What's the holdup with MO and NC?

Feb 16, 2005
Just curious, MO has McCain 50% Obama 49% and NC has Obama 50% and McCain 49%
I realize if Obama took both he'd be at that magical 375, so anyone know what's going on?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I guess I'm never going to agree with the concept of the Electoral College.

I'm not going to run for cover guys, Obama still won by the popular vote. Don't turn my statement into something it's not.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
At this point, the final numbers are only for statistical purposes. The main thing its large enough to freeze anyone from asking for a recount or filing frivolous challenges. When I got up this morning, Indiana, NC, and Missouri were listed as too close to call, but still Obama was way over 300. McCain could have won the lot and it would still be an Obama election, as it, Obama has now bagged two out of three.

As a dem I have to laugh, it was Howard Dean, the very fellow the GOP loved to deride, that came up with the 50 State strategy, and Obama Axlerod executed it to near perfection.

There is the old saying that the battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eaton, and organization sure helps.

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
350=ass kicking, agreed

375 = landslide

400 = avalanche, teeth to curb

400+ = i have no word.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Cynic in me says that North Carolina and Georgia were "delayed" (there are apparently something like 600,000 early / absentee votes in Georgia that haven't been counted yet) so that a very early call of election for Obama might not demoralize west coast voters for McLame from getting to the polls (basically, blunting impact of a Democratic wave that was conceived to have been possible, particulary for down ticket candidates).

edit: I previously read that it would be mathematically impossible to call the election formally for Obama before 11 PM; I suspect, however, that responsible journalists could have easily called the election for Obama at say 8 PM, if they had been allowed to...

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: mshan
Cynic in me says that North Carolina and Georgia were "delayed" (there are apparently something like 600,000 early / absentee votes in Georgia that haven't been counted yet) so that a very early call of election for Obama might not demoralize west coast voters for McLame from getting to the polls (basically, blunting impact of a Democratic wave that was conceived to have been possible, particulary for down ticket candidates).

edit: I previously read that it would be mathematically impossible to call the election formally for Obama before 11 PM; I suspect, however, that responsible journalists could have easily called the election for Obama at say 8 PM, if they had been allowed to...

right, it was rather comical, last night i think i was watching abc at the time, the guy said, we will call the election as soon one person get enough electorals... 10 seconds later, at 11pm, they gave all the west coast states to obama immediately and then immediately project him the winner....

SecPro

Jul 17, 2007
NC is counting provisional and absentee ballots. Keep an eye on the vote totals at CNN. About forty thousand new votes have been counted since this morning and Obama has increased his lead to about 14K.