Whats with games charging for ONLINE play?

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Sounds like a crime to me. WHat is the point of this? Why not sell the game for 20 bucks and charge for online play?

No idea why companies are now charging for people to play their games online.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah i agree. i been thinking about picking up EQ2 but its $49 +$15 a month. i played EQ i got it for $30+10 a month. $15 just seems to much each month to play on the server.

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
You think those companies care about you? It's all about the Benjamins.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
youre about 4 years behind the bandwagon on this. if youre not willing to pay for your MMOs, dont buy them.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't mind the monthly fee, but yeah... I don't get why they don't charge less for the initial software, considering that most buyers are going to put in for at least 4-6 months.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
it has always been this way for mmorpgs

and for very good reasons (server costs, game expansion, continual fixes etc)

Riceball

Sep 4, 2004
I agree it is a fvcked up policy but plenty of people are willing to pay. IF it were up to me you pay 15 bucks for a free dl of the game and one months usage or purchase of the disc from your local B&M with one month service included after that if you like you continue to pay the monthly fee if not all it cost you was 15 bucks for a rental.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn

Last i check, Diablo 1, 2, Baulder Gate series never charged a PENNY to play online with others.................

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Riceball
I agree it is a fvcked up policy but plenty of people are willing to pay. IF it were up to me you pay 15 bucks for a free dl of the game and one months usage or purchase of the disc from your local B&M with one month service included after that if you like you continue to pay the monthly fee if not all it cost you was 15 bucks for a rental.

It's not up to you mr. mba, is it?

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: gizbug

Last i check, Diablo 1, 2, Baulder Gate series never charged a PENNY to play online with others.................

i don't think those count as mmorpgs. personally i've never played one but i was under the impression that mmorpgs require far more effort on the company to maintain and expand.

paying for mmorpgs is not a new thing, and it has always been the norm.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
MMORPG's require constant server maintenance and upgrades. In addition, they require plenty of Game Masters to help stuck players and such.

Are they still making a killing with the $15/month fee? You bet.

Will people still pay to play it? You bet.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Sounds like a crime to me. WHat is the point of this? Why not sell the game for 20 bucks and charge for online play?

No idea why companies are now charging for people to play their games online.

They do cost $20 and whatever online fees are. You just gotta wait 6 months after release.

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000

i don't think those count as mmorpgs. personally i've never played one but i was under the impression that mmorpgs require far more effort on the company to maintain and expand.

paying for mmorpgs is not a new thing, and it has always been the norm.

BINGO! They arn't MMORPG's. Quit whining, if you want free online play, then play a game that has it. Paying for online subscription to MMORPG's is paying for the 24/7 customer support, bug fixing, new content, expansion development, ect ect... You won't ever come across a decent MMORPG that doesn't have a monthly online fee.

Ender

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2001
It's like asking why does a car cost $2/gallon when I bought it for $20,000.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: hdeck
people will pay the money so they will keep charging.

Yup. Look at how many suckers pay $23.95 a month for AOL. The gaming subscriptions are not much different. Charge enough to make a nice profit because your next release might suck and you could be out of the gaming business alltogether.