What's the deal with my 9800Pro?

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
Lately I have been playing games quite a bit. I got all the way through HL2 with my video card working fine...then I played Doom3. The card was fine for about 1/2 of the game, at which point it would start crashing on me (the game would freeze up and then it would show the little VPU recovery box on my desktop, telling me that the video card had basically crashed and recovered, at a lower resolution too, which is annoying). Well I got through Doom3 by only playing in 2 hour spurts and not allowing the card to have problems.

I know that Doom3 is a taxing game on any ATI (or NVIDIA too, I suppose) card, but shouldn't I just be getting crappy framerates? Not a complete crash... I started playing Farcry yesterday and twice already the game has frozen on me (randomly, as in there was no problem with FPS, it JUST STOPPED all of a sudden) and I got the VPU recovery thing again.

My card isn't dead...why can't it play these games though!? I have them set to medium graphical settings...my case gets a bit warm, but I have two case fans sucking in from the front and two blowing out (one in the back, one on top). ARGH!!! It's so annoying!

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
check your gfx card to make sure the fan is still spinning. Also disable VPU recovery in the display properties and see what that does.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: FreshFish
Lately I have been playing games quite a bit. I got all the way through HL2 with my video card working fine...then I played Doom3. The card was fine for about 1/2 of the game, at which point it would start crashing on me (the game would freeze up and then it would show the little VPU recovery box on my desktop, telling me that the video card had basically crashed and recovered, at a lower resolution too, which is annoying). Well I got through Doom3 by only playing in 2 hour spurts and not allowing the card to have problems.

I know that Doom3 is a taxing game on any ATI (or NVIDIA too, I suppose) card, but shouldn't I just be getting crappy framerates? Not a complete crash... I started playing Farcry yesterday and twice already the game has frozen on me (randomly, as in there was no problem with FPS, it JUST STOPPED all of a sudden) and I got the VPU recovery thing again.

My card isn't dead...why can't it play these games though!? I have them set to medium graphical settings...my case gets a bit warm, but I have two case fans sucking in from the front and two blowing out (one in the back, one on top). ARGH!!! It's so annoying!
I had the same problem - get the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI