What's the impetus behind your morality?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

:confused: I have a strong conscience. I don't believe in god. But I guess I have a connection with G-d.

That's right, because you don't believe in something, it couldn't possibly exist
rolleye.gif

And just because you do doesn't mean it does.
rolleye.gif

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: bradruth
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

:confused: I have a strong conscience. I don't believe in god. But I guess I have a connection with G-d.

That's right, because you don't believe in something, it couldn't possibly exist
rolleye.gif

And just because you do doesn't mean it does.
rolleye.gif

no sh!t Sherlock. I'm not getting on the whole Schroedinger's cats thing again... If you can neither prove nor disprove something how can you *logically* absolutely rule out either possibility? To do so takes a leap of faith. To believe in Creationism one must have faith since it cannot be proven. The same goes for any scientific *theory*.

Capnroy89

Feb 2, 2003
Part of it is just instinct, some is from observing what others have done to themselves and others how and they have hurt those people. It makes me realize how I never want to be like that, and so I live my life accordingly. Religion has not influenced me in the slightest.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Thanks, HotChic for a very interesting and inspiring thread. I kind of think answering this question is maybe like asking a fish to define and explain water. I have some thoughts on it but I can't do better than so many have already done. But aside from agreeing with much of what I just read in this thread I want with all my soul to be able to praise, bless, and thank those who are pulled by the love of good. I don't know how to do that of course, and I don't have the words but I love and admire those who seek to live that way. I heard somebody mock the moral with the quip, Virtue is its only reward. Well if you're only going to get one reward there's nothing like one that's titanic.

I read about some recent research with monkeys working to get a reward. The researcher essentially gave a big reward to some monkeys who did little to earn it and little for those who had to do more. Them monkeys quit playing the game. They instinctively understood fair play. I think humans are born wanting to please and wanting to love and be loved.

Given that as a factual datum, the question I ask is why. We have the universe and the evolution of conscious man. What is is a reflection of what is. Life is driven by the forces that drive evolution and what evolved is love. So for life the essential property of the universe is Love, the water of our fish. May you be one with your mirror.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
What's the deal with leaving the "o" out of "God" -- as in "G-d". Does that have some sort of Christian significance or something?

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Reminds me of a very good book Evolutionary Origins of Morality. Sort of a debate between the conclusions of several scientific fields.

It goes back to the need for cooperation, to stay alive. So I believe I still have some of that emeded in me, to the point were not everything is done conciously. It goes to the assumption that by helping others well you get helped out to when you need it. My impetus would be a desire for the furtherment of mankind both concious and sub-concious.

Also cheers to a thought provoking thread.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
"morals aren't substance you can shove in someone's ear
They're basically a bi-product of a mind thinking clear"

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
My Christian faith. In Matthew 19 Jesus tells us "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." pretty good rule to live by, but sometimes it's tough. Especially the way people drive in Louisiana!