What's the best thing to leave behind for your children?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
aah, H always confuses me. D: :D
A vs An is always about how it SOUNDS.
The whole purpose of AN is to break up the vowel sound of words that begin with a vowel sound.

An honest answer.
An honorable applause.

A habitable planet.
A heart shaped box.
A halibut sized kiwi.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I swear I posted in this thread...guess not.

My answers are:

A good work ethic
A lack of entitlement

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
I would say, generically:

1. A work ethic
2. A decent set of morals
3. Quality time spent

If you don't have a work ethic, you're going to have a hard time in life, and that includes if you're rich. I have some friends who are the sons of rich guys, grew up fairly spoiled, and are unhappy because they don't have to work & never get that good feeling from contributing to society & helping other people. So teaching a work ethic isn't just about being able to provide well for yourself, but also to feel good about yourself. It's just wired into us as human beings - using your talents to help others makes you feel good.

Society is a mixed bag of morals, so everyone will have different views on what is a good baseline here. There's some saying about having both integrity (trustworthiness) & morals (i.e. being a good guy instead of a bad guy), because without morals, you can be an honest hitman (integrity), but that doesn't make you a good human being :awe: You have to be able to live with yourself too, and if you do bad things, you're obviously not going to feel good about yourself. Of course, you could always lower your standards, or if you've got some mental & emotional issues (re: Dexter), that certainly makes it harder, but in order for society to work, you pretty much need a basic set of decent morals.

And yeah, like others have said, memories. It's not just about spending time, it's about spending quality time, even if it's just playing video games together or chilling & watching a movie. I have a buddy who travels 20 days out of the month, but he still calls & Facetimes his kids & has a great relationship with them, despite not always physically being there. One of the most emotionally scarring things for kids is having a difficult family life growing up - parents who were never there, divorced parents, parents who didn't care, parents who fought all the time. It's not hard to step up your game to act like a good parent, you just have to choose to do it, so while we can't change our past, you can still make the decision to be a good parent to your kids, if you have them.

I don't think material things like money or possessions are all that important to leave behind. While I do think there are areas where it helps - helping pay for college, co-signing for their first car loan, that sort of thing - kids are better served getting the habits baked into them growing up so that they can be self-sufficient, the whole "give a man a fish, feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish, you feed him forever" deal. It's the old story of people winning the lottery & going broke within a year - people operate off habits, so if you don't raise your kids with stuff like a work ethic, some morals, and a solid emotional foundation, they're going to have a harder time in life because they're going to have to overcome those habits by themselves if they want to lead a more fulfilling life; that is, if they ever decide to do so.

Thanks for post TL:DR first.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
A vs An is always about how it SOUNDS.
The whole purpose of AN is to break up the vowel sound of words that begin with a vowel sound.

An honest answer.
An honorable applause.

A habitable planet.
A heart shaped box.
A halibut sized kiwi.

Thank-you for so clearly explaining this to the great unwashed! :wub:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Beer, Cigars, and some good steaks.

I plan to die poor, but I want my next of kin to enjoy life, to splurge.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
"What's the best thing to leave behind for your children?"

I was left an inheritance by my parents. My inheritance took many forms, money, a house, etc. ... but the thing that I feel is the "best" thing that was left to me are the memories and the love that I continue to feel these many years on.

Being a good parent is the best thing that you can leave behind because the children feel loved ...

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
My answers are:

A good work ethic
A lack of entitlement

Good start. I would add:

1. The best education you can afford for them.

2. Simple, day-to-day, modeling of basic integrity and ethics. A humble but profound example was separately watching both my Dad and my Mom instantly return money to a cashier when they were given too much back. Remember, it's not what you tell your children but how you act that they take in.

3. A basic sense of "service." By this I mean, a low key but instinctive helping of those less fortunate than you, with no "look at me" self-congratulation or demeaning the recipient by calling it charity. My parents were one of several on my block and the block behind us who quietly and even secretly helped out a family when the father lost his job. They never had to ask or beg or be publicly humiliated by being seen as charity cases . . . money and food just showed up at their back door, with no one having to publicly organize one damn thing. This simple act of community made me fiercely proud of where and how I grew up.

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
"Enough money so that they would feel they could do anything, but not so much that they could do nothing."

--Warren Buffet

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
late reply but I think clear communication that you love them (unconditionally)

recently read this in a Carolyn Hax advice column:

Re: Gender:

My sister-in-law was the second of four daughters born to a career military officer. When someone asked her father if he hoped to "finally get that boy" when her mom was pregnant with the fourth, he said, "Oh I'd be thrilled with another little girl; we love our girls."

I am sure he wanted a son. But his daughter heard him say this, and now as she nears age 70 it still matters to her.

-- Anonymous

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/advice/article/Carolyn-Hax-Hubby-unhappy-with-sex-of-new-kid-6462238.php