What's the point of 4G devices when you have low monthly caps?

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
The carriers in Canada are charging $15 for 250mb and $35 for 5GB for the new iPad.

If you're downloading at 4G speeds (73mpbs) you'll burn through 250mbs in roughly 25 seconds, and 5GBs in 10 mins. So what's the point? Am I missing something?

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
First of all it will never go at 73 mbps, you'll be lucky to get 30 mbps. Second of all, what are you doing on your ipad to be downloading at full speed for 20+ minutes straight?

But yes I agree, 250mb plan is just silly at this point. You're likely to go over 250mb in less than a week with average use.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Just off the top of my head, a single 1080p youtube video can be over 300 MBs in size.

First, 1080p bit rate is no more than 4mbps. To make a 300 MB file your video would have to be over 10 minutes, which is no where near the average length on youtube. Second, 1080p at 4 mbps doesn't look any better than 720p at 2 mbps, you're just wasting bandwidth.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Not everyone streams video. If you're one that uses their device primarily for web browsing, social networks, email, etc - you still take advantage of the higher speeds, and will not come close to a 5GB cap. Even if you do some basic streaming - say, Pandora - having LTE isn't going to make Pandora use that much more bandwidth, its just going to make the playback smoother.

I realize its not "cool" to not violently lash out against caps, but my point is that you can still take advantage of LTE speeds even with a cap.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
First, 1080p bit rate is no more than 4mbps. To make a 300 MB file your video would have to be over 10 minutes, which is no where near the average length on youtube. Second, 1080p at 4 mbps doesn't look any better than 720p at 2 mbps, you're just wasting bandwidth.

mass effect 3 walkthroughs

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
LTE is mostly for carriers. more users per cell means more money saved

and it's a stepping stone to all IP voice/data networks which will save them even more money

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Exactly, it's for the carriers. Surely you don't think they are investing billions in it for you?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I don't know, but I remember tethering to my laptop so I could download Starcraft 2 to my laptop from b.net when I was out of town on business. Didn't get a text/message or anything from tmobile though.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I don't know, but I remember tethering to my laptop so I could download Starcraft 2 to my laptop from b.net when I was out of town on business. Didn't get a text/message or anything from tmobile though.

See. Tether ftw

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
As others have noted, overages. I hit my cap (200MB) in just a few days on my 4G Atrix 2, where before on my puny 3G Moto Bravo, I rarely got to 70% of it. Now I just keep it turned off unless I absolutely need it. Oddly enough, I haven't used any data in over a week. Everything I do online with my phone, I do wirelessly at home.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Caps help providers do more with less. Basically, they don't have the infrastructure to allow everyone to actually operate at peak speed all the time, so they limit you. Want more? They charge you for it.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
As others have noted, overages. I hit my cap (200MB) in just a few days on my 4G Atrix 2, where before on my puny 3G Moto Bravo, I rarely got to 70% of it. Now I just keep it turned off unless I absolutely need it. Oddly enough, I haven't used any data in over a week. Everything I do online with my phone, I do wirelessly at home.

Suggestion. Make sure you turn off Background Downloading. You don't need it to use your phone. When enabled, it gives all Apps permission to use the net as much they want even if your not using it. Disabled, most apps won't use the internet unless you actually use them.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
These days, nothing. But if you kept your unlimited Verizon plan and waited for a 4g device, you did alright.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The most ridiculous thing is that the carriers advertise streaming fast, high quality video as a benefit of the 4g connection, without mentioning how little you can really consume on the standard plan.

Also, att/verizon/sprint/tmobile all lost money last year even with these high data prices. I wonder if data prices actually need to be priced this high to remain profitable.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2001
People gloat about Verizon LTE and how they WANT an LTE phone, but I guess its because their EVDO blows. I'm on AT&T, and I get 3mbps easily in a lot of places. I've seen speeds as high as 6mbps or so too on my SGS2.

The point is I'm satisfied. Could I use a faster speed? Yeah. It'd be nice, but do I really want to drain my battery EVEN faster, and reach my cap that much faster? I can already download yesterday's nightly CM7 in a minute or two. That's good enough.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
My question to those grandfathered into unlimited plans: Do you really think that will go on forever? I predict in 1 - 2 years all carriers will go back on their promises and cap your usage.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My question to those grandfathered into unlimited plans: Do you really think that will go on forever? I predict in 1 - 2 years all carriers will go back on their promises and cap your usage.

Its not a promise, its a contract. They break it, you sue them.
Of course, they'll probably just reincorporate themselves to void the contracts or something.

Bastards.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Suggestion. Make sure you turn off Background Downloading. You don't need it to use your phone.

Amen. Just installed Doggcatcher for podcasts, and dumbass that I am let the thing go hog wild updating feeds. Sigh...

mavere

Mar 2, 2005
LTE technology is supposed to be significantly more efficient than 3G tech, so hypothetically, one million people jumping onto their phone for a major event is gonna suck a lot less on LTE than it would on 3G.

Otherwise, yea, data caps suck. Makes me wish I jumped on the 3G iPad 1 bandwagon way back and get grandfathered into (currently) unthrottled, unlimited AT&T data plans for the new iPad.