Whats wrong with my Ati 9700 Pro?

HWF

Jun 6, 2001
I would have thought it to be alot faster. Based on this it seems the Ati can hold its own.

Eagle17

Nov 23, 2001
ok This looks like someone trolling here but I will give my analasys of all the info that has been released so far. (and by the way I am a big supporter of the ati line

1. You are overclocked ... The additional increase in you bus could help your score. Also your 9700 is overclocked.

2. what drivers do you have ... the 2.4 cat drivers from ati are very refined and give big performance advantages. On the Gforce fx side this is beta sillicon with alfa drivers.

3. Remember this is an all new part, NEW MEMORY Arcitecure, New silicon proccess, etc. it will take the next few months to refine. remember how horrible the 8500 was and now it is a great card.

I just ordered my first two 9700's for a new review I am writing so I have not had any experiance with the ati parts. Also it is unfair to think that Nvidia is a perfect company .. after all there were some small issues with drivers on the Gf3 when it was released and the gf4 was really a faster version of the gf3 with some other small enhancements. I beleive that in june the nv30 will be truely finished with great drivers and great performance the problem is what will ATI have by june?

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Eagle17
I beleive that in june the nv30 will be truely finished with great drivers and great performance the problem is what will ATI have by june?
Isn't ATI coming out with another video card next year too?

HWF

Jun 6, 2001
Eagle17

I agree with most what you stated. I just want to remind you my P4 is about 10% slower and has no HT. I would be willing to wager the Mb board used in Nvidia's test utilized Rdram. Don't you find it strange that Nvidia did not include Ati in thier tests. I'm sure they have a product with more features than Ati. I also think Nvidia has done a wonderful job of enhancing the graphics industry.

Some would say its now all about image quality but, frame rate sells video cards. Look at Matrox's current position, they are rarley shown in comparisions, but they have an edge in image quality.

I think its time Ati gets patted on the back for having made a gaint leap forward in the video card arena. Ati has forced this industry forward about 2 or 3 years by having made such a large step forward with the 9700 Pro.

Its a great time for gamers.

Eagle17

Nov 23, 2001
then we agree completely ... I think that right now even with the NV30 "out" the 9700 is the best product on the market. Now I would not have said that about the 8500 by the time the 8500 was a solid product the gf4ti was out andfixed a lot of the issues with the gf3... mostly 2d image quality, and the gf4 was much faster.

even the hardcore NV fans on the preview site were stunned at how well ATI has done with the drivers on the 9700 remember that the 9700 is also new sillicon and the fact that it worked well right out of the box was wonderfull. My first coment to a friend who is a big friend to Nvidia was look at how well the drivers work of course it helped that ATI doubled thier programming department and hired away some talent from another large graphics company.

I do believe ATI will have a new card out by the time the nv30 is rolling ... This is the same spot ATI was in when the 8500 came out with the gf4 available by then and in a year they have turned the tables ... so you can bet nvidia can do the same.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Showing a score 108.4 for the yet to be released GF4 FX.
While it's true that the performance comparison could go either way when the FX is finally released, the results you are looking at now mean absolutely nothing.

WyteWatt

Banned
Jun 8, 2001
HWF because those benchmarks are not offically tested off a Geforce FX sample card or retail card. Anandtech has not tested it yet. Remember how the ATI 9700 pro had benchmarks numbers from alienware computers and how wrong they were? To see the real performence of the Geforce FX we will have to wait for a review by a offical review site like anandtech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
BFG10K. Why?
Why? Because they are alpha drivers on running an unfinished board, that's why. In two to three months time when the product is released you'll see a totally different picture.