Whats the highest number of icons you've seen running in a system tray?

nitrousninja

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2000
My brother-in-law had 12 in his tray at startup with a P2 system. It took about 4 minutes to boot up! I was laughing so hard because I've never seen that many!

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is general hardware, What's your hardware question?

This seems Off topic to me,go to OT or Software forum.

TunaBoo

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
12 is nothing. Coral office adds 6 or 7 by ITSELF. I have seen upwards of 30 on a pentium1 class compuer with 32 ram

datallah

Jul 9, 2001
I have 22 on mine right now... (1600*1200) the icons themselves dont slow it down.. it depnds what those icons represent and how much they do in the background.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< I have 21 in my tray right now, so? >>

I got 0 here in the work machine. Not even a speaker.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hey I just got rid of the clock and speaker to see how it looks, can anyone tell me how to get it back?:eek:

nm, I got it:)

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Weather Bug (which is horrible at forecasting weather)
MSN Messenger
Winamp
WinMX

NoreagaCNN

Banned
Sep 28, 2000

<< Hey I just got rid of the clock and speaker to see how it looks, can anyone tell me how to get it back?:eek:
>>

Um, right click on the taskbar and click &quot;show clock&quot;

-Nore

PS: I only have 2 Icons, hehe

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I've got 5, but really only one program running in the background:

*Display Properties adjust
*Speaker program
*Resource Meter
*Volume
*Task Scheduler

Oh, and the time.

The funniest case of too much running in the background was my brother. He's CEO and founder of a very large and successful computer peripheral and networking corporation, but has lost touch with his geek side and has his IT guys set up his laptops for him. We were looking at videos of his kid's model rockets and he was complaining about how his brand new IBM laptop (he gets one every year or less) seemed so slow and was always getting out of resource errors... then he pulled up the task bar to do something and he had about 40 icons in his systray. I explained to him about system resources, memory and the systray and we went about disabling most of the worthless crap running in the background.

As we did this, his 13 year old son was watching. He just shook his head and said, &quot;wow, I can't believe uncle **** knows more about computers than Dad!&quot; I fell over laughing. :D