What's the dumbest thing you've ever done (in/with/let someone do to) a car?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
1. I got caught doing 100MPH on the 520 bridge (12AM) between Bellevue and Seattle, speed limit 50, could have been worse, but cop decreased the speed so I didn't get my liscence taken away. This was in a 1984 Honda Accord HB, believe it or not, I think that thing has around 85 Hp.

2. Took my 95' Acura Integra Special to 115MPH on the I-5 express ways, racing a motorcycle. I love going fast in that section of I-5 in Seattle, no cops, usually no cars.

3. My friend got caught drunk, 4 people in the car, underage, all drunk, no seatbelts, no car insurance, going 30 mph over the speed limit, and wavering in two lanes....NO TICKET....just a warning....Luckiest dude I have ever known.

:)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< 3. My friend got caught drunk, 4 people in the car, underage, all drunk, no seatbelts, no car insurance, going 30 mph over the speed limit, and wavering in two lanes....NO TICKET....just a warning....Luckiest dude I have ever known. >>

1) That is one stupid ass cop.
2) You're friend needs help ;)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
1)Raced a ~91 Civic with my 91 Shadow. This was in very dense traffic at about 8pm, it was pretty dark. Doing 85 weaving between lanes constantly - almost clipped a truck during a lane change. The kicker? I only had my license for 3 weeks (not much driving exprerience).

2)Anyone who's been to Revere, MA might know &quot;Marsh Road&quot;, it's a very long stretch of road and it's dead empty late at night. There's nowhere cops can hide on that road, so it's impossible to get nabbed as long as your rearview is clear... I had my moms Infiniti J30t (same V6 that's in the Nissan 300ZX). Basically decided to see what it could do, and that bad boy downshifting at 50MPH and slamming ahead...damn it was great. Made it up past 90MPH easily, had 2 other people with me so I had to chill a little.

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
1) Doing 140mph in my moms Mercedes C280 :)

2) Oh and just taking it late at night which she doesn't know about cause I'm not insured to drive it.

3) A cop started to chase me as I was turning at 90 degree turn he was about half a mile behind me well the next turn I saw I turned in and floored it. Then I saw a spot in the bushes well I kinda drove the car in there and turned the lights off and turned the car off. Well luckily the cop didn't figure out where I went. *Whew!*

:)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Then I saw a spot in the bushes well I kinda drove the car in there and turned the lights off and turned the car off. Well luckily the cop didn't figure out where I went. *Whew!* >>

Muahahaha ;)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Jeez, hearing too many lucky stories in this thread! Between the drunks getting away /w warnings and the &quot;amazing disappearing C-Class&quot;, I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with my speeding ;[/b]P

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Let me see.

110 coming back from NOPI. Cop waves for me to slow down.
Numerous street races.

Hydroplaned and split between a mailbox and a Telephone pole.
Hydroplaned and split between two telephone poles.

150 mph+ speed run in traffic on the way to school. (I was late)

Ran from lots of cops. Hide down a side road, at someone's house.

Did a burn out with a sheriff two cars ahead. He was off duty and in a truck. He was pissed. My friend had his Trans Am riding on the sidewalk right behind me.

Gotten sideways and almost hit a cop.

I could list much much more.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not me, but a friend of mine in HS....Following another car at 50MPH.....He decided to pass the car....in a special way...

Backed off.......nearing gas station up small hill on right side of road....build up speed....swerves off road and up hill to gas station......STILL ACCELERATING.....through gas pump islands....STILL ACCELERATING.....down other side of hill....STILL ACCELERATING...and back onto road in front of other car......ME Praying.....missing the front by 2 feet! :Q:Q:Q

/me still scared and laying in fetal position....

dogbite

Banned
Jan 3, 2000
Back in 1988 Me and my friend were comeing back from a club in NYC about 2:00am in my 1979 Trans-am, I drove in the center tube of the Lincoln tunnel,When all sudden this white Corvette blows past me , what do I do, downshift to second gear and put my foot to the floor,well to make a long story short, at the jersey side of the tunnel they had two lanes going into one , so I had a choice hit the vette or the wall,I chose the wall,well let me tell you,I smashed all four side of that trans-am , got locked up for 6 hours, and could not drive for 6 months, but thank god nobody got hurt..........I still might have some tiles from the wall of the Lincoln tunnel around here if I look.............

deepcover

Sep 28, 2000
5 Years ago, I started a new job. I knew it would be a good job when upon arriving at work, my boss asks if I waterski. I come back into Fresno, Ca, sunburnt and drunk. He drops me off at a bar where I am supposed to meet a couple of friends of mine. I proceed to get drunker. We all decide bar hopping is the theme of the night. The driver is about 35, not drinking (I swear) and driving her ex husbands '67 Mustang. About 11:30 at night her and I leave the bar we are at. We are driving in the city, and she stops at a light to make a left turn. The people in front of us dont move fast enough for her taste, so she burns rubber around them, cutting them off. She is laughing, doing 75-80 in a 35, says something and looks over at me. Last thing I remember thinking is &quot;She does see that lightpole in front of us, doesnt she....&quot; We hit the lightpole. I broke two ribs on the seatbelt, she broke her nose. The hit did more damage to that car then I want to think about. It knocked over the light pole, tore both front wheels off, knocked the engine off its mounts, broke the rear axle, etc. In other words, she KILLED the car. She then mumbles something about being on probation, and takes off on foot. Me...drunk....next to a Red Totalled Mustang. I decide to hoof it to. As she starts running off, the car she originally cut off.....It passes honking its horn at us. So I walked back to the bar, and proceeded to drink some more. Imagine her surprise when the cops show up at her house the next day, asking her why she reported the car stolen, and I had reported the accident. At least a cop didnt see me leaving the scene. I am sure I would have went directly to Jail, not passing go. ;)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
holy sh&iuml;t dogbite! :[/b]o

<< It passes honking its horn at us >>

LOL - they must've been laughing their asses of at you!

deepcover

Sep 28, 2000
Laughing their asses off would be polite.
But, I think they should have stopped to see if everyone is OK.....
But thats just my .02

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
a friend of mine kept taking his beat up pos 1979 trans am with an olds crate engine into this know-nothing mechanic. the engine leaks from pretty much every part. anyhow, hes driving from austin home to houston for spring break, has almost everything in the car (clothes, books, other people's books, his p2 400 cuz he couldn't stand to be without it for a week) and less than 30 miles from austin it catches on fire and he loses almost everything in it.

dumbest thing i ever did was not have girl who sideswiped me while backing out of the perpendicular spot next to mine fix the damage. oh, i've been over 100mph in the i-10 HOV lane in houston (its a single walled-off lane) and on the feeder for the same freeway. can't do much in a 1991 ford taurus gl. (3 liter vulcan v6... piece of sh!t engine). oh, there was the time that i floored it for almost no aparent reason to go through an intersection at richmond and highway 6 in houston. highway 6 is built up 9 or 10 feet from richmond, and theres a kinda steep ramp up from richmond to 6. i'm not really sure how fast i was going, but i'm pretty certain the car left the ground, then it bottomed all the way out, scraping the tranny pan, breaking the engine bolts (happens all the time on that car), i had to swerve really hard to avoid hitting the minivan in front of me.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< . So I walked back to the bar, and proceeded to drink some more. >>

ROTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

deepcover

Sep 28, 2000
NFS4 - Can you blame me...... It wasnt until the next day that I actually realized I had broken Ribs. I still remember trying to play a game of Pool later that night....And there were people trying to make me laugh :)

Slap

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
While in High School, one of my friends was out with his girlfriend and she decided to ride him while he was driving. Needless to say he missed a curve and drove straight off into a pond. He was only 15 so he didn't yet have his liscense. They never lived that one down at school. Of course he loved every minute of it.

I on the other hand had a 87 Nissan Sentra that we took of roading one day and got stuck. That same friend was riding with me and I told him to get on the hood and add some weight. he then starts jumping up and down on it. Not only did it not help, my hood could now hold water in the center of it.

Slap

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< But, I think they should have stopped to see if everyone is OK..... >>

I definitly agree, because it sounded like a serious accident, it left you with 2 broken ribs after all...

<< breaking the engine bolts (happens all the time on that car) >>

Wow, what a...comforting tendancy =P

<< it catches on fire and he loses almost everything in it. >>

Jeez, I know I shouldn't be laughing at that...but I am! LOL!

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Forget that NFS4, did you catch this one?!

<< one of my friends was out with his girlfriend and she decided to ride him while he was driving >>

Daaaamn!! :Q

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

<< she decided to ride him while he was.... >>

Never done anything quite that *ahem* fun while driving, although I am convinced I have good concentration ;)

Without a doubt the dumbest thing I ever did was one night on this really bumpy country road (chuckholes all over etc), take my 88 Turbo Daytona up to say 120 ish. Wow that car was so all over the road. I'm actually now amazed I didnt loose control hit the ditch and flip.

Although there was this one time I was coming home from high school in town and came up to a 4 way stop with a car in the lane next to me, and just noticed some fat guy in the car. I goosed it a bit and the Aries let the tires chirp for a second or two. I continue down the road at about 45 in a 35 and notice the same car that was next to me really really hauling up to me. The road is quickly merging ahead of me but I'm maintianing speed since its not my lane that ends. This car blows past me right at the lst minute forcing me onto the shoulder. I then follow him a bit closely :) Soon we come to a stop light and I'm parked behind him contemplating if he deserves the bird when I see his door open and him get out. I'm thinking &quot;oh shi....&quot; but I then noticed this badge on his shirt! Lets just say I had no idea it was teh cop who lived like 3 houses down from mine and he was none too happy with my driving :)

Slap

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
The story about my friend is in the words of Kurt Angle, &quot;it's true......it's true&quot;. She was a wild little thing, but growing up in a rural town of TN you get to see many wild things.

Slap

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Wild girls are cool :p

I guess it's about time I share a story...

I had just gotten back from an afternoon/evening band competition in late fall. While I was there, some snow began to lightly dust the roads. By the time we got back to my high school, there was a solid 1&quot; of powder on the already icy roads. Being the thoughtful type, I decided to lock the front hubs on my Bronco, and it's a damn good thing I did. A couple of friends and I had decided to go out for a pizza, and I was the last one to leave. Well, coming to the intersection near my high school, my light had just turned green, and me, not thinking, gunned it and cranked hard to the right. Well, the truck decided that it didn't like that... at all. After sliding sideways through the intersection, my left rear tire caught the curb and skipped about a foot in the air. This broke the spring shackle, which in turn let that side of the rear end pivot back. The driveshaft pulled out of the transfer case, leaving me with no driving wheels at all, and a truck with a SEVERE left hand pull. I got out, picked up the shattered driveshaft, and broke out the hi-lift jack and a chain. I had the spring back in place in about 5 minutes, and I drove home in front wheel drive. ;) Never again...

[edit] Oh, and I was in 2-Hi at the time of the mishap; I was saving 4WD for the hill climb to my house :)

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
I was driving my family Porsche S.. Hmmmmm

My friend was driving his Mustang.

We were dragging it on a one lane highway. Hmm taking turns at 50 and still sticking to the ground is so damn fun to do. Kinda scary cause I am used to driving a huge Grand Cherokee laredo.

Also a strange thing.. I am a conservative Porsche Driver. Shoot me later but tahts just me.

Also don't want to ruin it. Its only a few months old

Gatsby