Whats the best Program currently to D/L MP3s?

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
Whats the best Program currently to D/L MP3s?

im starting to get back into things like d/l mp3 etc, and wanted to know whats the best site/program to use for d/l mp3s again? last time i even d/led anything was with the old napster which obviously is out of it.

Fill me in plz!

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Audiogalaxy is good. Not very fast, but very persistant. It will always get you what you want.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

<< type ANY song in audiogalaxy and it will be there >>

Agreed.

Rhombuss

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2000
Audiogalaxy and Morpheus/Kazaa are okay, but the best now is WinMX. It's the closest to Napster in terms of usage, consistency, and amount. It has a LOT more than Morpheus and Kazaa, and the fact that it's client based puts it over Audiogalaxy IMO.

bleuiko

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
i'm using WinXP... and both morhpeus and WinMX crashes within 5 sec od starting up.. *sniff* HELP!!

MoleX

Oct 12, 1999

<< i'm using WinXP... and both morhpeus and WinMX crashes within 5 sec od starting up.. *sniff* HELP!! >>

audiogalaxy

jere01

Jan 14, 2001
I always use audiogalaxy but I find that sometimes songs are copyrighted so you have to type in the name slightly different to get the song. Huge selection of songs though!

Logix

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2001

<< By the way, does anyone know how to get Morpheus to see >128bps files any more? >>

Here's how:

1) Run regedit. (Using Start Menu > Run > 'regedit')
2) Press CTRL+F to search, and search for 'limitbitrate'. (takes a few seconds) Doubleclick limitbitrate and change the value to a 0 (zero). This enables searching of files over a 128 bitrate .

BTW, Morpheus rocks!

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
WinMX is a buggy and unstable program. AudioGalaxy is the best for audio-files. Morpheus/Kazaa is pretty good for everything, not superb, but acceptable.

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
AudioGalaxy has spyware, which probably causes instability. Morpheus seems to work good, easy and fast, but can bog down a slower PC, or one that is multitasking. Also, if you use Morpheus, I recommend finding the reg keys that you can alter to get higher bitrate mp3's and more search results. I'd list the keys here, but unfortuneatly I'm not home. For those suggesting mIRC, it's probably a good method, but not for everybody. Someone should give some tips when they suggest mIRC because it's not for the novice. I wouldn't dare say Morpheus is best for all file sharing. Morpheus is good for music "if" hacked. Nothing I've come across compares to eDonkey2000 for movie sharing. I can get a ~700meg movie every 1.5-2 hours through it on a crappy cable modem, you can't find that quality, quantity or speed on Morpheus! eDonkey is probably not good for dialup, or music though. It is good for games, programs, and large files. eDonkey also performs better on faster PCs. If you're interested in eDonkey, read the tips, and learn the program well because it's very powerful if configured properly! Allow at least 20k uploading, and experiment higher connections settings.

BlackSoul

Feb 13, 2001

<< For those suggesting mIRC, it's probably a good method, but not for everybody. Someone should give some tips when they suggest mIRC because it's not for the novice. >>

No disrepect intended, but that statement is a load of crap. IRC takes all of about 5 min. of paying attention to figure out. The reason the "napster" generation doesn't like is is because you can't just point and click. It is a good thing though that those kind of people think that way. It keeps MOST of the lamers away! :D

dukdukgoos

Golden Member
Dec 1, 1999
Let me add that WinMX is MUCH better when you also use TrippyMX to get more servers. It's not that great by itself...

ucvb6

May 30, 2001

<< Let me add that WinMX is MUCH better when you also use TrippyMX to get more servers. It's not that great by itself... >>

agreed, i just added trippyMX, the number of hits the servers return is unbelievable. although, lots of them are busy, but still, their's plenty to pick from

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
AudioGalaxy has spyware, which probably causes instability.

yes, that's why you uninstall the spyware.

people always bring this up and i have no idea why... is it that hard to uninstall the spyware?

seriously, ag is hands down the best music program. easiest to use too, no searching for a server, you can get a song in one click.

vlieps

Jun 15, 2000
My vote goes for KaZaa. It is excellent, I need no more, I can get everything in 5 minutes, and, by the way, also movies are there. No need for Donkey.

ASK THE COMMUNITY