What's the best way to measure body fat?

five40

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2004
Does anyone know the best way to measure body fat? Also, any links to buy the measuring tool would be helpful. Thanks.

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
just go up to a random person and ask "do I look fat to you?"

arnt those measurements done by submerging someone in water and taking measurements? you aint gonna buy that system

five40

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
just go up to a random person and ask "do I look fat to you?"

arnt those measurements done by submerging someone in water and taking measurements? you aint gonna buy that system

That would be fun, but not accurate. I know they have fat calipers and scales that read it from your feet, but I don't know if those are any good, or even what the best way for a person to measure is.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
You can buy weight scales that run an electric current from one foot to another, and they can accurately measure your body fat percentage.

Aug 26, 2004
poke your stomach and see how long you jiggle...then multiply that number by how many twinkies you've eaten that week and you have your answer...

seriously though...i remember back in high school they had a little device they would pinch your skin with in certian areas of you body, stomach, thigh and arm i think...and they would plug those numbers into a formula and get an approximation of your body fat...i dont know waht the tool was called though

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Skin calipers, electronic scales, and a good old soft tape are the three most common home methods.

Dunk tank is the "right" way to do it, but obviously most people don't have that option.

Viper GTS

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Skin calipers, electronic scales, and a good old soft tape are the three most common home methods.

Dunk tank is the "right" way to do it, but obviously most people don't have that option.

Viper GTS

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I understand that the scales aren't accurate if you have low BF. I have a neat little digital caliper thing myself.

five40

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Yossarian
I understand that the scales aren't accurate if you have low BF. I have a neat little digital caliper thing myself.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll grab a little digital one as well. Overstock had a decently cheap one.