Whats the most important features of a video card?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Whats the most important features of a video card?

Something like:

#1 Clock speed

#2 Pixel Pipelines

#3 Type of Memory

#4 Memory Interface

#5 Amount of Memory

I'm sure there are more features, but would like to know what you guys think is the most important down to the least. So what do you look for first in a video card?

All replies are welcomed. Thanks!

fliguy84

Jan 31, 2005
i'd say pixel pipes and then followed by memory interface and lastly clock speed.

correct me if i'm wrong, but type of memory doesn't matter much since better memory allows higher clockrate (DDR vs DDR3). and amount of memory is not that important imo. just see the results of 9800pro 128mb vs 9800pro 256mb, and gf6800gt 256mb vs 512mb

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Overall performance and image quality in real world games weighed against the overall cost of the card(s).

Chocolate Pi

Jan 11, 2005
All these contribute to performance, which is the most important feature.

Those are sub-features, look at it that way, because all they do is contribute to the performance. For example, you could have double the clock speeds or double the pipelines and still have the same fill rate either way. Six or a half-dozen, really.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Pixel pipes and clock speed must be considered together.
Fill rate is probably more appropriate, as a 24 pipe card @ 400MHz vs a 16 pipe card at 700MHz, I'd rather have the 16 piper, and it will likely be faster.

Mem interface > mem speed.

Mem type as mentioned is not really even worth considering when you can look at speed (which is more important, although can be influenced by type).