whats the deal with all those commercials for phone chats?

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
it seems like in the last several years all these commercials popped up for "phone chats for singles" like "lavalife" and etc... how do they make money? are they even real? i cant immagine anyone calling in to meet people.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Isn't that sort of a step backward considering how much more technologically advanced we are?

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I've been single and wanted to meet new people, but I never even considered a chat line. I also wonder who calls those things.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: yowolabi
I've been single and wanted to meet new people, but I never even considered a chat line. I also wonder who calls those things.

Same people that would be on an online chat room if they had an internet connection.

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Ktulu

Same people that would be on an online chat room if they had an internet connection.

but chatrooms are free...and u can talk to multiple people, and possibly see them... just makes no sense to me!

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DarkManX
Originally posted by: Ktulu

but chatrooms are free...and u can talk to multiple people, and possibly see them... just makes no sense to me!

That point about an internet connection is a good one. Because i've never been without the internet in the past 10 years, I tend to assume everyone has a computer, an internet connection, and the ability to find a chat room online.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Those companies partner with cable companies, and the cable companies only broadcast those ads to customers who fit the profile of lonely, gullible young males with credit cards. :p

So, um, that's what I've heard, anyway. Yeah.

zeruty

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2000

When I was 16, I had a girlfriend who was 13. One day when I was over at her house, her 11 year old sister was entertaining herself by calling one of those chatlines and talking dirty to the guys on there...