What's the most reliable 512GB SSD for ~$300?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Twotenths

Dec 26, 2012
Wow!

That is some speed dude.

It is a total waste of money and resources. Your main or C: drive is the only one that matters. It is the drive that determines your real throughput because all programs launch and run from your C: drive with Windows and Program Files and Program Files x86. When I build a system I can get better numbers using Super Cache on the main drive and linking all saved folders i.e, Downloads, Installation software, Pictures, Documents etc. to a slower drive. You don't need that kind of space for your operating programs. Your C: drive will dictate the speeds that you will get. I run an OCZ Vertex-4 512GB drive as my system drive with Programs File folder and x86 folder. You might not realize it but any program that installs into the x86 Programs folder will only utilize 4GB of ram maximum. Only x64 programs will use more. I'm not a big gamer but my son was and still is in a lesser degree. I can run and post my results with no Cache boost and with Cache boost and there is a big difference between the two. These are scores with only one drive and no raid array at all. The drive is configured SAS which gives it the definition of SCSI. The results are below

Standard reading no Cache 1x SSD

aTVFMEx6rI73pHuyHp76Ysvn7xwuXPFZcq6X2eLgY=.jpg

Reading with SuperCache 1X SSD

n33yTO3KdEQG3ce55Qk13KYsvn7xwuXPFZcq6X2eLgY=.jpg

My internet score

2312814024.png

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Your using SSD cache to speed up SSD ?

I think what he is talking about is a ramdisk, not using an SSD cache to speed up SSD. Look at those numbers - 5GB/s.

and that's some nice download speed on Rogers, too bad you can eat up the 250GB cap in no time!

Last edited:

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I think what he is talking about is a ramdisk, not using an SSD cache to speed up SSD. Look at those numbers - 5GB/s.

yeah.. it's just caching software, is all.

I've tried more than a few(I still use FancyCache for my storage arrays) and aside from uber-peen benchmarks.. they're not much different than your systems OS leveraging its available ram since the data still needs to be pulled from the source based on its native speed in the first place. Config flexibility can be better.. but more layers are not always better either.. especially for raid arrays.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
A 2% failure rate on SSDs in 1 year with a 6 drive stripe gives you an 11.5% chance of array failure in a year.

3% - 17.7%
4% - 21.3%

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
A 2% failure rate on SSDs in 1 year with a 6 drive stripe gives you an 11.5% chance of array failure in a year.

3% - 17.7%
4% - 21.3%

I'm not all that familiar with RAID but if one drive fails in a RAID-0 array, the entire array is toast? What is entailed in getting it all back to normal once the failed drive is replaced? Rebuild entire thing, reload windows and all apps etc? Or is it not that dire.

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
No.

4 x 240GB Patriot Wildfires + LSI 9260-4i and I did it for speed and don't even use 1/4 of the capacity.

We no longer make CPUs out of relays, so hard drives need to go away too.

With modern computers capable of performing trillions of operations per second and moving 50+ GB/sec of memory bandwidth, "Please wait loading..." needs to become a thing of the past.

Does the LSI 9260-4i have compatibility issues with Z77 based motherboards still?

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
I'm not all that familiar with RAID but if one drive fails in a RAID-0 array, the entire array is toast? What is entailed in getting it all back to normal once the failed drive is replaced? Rebuild entire thing, reload windows and all apps etc? Or is it not that dire.
If a single drive in a RAID0 array fails then all is lost. You will have to secure erase each SSD, add another SSD for the one that failed, re-build the array and install from scratch.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
It is a total waste of money and resources. Your main or C: drive is the only one that matters. It is the drive that determines your real throughput because all programs launch and run from your C: drive with Windows and Program Files and Program Files x86. When I build a system I can get better numbers using Super Cache on the main drive and linking all saved folders i.e, Downloads, Installation software, Pictures, Documents etc. to a slower drive. You don't need that kind of space for your operating programs. Your C: drive will dictate the speeds that you will get. I run an OCZ Vertex-4 512GB drive as my system drive with Programs File folder and x86 folder. You might not realize it but any program that installs into the x86 Programs folder will only utilize 4GB of ram maximum. Only x64 programs will use more. I'm not a big gamer but my son was and still is in a lesser degree. I can run and post my results with no Cache boost and with Cache boost and there is a big difference between the two. These are scores with only one drive and no raid array at all. The drive is configured SAS which gives it the definition of SCSI. The results are below

Standard reading no Cache 1x SSD

aTVFMEx6rI73pHuyHp76Ysvn7xwuXPFZcq6X2eLgY=.jpg

Reading with SuperCache 1X SSD

n33yTO3KdEQG3ce55Qk13KYsvn7xwuXPFZcq6X2eLgY=.jpg

My internet score

2312814024.png

You do have point I get higher numbers from a Ram disc.

And I just upgraded my rogers internet to Docsis 3 modem.

It looks like you are on the ultimate package which is 150/10 with speed boost . I'm on extreme plus which is 45/4 and I hit 88Mbps down with speed boost.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

3% - 17.7%
4% - 21.3%

With my usage I'm sure it's not going to be that high. The array is backed up weekly and I have a 2 year replacement plan in case a drive does fail. I'm not worried. In fact, I've been thinking of getting another two to max out the controller and give me a 4096GB array. :) Only have around 200GB free at the moment.

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
With my usage I'm sure it's not going to be that high. The array is backed up weekly and I have a 2 year replacement plan in case a drive does fail. I'm not worried. In fact, I've been thinking of getting another two to max out the controller and give me a 4096GB array. :) Only have around 200GB free at the moment.

A 4TB SSD. Your my hero!

Amnesia1187

Dec 11, 2012
I still don't get it.

I'd be more impressed if you had built it Raid 10. Not worth the hassle of rebuilding a 3tb array for no real noticeable improvements. If nothing else, smaller separate Raid 0 arrays seem so much easier to deal with.

But what I'm far more curious about is, why not raid the system drive too? Games use a number of files off the system drive (drivers, dlls, directx, etc). Seems to me even adding just 1 more drive for your C drive could give you a good bit more performance o_O

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

I have a question adam,

how do you have time to play all these games ??

And why did you switch from the radeons to the geforces :)

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
If a single drive in a RAID0 array fails then all is lost. You will have to secure erase each SSD, add another SSD for the one that failed, re-build the array and install from scratch.

Damn, that DOES suck supremely. Still very cool setup though.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
That's a little silly, and awesome. Want to be my best friend? ;)

Just kidding. Have fun with your toys. :)

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
enjoying the finer things in life. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

wish pc gaming/performance was my main hobby. be a whole lot lot lot cheaper. :(

he who dies with the most toys wins. :biggrin: