What's to hate about Reality TV?

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
For those of you who catagorically hate Reality TV... Why (specifically) do you hate it so much? Just because it's popular? (Do you tend to hate other things based on their popularity?)

Just curious... :)

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: pyonir
For the most part, they have nothing to do with reality.
So, your only beef with it is the title of the genre? If it were called something else, you might not hate it?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
No, i probably still wouldn't watch. I honestly can't but into words why i hate them. I just don't like it.

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
I find most of them to be lame. Same goes for most sitcoms on TV.
I seem to be only watching Fear Factor & King of Queens nowadays.

-Case

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If I wanted to see "reality", I would turn off the TV and go live it.

That's one of my beefs. But my real beef is that, for the most part, the people on reality TV are the kind I avoid at all costs IRL. Stupid, ignorant, arrogant, negative, back-stabbing, petty, whining, squabbling wastes of human flesh.

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic

That's one of my beefs. But my real beef is that, for the most part, the people on reality TV are the kind I avoid at all costs IRL. Stupid, ignorant, arrogant, negative, back-stabbing, petty, whining, squabbling wastes of human flesh.
Yeah but they're usually pretty good looking...

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

You mean what 90% of all humans are, they just refuse to admit it?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: FrogDog

Would you be friends with a thief or a murderer just because they are good looking?

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000

Would you be friends with a thief or a murderer just because they are good looking?
Better believe it!

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Ditto what Vic said... the people on those shows all seem so vapid and shallow. If I'm going to watch TV, 90% of the time it's because I want to be enlightened. I find nothing enlightening about reality tv. In fact, I see it as representative of the worst aspects of human beings. And to top it all off the shows are obviously manipulated by the network suits to "maximize drama" and therefore reality tv ends up being anything but.

I honestly find it sickening because it's so fake yet pretends to be real. At least sitcoms aren't passed off as real life.

l2c

P.S. In the few reality shows I have seen, the cliches are recycled worse than sitcom storylines. Ugh... I feel ill.

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002

The reality is that most people you meet are not good looking
rolleye.gif
When I first heard of survivor I thought someone was going to die. I will not watch reality TV until there is the chance of someone dying. Those pansies live off of 10lbs of rice for 30 days. I wish I ate that good in six months...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It depends what the premise is or how interesting the people are. You have a long-established show like The Real World but a lot of the times the cast is very uninteresting... unlike this San Diego crew... I try to catch them every week. I haven't done that since San Francisco... something like... 10 seasons ago??

Other shows like Avg Joe Hawaii was good to me because it was interesting to see how the beauty queen would act - and she turned out to be really genuine despite how much most of you would love to hate her. I have no interest in the dude doing the show now.

There are shows like the Amazing Race or Survivor which are dull to me because I don't want to see old guys or women running around. The Apprentice is good because you can watch to see what it takes to out-duel someone, especially for a high-profile position. I'm glad they didn't decide to make it into a drama with hookups. So it depends...

TV is a form of entertainment. It doesn't have to be enlightening or educational to be "good". If you don't like the premise, nobody's forcing you to watch. When someone says "ALL reality shows are dumb" it just goes to show how closed-minded they are. I really don't care if you don't want to make an effort to watch it, but that doesn't mean you go knocking every show you've never seen with your generalizations.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I hate TV in general (don't even have an antenna hooked to my TV), reality TV is just the crown jewel in the collection of wasted broadcast bandwidth.

Viper GTS

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
The premise seems to be to find a bunch of catty backstabbing people and then to place them into situations where they can be catty and backstab.

Mainly, I'm pissed off that shows that I enjoy are being cancelled in favor of this low-cost stuff that was developed as filler in response to the SAG strike.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
I don't categorically hate reality TV, but I do dislike most of it. The shows seem to fall into one of two categories:

1. Put a bunch of people in a place and have them argue and kick each other out.

2. Who's going to marry who?

The first variety I don't like because the people generally annoy me. The ones with good personalities aren't enough to outweigh the ones who are downright, well, annoying.

The second variety simply doesn't interest me.

One exception, though, was Fox's My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee. That show was hilarious.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
For the most part, they have nothing to do with reality.

teh winnAr!

You want a real Survivor?

Put a bunch of people in Compton or East St. Louis with only the clothes on their back and make them survive for a month. The one does the best (best paying job, best accumulation of wealth, or something) is the winner.

You want a real The Bachelor/Bachelorette?

Take a man or woman and force them to go to bars, bookstores, grocery stores, etc. and get 20 people committed to going on dates with them. At that point, then tell these 20 people they're competing on a game show and can drop out if they want but those staying on will have a chance at marriage and "one meeelyun dollars". We surely don't want to cheapen the sanctity of marriage anymore now, do we? ;)

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i don't hate it. i like it. i like watching the backstabbing, arrogance, screwups, etc. its hilarious.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
If I want to see everyday people doing stupid stuff I can just drive to the mall. Pretty much from the time I leave my driveway I am guaranteed to get that kind of "entertainment". The only thing lacking is the self serving vignettes explaining the stupid actions I just witnessed or am about to witness.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003

Vic said it best. The women always seem to be dumb, arrogant attention whores who think their "careers" are so important and crap like that. Some are good looking, but 95% of them are biatches. They act immature, cry on tv, and do tons of stupid sh!t towards one another just to get ahead.