What's the best program to view and edit jpeg images?

Ladi

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2000
For basics, try PaintShopPro: http://www.jasc.com

[edit]I'm impressed...noone's bringing up Photoshop yet. Just a note though: it's a great app, but definitely pro level with a high learning curve (not to mention high cost). The apps being mentioned here are definitely better for your purposes. Side note: PSP has always had a great image browser as well.[/edit]

~Ladi

HellRaven

Feb 5, 2000
Paint Shop Pro is very good. It actually is pretty powerful for the price. Another good retail program on the relatively inexpensive side is Macromedia Fireworks 3. I am sure if you searched you might be able to find a free program. Of course, there is always Warez too =)

Ulysses

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2000
For simply viewing files you already have (or for making simple changes to them or converting them to a different graphics format), I've found ACDsee very good. It is not a graphics creation tool like Paint Shop Pro, etc. It is a viewer. If you click on a file name in a directory of image or mpeg files it will open and with your wheelmouse you can in a whiz scan through the images in the whole directory to find the one you want. It has pretty good editing and conversion features too.

You can get a tryout shareware version at:
http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/info.html?fcode=00089J

As far as viewers go, it's considered one of the best, I believe, and costs $50 for permanent use.

Byrd2a

Jun 9, 2000
I've always been a fan of ULEAD products. You can go to their site and download trial version of Photo Explorer for simple type tasks. Or, Photoimpact 5 is their high power photo program.

http://www.ulead.com

Gorgonzola

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
i totally agree with Cylon about IfranView, great little util. maybe i just dont understand the resizing feature of photoshop or something, but i usually end up with a pixelated mess if i shrink a pic down to much in photoshop, but in IfranView i get a crystal clear image every time.

and free is good :)

nemouk

Apr 26, 2000
I use Firehand Ember Pro (i actually paid for it :p!) for quick viewing and editing, a small known but great program.

For heavier graphics use i use Photoshop, for quick editing Paint Shop Pro is my first stop.

xtreme2k

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2000
from all i use

ACDSee is BEST if u have a large number of jpegs to view

3.0 version comes with some editing function

LBM1A

May 21, 2000
ACDSee 3.0! I love this program.. Crop,Resize,Convert,Wallpaper & create Thumbs... All in a Browser(explorer like) view. Or create your own slideshows in Viewer Mode! Adope Photo Deluxe for the really big Projects though!:)

Ladi

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2000
Photoshop 6.0 isn't due out until 4th quarter or so; it's currently in either alpha or beta, depending who you ask. BTW, to shrink an image properly in PS, you need to check the "Resample Image" box and switch the dropdown box to "Bicubic" as well as constraining proportions. After that, Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask... will clean up any remaining blurriness. Admittedly, it's not the easiest of solutions for most people, though you will get the best results if you're willing to learn and play a bit.

~Ladi

dave1980

Oct 16, 1999
a great program which i use is picaview. totally amazing. you right click on any file, and if it has an image in it (suppose an mp3 with an id3v2 tag with an album jpg on it). Where the context menu pops up there will be an additional field showing you a preview of it in the menu. click on the preview and the full image will show up in a window - extremely slick.

you can't edit anything in it, but it's a great program if you want to preview your jpgs quickly and w/o much hassle.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
XnView is fine for basic edits and IMO is a reasonably decent photo management program.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I always shrink from "best" queries. AFAIK, there is no "best" that is the same for everyone. There are several very good ones, both free and paid.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Seventeen years later and the best program for the simple tasks the op laid out is.....Paint.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Free from google. It should cover 90% of your editing too.
I use Picasa http://www.oldversion.com/windows/picasa/ for storing, viewing and simple editing; such as crop, straighten, red eye, lighten, and add text. I store and file by folder names, but there are date options also.
Printing options are excellent and when I edit a picture it saves the original too.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
oh goddammit. This thread came up in the recent posts feed and I responded. I'm guessing that some threadcrapper posted here, then I did, then their account was deleted.
Yes, there was a new user/spammer that bumped the topic and I guess their post was deleted by the mods.