whats the best water filtration system that you get for your home?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I am in the market for either a water filtration system for drinking water or putting a high tech culligan system in the house.
Any suggestions?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Is your tap water really that bad?

Mine is. Our tap water is "iron rich" and heavily chlorinated.
Previous owners of the house had a double filtration system installed. 2 "Big Blue" canisters with sediment and carbon filters. The sediment filter is always orange from the iron/rust when it's removed. I've kicked around the idea of putting in a proper water filtration/softener system...but at over $4k, if it gets that bad, fuck it...we'll move...again.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Mine is. Our tap water is "iron rich" and heavily chlorinated.
Previous owners of the house had a double filtration system installed. 2 "Big Blue" canisters with sediment and carbon filters. The sediment filter is always orange from the iron/rust when it's removed. I've kicked around the idea of putting in a proper water filtration/softener system...but at over $4k, if it gets that bad, fuck it...we'll move...again.

get your water tested then you know what kind of iron filter you need. Sizing would of course impact price, but for two people don't go hog. Water softening is not really good for you if you are on low sodium diet. you are replacing calcium with sodium.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
get your water tested then you know what kind of iron filter you need. Sizing would of course impact price, but for two people don't go hog. Water softening is not really good for you if you are on low sodium diet. you are replacing calcium with sodium.

Previous owners of the house had the testing done. According to the filtration people who service the system, I have the right filter cartridges... (I'm a virgin, I've never been lied to before) :rolleyes:
I understand (on a limited basis) what water softeners do...and the cation/anion exchange media is SUPPOSED to remove the excess sodium. (IMO, the price for the system is too high. ($4k-$6K plus annual maintenance) We're not biting.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Previous owners of the house had the testing done. According to the filtration people who service the system, I have the right filter cartridges... (I'm a virgin, I've never been lied to before) :rolleyes:
I understand (on a limited basis) what water softeners do...and the cation/anion exchange media is SUPPOSED to remove the excess sodium. (IMO, the price for the system is too high. ($4k-$6K plus annual maintenance) We're not biting.

Test the water that the system puts out :awe:

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
As sdifox said - test the water!
Use a qualified lab, not some water service or test strips, but a real lab.
When you have the results post and ask -> https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/
You shouldn't have a problem being under $1k total and under $100 a year for expendables if it is only as bad as you say.
Remember, the removal of iron (and other bad things) is a separate process from water softening (if done properly).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I had forgotten about this thread. This is last year's filter change:

aaz.sized.jpg

Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I'd say a reverse osmosis system like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/APEC-Wa...rinking-Water-Filter-System-RO-PH90/206343435

They have a few "cheaper" models by the same brand there, but the filtration isn't as good as this model, and you did use the term "best".
that is close to what i would recommend, except the ones i use have a UV light (no idea if it helps). I use two of these one to fill 5 gallon jugs, and another built in under the sink for a backup when the 5 gallon needs to be changed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
that is close to what i would recommend, except the ones i use have a UV light (no idea if it helps). I use two of these one to fill 5 gallon jugs, and another built in under the sink for a backup when the 5 gallon needs to be changed.
The UV works if the pre-filter is installed and maintained correctly. If particles big enough to shade the germs make it through the filter, the effectiveness of the UV drops.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I had forgotten about this thread. This is last year's filter change:

aaz.sized.jpg
Dang how the hell do you get away with yearly filter changes? I have a similar setup installed at my house and I'm lucky to get 2 months out of the filters.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Dang how the hell do you get away with yearly filter changes? I have a similar setup installed at my house and I'm lucky to get 2 months out of the filters.

At $100 per change, that would suck. They PROBABLY should be changed more frequently...maybe every 6 months, but I'm cheap...unfortunately, those filters, as good as they are, do NOTHING for reducing the high TDS in out water. It ranges from around 300 to close to 500 ppm.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
At $100 per change, that would suck. They PROBABLY should be changed more frequently...maybe every 6 months, but I'm cheap...unfortunately, those filters, as good as they are, do NOTHING for reducing the high TDS in out water. It ranges from around 300 to close to 500 ppm.
Yep, only way to reduce TDS is reverse osmosis. Probably should look into a softener though. Hard water sucks.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Kertin

Apr 14, 2022
Hi all. I think the water in my house has too much chlorine (I can smell it, especially when taking a hot shower). What are some inexpensive solutions to the problem?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hi all. I think the water in my house has too much chlorine (I can smell it, especially when taking a hot shower). What are some inexpensive solutions to the problem?

err why would there be chlorine in your tap water? you sure it's not chloride?

Kertin

Apr 14, 2022
err why would there be chlorine in your tap water? you sure it's not chloride?
I'm not sure what the correct name is. It smells really strong.
I recently moved in and it wasn't like that in my last apartment.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm not sure what the correct name is. It smells really strong.
I recently moved in and it wasn't like that in my last apartment.
Probably chloride, or your water heater has a lot of sediment. Do a water test first.