whats the rest of the world paying to filler up?

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Gasoline prices are going up around the world, but the pain is not being felt everywhere the same way. Drivers in some countries pay a lot more than U.S. consumers. But others pay substantially less. That?s because pump prices don?t reflect just the cost of gasoline.

In most of the industrialized world, including Europe and Japan, pump prices are much higher than in the U.S. ? even though the wholesale price is roughly the same. The difference is a heavy tax load those countries impose to discourage consumption.The Dutch have the dubious distinction of paying the most to fill 'er up, according to the U.S. Deptatment of Energy. (There are various agencies that track gasoline prices, but these are among the most recent figures available.) As of April 10, drivers in the Netherlands were paying the equivalent of about $6.73 a gallon at the pump. The gas itself cost $2.61; the rest ? $4.12 ? represented tax. That?s a 158 percent tax. By comparison, the U.S. has the lowest tax on gasoline of any industrialized country: about 15 percent at current prices.

Elsewhere in the industrialized world, the actual cost of gasoline ranges from $2.15 a gallon (France) to $2.61 in the Netherlands. But the after-tax price is $5.80 in France and over $6 a gallon in most other major European countries. Japanese drivers get off relatively easy: taxes there only push pump prices to about $4.50 a gallon.

So much for Europe and Japan. In less-developed parts of the world, some countries actually subsidize pump prices to keep them below what the gasoline actually costs to make. China, which recently raised fuel prices, still keeps them well below international market rates. Chinese drivers ? and farmers ? still pay the equivalent of less than $2 a gallon. As a result, the oil refining industry there is losing billions of dollars. That?s why the Chinese government is expected to continue to try to raise retail prices, while trying to avoid a major consumer backlash.

The cheapest places to top off, not surprisingly, are in countries that produce the most oil. In Iraq, until recently, pump prices were capped at 10 cents a gallon. Prices have recently risen to nearly 40 cents a gallon ? still a bargain compared to the U.S. Iran also keeps pump prices low ? less than 35 cents a gallon, according to a recent Reuters survey.

But for a real bargain, drive on down to Venezuela, where President Hugo Chavez has made a name for himself lately by delivering heating fuel to low-income American families at bargain prices. In Venezuela, you?ll pay just 12 cents a gallon to fill your tank.

Text

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Also, in the Europe and Japan, one can get much smaller cars with diesels, which get better gas mileage. They also have safe, efficient mass transit systems, which reduce or eliminate their need to drive.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: EatSpam
Also, in the Europe and Japan, one can get much smaller cars with diesels, which get better gas mileage. They also have safe, efficient mass transit systems, which reduce or eliminate their need to drive.

Ayup. There are other social services that are tied into the cost of gasoline as well, in which you outlined a few. Comparing gas prices in different countries is an apple-to-oranges deal.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I was mulling this over last night
The reason we buy all of our crap from China is essentially slave labour and dirt cheap transportation costs to bring it over.
Once China has to start paying more for shipping and a higher input cost on a good produced reducing the benefit of dirt cheap labour is high gas prices actually going to make home grown industrial machine based manufacturing more competative again?

Anyone?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I'm sure wages in other countries reflect the cost of gas.

I don't mind paying $1000/gal/liter/ whatever as long as I get a nice pay raise to reflect the increased cost of living.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
a 158 percent tax? If their roads aren't paved in gold, I don't know what they're spending that money on.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
a 158 percent tax? If their roads aren't paved in gold, I don't know what they're spending that money on.

Then you need not comment then.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28

Then you need not comment then.

It was fiscal-libertarian sarcasm.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: brandonbull
I'm sure wages in other countries reflect the cost of gas.

I don't mind paying $1000/gal/liter/ whatever as long as I get a nice pay raise to reflect the increased cost of living.

That's a lot of Inflation. $100 for a Chocolate Bar, $millions for a home, entry level Auto $ 1 million, and you sttill living paycheque to paycheque. ;)

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Social programs; mass transit.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: desy
I was mulling this over last night
The reason we buy all of our crap from China is essentially slave labour and dirt cheap transportation costs to bring it over.
Once China has to start paying more for shipping and a higher input cost on a good produced reducing the benefit of dirt cheap labour is high gas prices actually going to make home grown industrial machine based manufacturing more competative again?

Anyone?

I think this may start to happen, so I guess its a plus to higher gas prices.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000

Negative externalities.