What's your favorite frequent flyer program? (or, which airline is the stablest)

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm trying to decide on an airline credit card, but oh what a waste it would be if the one I pick goes belly up soon afterwards. I have the most miles in US Airways (unstable), United (unstable as well, and horrible service), and America West (I hate this airline with a passion). I have had good experiences with Continental and American, but I rarely fly those airlines. It seems like I usually get stuck taking the three I listed.

So which airline would you commit to right now?

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
American

Just stay away from USAirways for now...theyre selling their express routes...it may be just a precaution, or it could very well be the beginnings of a firesale.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Triumph
I'm trying to decide on an airline credit card, but oh what a waste it would be if the one I pick goes belly up soon afterwards. I have the most miles in US Airways (unstable), United (unstable as well, and horrible service), and America West (I hate this airline with a passion). I have had good experiences with Continental and American, but I rarely fly those airlines. It seems like I usually get stuck taking the three I listed.

So which airline would you commit to right now?
First, in my opinion, US Airways is either going to go out of business or get bought up. I would continue to use up those miles before they are worthless. USAirways and United have a codeshare deal so you can use either to get miles for one. Pick a program and stick with it and their Credit Card program. I personally would pick United because I don't think the Gov't would let United go out of business. But it really depends on where you are flying from generally and where you fly to generally. Know the hub system. For example, United is relativelly strong in Chicago, Los Angles, San Francisco, and Denver. USAir has said they might sell their assets in the east coast. America Worst has a hub in Phoenix.
I personally like Continental.
Last year, I received Elite status on Continental and I didn't even fly on their "metal" most of the time. They are code-shared with so many other airlines i.e. Northwest, Virgin, KLM, Delta that it was a good place to "bank" there.
Good luck.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, unfortunately I have about 45,000 miles on USAirways. I should take a trip before they go away.

I'm thinking I should go with Continental. Where are their hubs? I fly out of DC mainly.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I use both Continental and US Airways. US Airways used to be excellent, but for the past 2 years or so, they have been extremely unstable as mentioned by Triumph.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, unfortunately I have about 45,000 miles on USAirways. I should take a trip before they go away.

I'm thinking I should go with Continental. Where are their hubs? I fly out of DC mainly.
My dad has millions of frequent flyer miles with US Airways, and is trying to figure out how the hell to use them all. He is quite pissed at the current situation.

KrustyVT

Jun 28, 2000

EWR (Newark, NJ), IAH (Houston, TX) and CLE (Cleveland, Ohio).

-=K=-

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
Delta...cuz I have about 95k miles with them ;)

And, they fly *everywhere*

I agree, Delta Skymiles is the best as it includes Delta, Northwest, Continental, Air France, Alitalia, Virgin Atlantic and many more...

conjur, what do you spend your miles on? you just collect more or what? :)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Well, I've burned enough miles to cash in on 3 tickets so far. I now have this much which is enough to get me and my two daughters to Hawaii. Hopefully, in a year or two, I'll get them there...either that or Europe.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Xiety
Originally posted by: conjur
Delta...cuz I have about 95k miles with them ;)

And, they fly *everywhere*

I agree, Delta Skymiles is the best as it includes Delta, Northwest, Continental, Air France, Alitalia, Virgin Atlantic and many more...

conjur, what do you spend your miles on? you just collect more or what? :)

So does that mean you can use your Delta miles on Continental? That sounds like a great deal.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
what airport(s) do you live near? It is always the best idea to choose a FF program that is from an airpline that uses your local airport as a hub. Still, United sucks and Continental is the best.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I've really been taking these ads for free air miles for granted... never came to the actual realization it could save you hundreds of dollars going somewhere...

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mwilding
what airport(s) do you live near? It is always the best idea to choose a FF program that is from an airpline that uses your local airport as a hub. Still, United sucks and Continental is the best.

i live in northern virginia, which means i have regularly use Reagan, Dulles, and BWI. but i used to live around Pittsburgh, which is one of USAirways main hubs, that's why i have so many miles with them.

any thoughts on american?

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
not really sure, but my parents use continental and i havent really heard them complain about it.