about 70% city street driving and a exuberant driving style. Yes I enjoy that instant torque from a electric motor.:cool: You take $.19 and divide by 3.4 and you get $.05589 per mile. You then need to add about 15% on top for charging loses, the onboard charger on a EV isn't 100% efficient. At this point as a rough estimate I can get my per mile energy cost at $.065. If gas was $6 a gallon and your car got 40 mpg your per mile energy cost would be $.15.

Your cost to charge is highly dependent on your ability to charge at home and your cost per kwh of electricity. A nearby Chargepoint DC Rapid Charger, charges $.44 kwh. My energy cost per mile would be roughly $.15 per mile which is the same per mile energy cost as a vehicle getting 40 mpg and with gasoline at $6 a gallon.

Reactions: gorobei

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
You just need to run some calculations and you need to know your cost per kwh of buying electricity at your residence.
My question was more about my co-workers quote than anything really. I mean, using his rate increase my last months bill would go up about $7.
I know what my rate is at home i just didn't know how much it would take to nearly fully charge a battery, i've never looked into it.

If i ever do buy electric all charging would be done at home. Right now there is exactly one public charging station in town. I'm sure it'll grow over time but slowly in small town America.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
My question was more about my co-workers quote than anything really. I mean, using his rate increase my last months bill would go up about $7.
I know what my rate is at home i just didn't know how much it would take to nearly fully charge a battery, i've never looked into it.

If i ever do buy electric all charging would be done at home. Right now there is exactly one public charging station in town. I'm sure it'll grow over time but slowly in small town America.

Just take the average miles you would drive per month, lets assume 1200 miles and then divide by 3.5. In this instance it would add about ~400 kwh to your electrical bill. If you use a EV with worse miles per kwh, like a F150 Lightning then instead of assume 3.5 miles per kwh you could do 2.5.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you have an EV it's a good idea to setup solar panels too. Solar is probably at the cheapest it will ever be right now. With inflation, supply chain breakdowns, silicon shortage etc I presume the cost is going to start going up in the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brovane

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Best is around $4.99 around here. Sucks for people and families on the lower wage scales who have to commute in order to find reasonable rents/home prices.

Dec 10, 2005
Best is around $4.99 around here. Sucks for people and families on the lower wage scales who have to commute in order to find reasonable rents/home prices.
It does suck, and it's a real shame because we as a society did this to them with exclusionary zoning and effectively banning the building of walkable neighborhoods in most of the country, driving people into sprawling, car-centric wastelands.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
It does suck, and it's a real shame because we as a society did this to them with exclusionary zoning and effectively banning the building of walkable neighborhoods in most of the country, driving people into sprawling, car-centric wastelands.
Well, I live in a small city, most of those problems affect us. Zoning more areas for low cost housing would help with our worst problem, but attracting builders becomes a major problem without incentives. Rents prices and starter home prices are just out of control.

I do under that larger cities have those problems and surrounding towns don’t want low cost neighborhoods - keep those damn poors out of my backyard.

Dec 10, 2005
Well, I live in a small city, most of those problems affect us. Zoning more areas for low cost housing would help with our worst problem, but attracting builders becomes a major problem without incentives. Rents prices and starter home prices are just out of control.

I do under that larger cities have those problems and surrounding towns don’t want low cost neighborhoods - keep those damn poors out of my backyard.
You don't have to zone for low cost and concentrate people of lesser means. You just have to allow housing to be built like what used to be allowed instead of only zoning for large lot SFHs. Allow people and developers to put up smaller homes on smaller lots, duplexes and all the other missing middle housing that used to exist. The reason it isn't built now is that most things require variances (and thus, some form of political grift) to get anything built, so you either get some large developer putting big things up or more suburban sprawl that people can't afford.

Reactions: ElFenix and Brovane

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
$4.89 for regular @ Mobil earlier today ... even @ 40 mpg driving an ICE vehicle is one heck of a pricy way to get around.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Still $2.25/litre here. That's about $8.55/gal.

Hardly been needing to drive in the past weeks since I was either off, or working from home. Starting night shifts next week though so I'll be working from the office.