What's your drug of choice....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
my drugs are sugar and caffine, though suger has more effect on me (I know I know, it is not really a drug) I have only had two perscriptions in my life and both were for pain killers after annoying dental work (I had 14 teeth pulled) :)

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< On the radio earlier this week, they were talking about a long-term independent study done on anti- depression drugs and they found that placebos were just as effective as most of the drugs. >>

Not quite.

APA
NIH
Psychiatric Times

There are countless more studies, many with contradictory results. The most likely reason behind it is the subjects chosen for the study. In patients who really don't need an antidepressant (which by some estimates I've read may be as high as 60-70% of those prescribed), it's only logical for a placebo to have the same effect as the actual drug since anti-deressants are not mood elevators and should have little to no effect on a healthy individual. In trials using clinically depressed subjects, the differences are usually much larger.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

<< <edit> PS: Herbals don't count.... AS THEY DON'T DO SQUAT!!! :p </edit>

<eidt^2> The word PERSCRIPTION has been put in bold so narcotics are not brought into discussion. </edit^2>
</edit>
>>

Oops, sorry I clicked on this topic; the above should have been put in the topic's title so I wouldn't have wasted my time here.:(

Since I dropped all my prescription drugs in favor of the more effective herbals, diet improvement and exercise, I'm out of here . . . :p

EDIT: Does cannabis count since it can still be MD prescribed or "recommended" for depression and stress? (even though the FDA overrules some physician's choices?)
2nd EDIT: OK, I am kiddiing. However, I just read (gotta love that free prescription to Time) that REGULAR EXERCISE is one of the most important things a depressed or stressed person can do. I am a BELIEVER in this.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
The only thing I take for depression (Which unfortunatly I DO deal with) is my dog out to play.

I think it helps HIM too. ;)

BTW: THC tends to make ME more depressed. It makes me think WAY too much so I rarely smoke it anymore. But I guess I must be the exception and not the rule with this side effect.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
As the AIC song says "Well what have you got?" :)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Ahhh....coffee..and I grind my own. Love dem beans...........................................:)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Is it me or does it seem like more people are on one prescription drug or another for depression, than there are people who are NOT on one? Gotta love direct pharmeceutical marketing...

My drugs of choice:

Chocolate
Actifed (Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride 60mg and Triprolidine Hydrochloride 2.5mg) x 3 (triple the recommended dosage, very fun)
Vicodin
Muscle relaxers (also very fun)
Caffeine

However, I do not take anything for depression (although chocolate does work, temporarily). I am not depressed...