Whats the difference between eating a cow and a horse?

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

There are people that don't eat meat. There is nothing wrong with that. There are people that do eat meat. While talking at work this morning, I was in a debate about eating cats and dogs(and horses). In other parts of the world, people eat them. In the USA it is considered taboo. Where did the Idea come from that it is inappropriate to eat those specific species? Fish, chickens, cows, pigs, ducks, deer, geese, shrimp, crawfish, rabbits, turkeys, and other animals are perfectly normal animals to eat. Why is it wrong to eat a cat, dog, or a horse?
I don't understand the logic at all. An animal is an animal. What's the difference?

It's ok to eat Bambi and Thumper, but you can't eat Milo and Otis....

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
I think it is because cats and dogs are domestic, we form emotional bonds with them and they become taboo to eat, i know i cant ever eat a cat or a dog

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Part of it stems from the fact that horses are rather intelligent while cows are some of the dumbest animals around. Since cats and dogs are domesticated and quite common as pets, it's easy to see why people are averse to eating them (no, don't eat Fido!).

It's a question of what we regard as a food animal and what we regard as a companion. Horses, cats, and dogs are much more commonly considered "pets" before "food". For most people, rabbits are also considered off limits for the same reasons. People don't like to kill cute creatures for their food.

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
Cows are quite dumb. We should only eat the dump horses. Watch out dumb people too!

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
there is a special breed of dog they eat, it aint like they gonna kidnap your poodle and cook it. You say cows are dumb? they know when they are about to be butchered and shed tears; is that soleley based on instinct? could be.
as a side note, i would never touch any dog meat.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I thought it came from the Bible. The difference is that cattle have split hooves and horses don't.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
LOL, oldandquitemad!

I think it is largely cultural. People in Lousiana eat some stuff I couldn't eat... aren't some restaurants there serving those big swamp rats, called nutria? :p

We sort of think that whatever we grow up with is 'okay' or normal, no matter what it is. People eat what their village eats, so to speak.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Purely a matter of what you are taught as you are raised. Hypothetically what is the difference between the meat from people and the meat from cows? There isn't

That ought to stir things up a little........

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Isla

You have watched the Waterboy too many times. Not all of us from Louisiana are backwood hicks. :) I haven't heard of a restaurant that serves nutria rats. There was something on CNN I saw that said the big sewer rats in new york were being served in soups in the High Class places...

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000

<< There was something on CNN I saw that said the big sewer rats in new york were being served in soups in the High Class places... >>

exactly. there are some dishes (mostly chinese) which you would have no clue what they would put in.

<< is that beef you think you are eating? >>

:D

Harrisment

Aug 29, 2000
Rabbits are not cute. When I was 2 my pet rabbit bit off half of my index finger. We didn't eat him though, just slaughtered the bastard.

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
Meat is meat. If something happened like the plane crash the soccer team experienced in the book Alive! I'd sure expect the people left alive to have the good sense to munch on ME...if I happened to be dead, of course.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Dedpuhl

LOL, I like the folk from Louisiana, it's a great state with rich heritage. Some of the nicest people I have ever met were from Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I think what I saw was more about considering them as a possible meat source.... something about the protein content being high and the fat content being low! :D

It does make you want to be verrrrrry careful where you eat these days, North, East, South, or West!

unxpurg8ed-

Absolutely! Did you see the movie as well? After the movie is a short documentary about the people and how they have come to terms with what they went through. Amazing!

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
I couldn't eat horses, cats or dogs simply because they are my favorite animals, and I couldn't get myself to do it.
I've never cuddled with a cow, and they taste good, so I guess it doesn't affect me that way other animals would.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
<<I've never cuddled with a cow>> well you sure have lead a sheltered life....... ;)

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
Isla, I saw the movie years ago but I didn't see the reunion documentary. I can't imagine how hard that must've been for them.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
&quot;Rabbits are not cute. When I was 2 my pet rabbit bit off half of my index finger. We didn't eat him though, just slaughtered the bastard. &quot;

They can be pretty viscious. I've had two that hated each other, at any chance they would fight and draw blood, it was insane. Of course i've had normal rabbits too.. but still, this showed me a whole other side to the little docile things hehe

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its all about religion. Here in iceland we changed religion from pagan to christianity in the year 1000, and there were few changes that we got but the rest of europe didnt. We got to continue to eat horses, and to worship the pagan religion (just as no one knew about it:)). Same reason I think jewish people dont eat pig, because of salmonella actually but in their religion it is forbidden.

Horse meat is ok I guess, very tough, but it makes a good pepper steak :)