Whats the difference between DVD and AVI playback?

xMax

Sep 2, 2005
If an uncompressed AVI animation in binary form, simply stores the RGB values for each pixel of each image that makes up the animation, then what would a DVD animation be.

Is it simply a higher resolution? And if it is, then whats the difference between an AVI animation and a DVD animation if they both have the same resolution.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
AVIs tend to be progresive scan, while DVDs are always interlaced. And yeah, resolution can go either way on AVIs while DVDs are 720x480.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
A DVD is compressed with MPEG-2 whereas you're talking about an uncompressed format in an AVI container.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
For the record, the MPEG-2 is not a big table of RGB values like AVI. An MPEG-2 stream contains GOPs (groups of pictures). These GOPs contain I (key frame), P (prediction), and B (bidirectional) frames. I frames contain a very good quality image while P and B frames predict the delta between the I frame and the next frame to save space. The amount of I, P, and B frames varies per implementation.

Edit: sorry didn't see your summary, but aren't consumer DVD-R movies always compressed? What specifically do you mean by DVD? You can burn an uncompressed video on to a DVD-R disc.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Is it even possible to have an uncompressed DVD? Aren't DVDs always compressed with mpeg2?

Anyway, AVI is just a wrapper format. It can be anything some programmer wants it to be. At the same file size & resolution, an AVI could be worse, the same, or better than a DVD depending on the codec used.

xMax

Sep 2, 2005
to Xtknight: what i ment was DVD file format. but all is ok. i just want an uncompressed file format like AVI uncompressed or even BMP playback. dont ask me why, because its not for a typical reason. but now i know that DVD is something complex and involves compression and is not made up of basic table of RGB values.

thank you. you gave me all the info that i needed.