What's up with WD HDD prices? 4-6TB Red prices went up a bunch last few weeks

CiPHER

Mar 5, 2015
This is the price level in my country (Netherlands)

i

Small increase, but that could be the dollar-euro rates.

Why would you want Red anyway?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
When I look at the graphs, what I see is a drop for the holidays, and prices finally returning to last fall levels.

CiPHER

Mar 5, 2015
Well that's what you get when companies buy each other, and only one or two remain. ;)

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
When I look at the graphs, what I see is a drop for the holidays, and prices finally returning to last fall levels.
Actually, going by past historic pricing for WD drives, as with most, is to fall in price over time. The longer a model has been available, the older its tech and the more newer, better drives come to market. Aside from the major Thailand flooding a few years ago, they never jump back up in price significantly nor do they remain at a higher price very long.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
The Red is a good drive, and, in light of the negative issues Seagate has been dealing with (3TB Barracudas failing) I suspect demand is high.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
The Red is a good drive, and, in light of the negative issues Seagate has been dealing with (3TB Barracudas failing) I suspect demand is high.

This could be part of it, the seagate DM models are near their lowest since release.
Part of me thinks "because they can" however

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
This could be part of it, the seagate DM models are near their lowest since release.
Part of me thinks "because they can" however

Supply and demand... if people weren't buying them, they would lower the price.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Supply and demand... if people weren't buying them, they would lower the price.

I'm not saying you posted anything wrong.
The reds have commanded a premium price compared to hitachi/seagate since they first came out.

Last edited: