Whats the difference between a Titanium watch and a stainless steel watch?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
The Titanium model is $40 more than the steel model. Can anyone tell me the differences between the two, stainless steel and titanium?

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I believe titanium is lighter. stainless steel watches are heavy, at least the one I have is. I can never get it to stay in place on my wrist so it's always hanging

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Im looking at the Citizen Nighthawk

Stainless Steel

Titanium

Personally, I like the look of the stainless steel model more. Im not really impressed by the gray titanium color. They make this watch in a black stainless steel model as well, but Id rather get something silver because it goes with more.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
i would need a microscope to read anything on that.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Go with the titanium, they are much lighter and the ones I have scratch less than my stainless steal ones. For the past couple of years I have only bought titanium Seiko's.

Also I am a bit biased though, I am a titanium fanboy, I love the name, the look, the strength, the lightness, pretty much if it has titanium in it, I am sold (I have titanium core tennis balls, knives, etc.). :D

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
lighter and doesn't hold heat/cold as long

so when you wear it it goes to your body temp real quickly

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you're going by those images for color difference, it may just be white balance issues. I'll bet they're both virtually the same color. Titanium is harder to machine than most stainless, so that could account for a lot of difference in cost. Things like that would bother me over time. Everytime I looked at the watch I'd be thinking I should have gotten the better material. $40.00 spread over several years ain't much.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Titanium can be stronger than steel, but the strongest steels are stronger than the strongest titanium alloys.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
I have a Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium and it is very light for a watch of it's size. But if weight isn't a consideration for you and only looks, then get the SS if that's you think looks better.