What's your favorite sci-fi or fantasy series? (novels that is)

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
There are so many out there, the Asimov Foundation series. Tolkien and the Ring series, Brooks and the series in Shannara.

So whats your favorite and why?

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Song of Ice & Fire series by George R.R. Martin (3 books so far)

Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson (3 books so far)

Redwall series by Brian Jacques (a lot of books so far)

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Without a doubt, by far the series I have ever read is the Shannara 9 books series by Brooks.

David Eddings Belgariad and Malorean (10 books) was also very good.

As far as single books go, Tigana and Pillars of the Earth top the list.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Anyone vote for the wheel of time by Robert Jordan? I am starting the first book now.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Anyone vote for the wheel of time by Robert Jordan? I am starting the first book now.

It's good. It's actually starting to get rolling now . . . after what, 9 books? ;)

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
I'll vote for that. I'm reading it again now at a more leisurely pace. This is the third time I've read it through, I think. Definitely gets better with each read. I haven't read a lot of fantasy, but I really enjoy Wheel of Time.

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
There seem to be a lot of book threads lately (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Okay, maybe not that many, but it seems like a large number over the weeks.

Having said that... :p

The Ender's series by Orson Scott Card ... a series I've enjoyed reading on varying levels. Just as a good read, for the views on humanity..
Earthfall series by Orson Scott Card (again) ... 5-6 books, enjoyed again on varying levels for how he works religion and faith into it as well as the human struggle.
Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman ... also wrote some Dragonlance novels, if I remember correctly. The first book starts off a bit slow, I think but is definately enjoyable towards the end.
New Jedi Order series, different authors ... Star Wars, 'nuf said. :D
Knight of the Word series by Terry Brooks ... (Running with the Demon, A Knight of the Word, Angel Fire East), good vs evil. Good fantasy, puts religion in a different light.
Dune by Frank Herbert ... duh.
LotR by Tolkien ... just getting into this one.

Y'know, I never realized how many of the series' I've read have something to do with religion. And I don't consider myself religious at all. Anyway...

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Dang . . . looks like a long wait.

Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, Book 10)
by Robert Jordan
This item will be released on January 7, 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

A Feast for Crows
by George R. R. Martin
This item will be published in April 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Xerox Man

by Robert Jordan
This item will be released on January 7, 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

A Feast for Crows
by George R. R. Martin
This item will be published in April 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.
Long wait for WoT #10, but that's fine with me. Lots of big stuff happened in #9. I hope #10 is a killer book. I'm looking forward to it. It'll give me time to work on re-reading the series again, though.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Xerox Man

by Robert Jordan

A Feast for Crows
by George R. R. Martin

oh man, cannot WAIT for Ice & Fire book 4. Catelyn Stark is gonna bust some sh*t up!

I really like WoT, but once I read George R.R. Martin and Steven Erikson, I dunno if I can go back to Jordan... but i probably will anyway.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
It would have to be LOTR, I only read it 7 times, Simarillion 3 times, Hobbit 3 times.

But, I would have say I also really enjoyed the Foundation series enough to finish the whole thing.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Tolkien's - Middle Earth books
Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee - Rama series
Orson Scott Card - Ender's series
Stephen King - Dark Tower series

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: yakko
Tolkien's - Middle Earth books
Stephen King - Dark Tower series

What he said, he has taste. ;) I am gonna have to check out those other two, since we like the same books so often.

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Ender's Game
LOTR
Wheel of Time
Thrawn Trilogy

I want to get started on the Fire and Ice books but haven't found the time

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Sci-Fi probably Robert A. Heinlein although Asimov is a close second. The fav fantasy is without a doubt Tolkien.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
EE Dock Smith was the first author of big time (Skylark & Lensman) Space Opera battles. It's morals are a little dated now but they are still good reads.

E. E. "Doc" Smith