Whats with the bizzare RAM sizes at Dell?

ImmortalBlade

Oct 13, 2002
Im trying to buy a Dell 300m and i cant get 512 ram! Granted i want to buy it 3rd party because Dells for componants prices are insane. But it makes me wonder what modules they are installing, or possibly if they have some sort of integrated RAM? the 1.1GB of ram seems like a wierd size, espcialy since i cant think of any two denominations of RAM modules that will add up to 1.1gb. Any body have this lappy or know anything about it. Im thinking they have some sort of non-modular built-in 128mb ram.

IB

EDIT: im a twit.... yeah they have 128mb of integrated ram..... sombody spank me! (must learn to actualy look)

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
Yep. Most Dell computers have a (sucky) Intel graphics chipset on the motherboard that sucks system memory. Plug in 512MB and you may only get 480MB total.

REOspeedealer

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthesisI
Yep. Most Dell computers have a (sucky) Intel graphics chipset on the motherboard that sucks system memory. Plug in 512MB and you may only get 480MB total.

In this case it is because the motherboard itself has 128 megs of system ram already built in. Therefore if you add a 512 stick you will actually have 640megs of ram.