• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

What's the safe distance from AC adaptors?

Chikara

Member
Mar 16, 2019
48
3
16
There is a 18V 3.33A 60W AC adaptor 50~60 centimeters away from my face because it is on my desk.
The power outlet supplies 220V at 60Hz.

Can the electromagnetic radiation from the adaptor cause health issues later?

The safe distance for a microwave oven is 2 meters.
 
Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
5,193
395
126
Get a radiation meter and measure it.

That's the only way to be sure if you're going to be paranoid about everything, but if you're going to do that, why wouldn't you have already put the AC adapter as far away as the cord allows, or even build an extension cord to further that distance?

The amount of radiation emitted depends on the design of the circuit inside and the shielding of the enclosure. A fixed value can't be assumed for a random unspecified make and model adapter, nor even a specific make and model adapter unless you happen to have a database where someone has made it their mission to test them all, using a team of people sufficient to keep up with the rate of new products produced.

You stated the "safe" distance for a microwave is 2 meters, but that has not been established as fact. The fact is that no matter what you deem a safe level to be (which is also subject to debate), it must be a measured quantity to calculate distance if you do not measure at different distances, and still extrapolate for any distance you don't measure.

If you seek non-factual information then we can make up any (plausible) number we like and just say further away is better.

You have probably been reading misinformation but you are free to limit yourself how ever much you can manage to, but it all comes back to doing your own measurements in your specific environment.
 

Mr Evil

Senior member
Jul 24, 2015
462
184
116
mrevil.asvachin.eu
A microwave oven generates about 800W of microwaves, which is enough to literally cook things (obviously), though very little of that escapes the shielding. An AC adapter generates approximately 0W of microwaves, which isn't enough to cook anything, even if you insert it right into the thing you're trying to cook.
 

Chikara

Member
Mar 16, 2019
48
3
16
A microwave oven generates about 800W of microwaves, which is enough to literally cook things (obviously), though very little of that escapes the shielding. An AC adapter generates approximately 0W of microwaves, which isn't enough to cook anything, even if you insert it right into the thing you're trying to cook.
It's not just microwave that's harmful to humans.
 

Mr Evil

Senior member
Jul 24, 2015
462
184
116
mrevil.asvachin.eu
Indeed, 800W could cook things at other frequencies too, though not as effectively. Fortunately, AC adapters put out approximately 0W of electromagnetic radiation at any frequency, so it makes no difference.
 

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
56,260
7,590
126
www.uovalor.com
I would not worry about it. Even a microwave I would not worry, if it's properly shielded a microwave is not going to leak anything, not to mention it's not on for long periods. Now if the door seal is not sealing property etc then you should repair or replace it. You can test for leaks by holding a CFL bulb around the microwave and "scanning" it while it's on. If the bulb lights up the microwave should not be used until it is repaired or replaced. Another good indication of a leak is if you get wifi issues when it's on.

As for an AC adapter remember that it's primary role is to convert power so they will be designed to have as little losses as possible including RF as all that would be a waste. So let's say you have an adapter with a 50w load on it and it's drawing 52w from the wall, there are 2w of loss, and that is the absolute max RF it can in theory put out, though in reality it's going to be much lower as most of the loss is heat. There will be SOME RF but it's going to be in the mw range and also low frequency so not harmful.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chikara

Amol S.

Senior member
Mar 14, 2015
493
19
81
A microwave oven generates about 800W of microwaves, which is enough to literally cook things (obviously), though very little of that escapes the shielding. An AC adapter generates approximately 0W of microwaves, which isn't enough to cook anything, even if you insert it right into the thing you're trying to cook.
Although, the electricity might travel thru the food and cook it if it's inserted inside the food.

I think the OP might be referring to static electricity/discharge, and was just using the microwave distant "cautionary statements" that they usually state in the user manual, for an example of how there are things to stay a specific distance from for precautions.

As for the static electricity/discharge there are many factors that come into play.
 

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
32,787
2,729
126
perhaps the OP is one of those looneys who believes that using your cell phone too much will cause brain cancer.....


Insults are not allowed in the technical forums.


esquared
Anandtech Forum Director
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY