What's with people who say "What's the world coming to"?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Don't you get sick of people who think that the world is somehow degressing, and that we used to live in some wonderful magical world where people never did anything bad and all was well?

Well surprise, bad things do happen today, and bad things used to happen several decades and centuries ago. 8 year olds working 12 hour days was as common here in America as it is in 3rd world countries nowadays. People killed their friends, families; and people have raped each other for as long as we've known. Discounting stuff involving "new" technology, there is no new crime or wrong people have invented in the past 500 years..and I'm sure if you read accounts of the past, it would seem that our "morals" of today are at a much higher standard than back then. Anyone remember lynching, or the guillotine?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Most people I know who say this weren't around 500 years ago. They are referring to more recent times. I have been around, and can't seem to remember seeing a good lynching :p

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Syringer
Don't you get sick of people who think that the world is somehow degressing, and that we used to live in some wonderful magical world where people never did anything bad and all was well?

Well surprise, bad things do happen today, and bad things used to happen several decades and centuries ago. 8 year olds working 12 hour days was as common here in America as it is in 3rd world countries nowadays. People killed their friends, families; and people have raped each other for as long as we've known. Discounting stuff involving "new" technology, there is no new crime or wrong people have invented in the past 500 years..and I'm sure if you read accounts of the past, it would seem that our "morals" of today are at a much higher standard than back then. Anyone remember lynching, or the guillotine?

i concur.

there was always violence
there were always prostitutes
there were always oppression of certain ppl by superior powers
there were always orgy/group sex in history. Egypt and Greece are popular examples.
there were always murder by young kids.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
I believe most people say it in terms of this.

When something happens and people don't do anything.

They feel that we are past that point, where we are better than
we were 500 years ago. And the point is that what is the world coming
to, if we are suppose to be so much better off, and yet horrible things
still happen with no one trying to stop them.

Early post: Regardless I agree its over used. However what saying isn't overused.