What's with the idiots who use their flashes in big open areas?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I'm seeing it during the Bonds at bats, or any time there's any sort of big event that people want to capture. Don't they realize when reviewing the pictures on their LCD screens that the pictures come out dark and ugly compared to when the flash is off? Or am I missing something here :confused:

I must admit though, it's a nice effect when tons of flashes go off consecutively..

sehlaw

Oct 24, 2006
I would guess that a large percentage are using their cameras on "auto" mode (or something similar). The dark surroundings cause the flash to go up.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
They do it for the people taking pictures of the people taking pictures of the person at the sporting event.

Looks a lot cooler that way.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: potato28
Umm... drawing a big WTF here...

When you take a pic using flash your camera exposes based on the expected result of the flash. If you use the flash in a wide open are it does nothing, and your pictures come out dark.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Or you want to meter for what is on the infield, and fill flash the rest. Don't mock what you don't understand.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
This reminded me of when i was in Italy and we were in some cathedrals and people were complaining bout how dark their shots were.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: foghorn67
Or you want to meter for what is on the infield, and fill flash the rest. Don't mock what you don't understand.

I think he's talking about those moments at major sporting events when the entire audience is flashing away. In fact its pretty clear that is what he is talking about. There is no way that is what all of those people are doing. Or even what 2% of them are doing

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Because the world is largely made up of 12 o'clockers (their VCR flashes 12:00).

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Looney
Because the world is largely made up of 12 o'clockers (their VCR flashes 12:00).

Sounds like it's time for a new term... What is a VCR?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: TheUnk

Please tell me I am missing the sarcasm here? :roll:

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
with the right camera and equipment, you can take flash shots from a long ways away; you just have to know to juggle the settings to compensate. I agree though with an earlier statement where the person pointed out that most of the people taking the pictures, use their cameras on auto, and the camera will use the flash, resulting in a picture that is basically worthless as the subject was too far away to benefit from the flash.

if you do it right, you can take some extremely interesting pictures using flashes, and different types of flash (strobe, slaved, ect.).

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Linflas

Yes you are..he's saying the VCR is outdated and the 12 o'clockers term needs to be updated.

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Syringer

Yes you are..he's saying the VCR is outdated and the 12 o'clockers term needs to be updated.

I think the whole point is they don't even know how to program their VCR, let alone one of those new-fangled digeetall cameras.

Changing it from VCR to some newer device would ruin the effect

ognabor

Jun 6, 2007
Originally posted by: newb111
Originally posted by: Syringer

I think the whole point is they don't even know how to program their VCR, let alone one of those new-fangled digeetall cameras.

Changing it from VCR to some newer device would ruin the effect

not to mention the fact that for a lot of these people, VCRs are NOT outdated.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: Aluvus
They don't know how to turn it off, or why they should.

true, and elaborated.

Yup, most don't understand what difference having the flash go off makes to your pictures if its a big dark area :)

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
It's a design flaw. Point and shoot cameras to this day are still confused by distant, dark settings.