What's wrong with utilitarianism?

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
I just realize through out my life I have based my decisions on the principles of utilitarianism.
A lot of times I would sacrifice my own happiness for the better of others.
I am wondering if I should continue to be a nice guy and take all the sh|t to myself.

p.s. I may be an a-hole in ATOT, but in real life I am a really nice guy.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
What's wrong with utilitarianism
That it's hard as hell to pronounce.

Why don't you (and the rest of the a-holes wannabes of ATOT) try to be yourself here as you are in real life?

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: UncleWai
I just realize through out my life I have based my decisions on the principles of utilitarianism.
I am wondering if I should continue to be a nice guy and take all the sh|t to myself.

That's not utilitarianism, that's altruism (self-sacrifice). They are both similar b/c they are both stupid. There's nothing wrong with you sacrificing yourself for others, so long as you want to do it. (Donations to charity = self sacrifice = there's nothing wrong with that B/C you want to do it since it makes you feel good). If it doesn't make you feel good, then you're sacrificing your own happiness for other's sake and thus hold other's happiness above your own which means u don't value urself, etc. Utilitarianism (example) = kill all people with aids = majority/healthy people safe from aids = doesn't value individual rights b/c it's concerned with greatest good.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: UncleWai

If my recollection of utilitarianism is correct, basically given an array of choices, you should always choose the act that you think will yield the best consequences.

If your choices are making you miserable ie. sacrificing your own happiness for the happiness of others, your actions aren't utilitarian at all. Utilitarianism is really self-focused and the only "absolute" is what I described above.

But, I studied Bentham and Mill over 20 years ago so I could be foggy.