What's the best Power Supply for my new PC configuration?

ivelin100

Dec 11, 2018
Hi everyone! I've been planning on buying a gaming PC for quite some time now and i want to ask you if the PSU i chose is powerful enough for my machine, and if my cpu cooler is good enough. Also want to know if the overall build is good or not.
So the specs are:
• GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition
• CPU: AMD ryzen 7 2700x
• HDD: 1TB 7200rpm 3.5, 64MB, SATAIII 600
• Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 RGB LED
• Case: ATX 8872 BLACK ATX
• Mobo: MSI x470 Gaming Pro AM4 Ryzen
• CPU cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock
And the Power Supply is either 600W BeQuiet System Power 80Plus or 650W SeaSonic SSR-650FX Gold which is probably the way to go.

ivelin100

Dec 11, 2018

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
"whatever gold seasonic 600W+ is on sale at newegg" is going to be my answer to this question from now on. often found at under $60 after rebate.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
"whatever gold seasonic 600W+ is on sale at newegg" is going to be my answer to this question from now on. often found at under $60 after rebate.

There's other good ones I would recommend as well, depending on the price at the time, like EVGA and Corsair. However, in my opinion there's really no reason to go with other manufacturers such as Thermaltake, Rosewill, and Antec unless they are significantly cheaper than the "big 3".

While Seasonic makes some of the other companies units (like some Antec models), they are built on old standards and the other companies can change things like overvolt / temp protection, capacitors, and fan selection and profile, making them many times inferior. Case in point, the Antec HCG (High Current Gamer o_O) models:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-high-current-gamer-850w-psu,5578.html
Over-power protection is set too high, which lead to the failure of our first sample. Once it shut down, it never turned back on. Over-current protection on the 5VSB rail is set too high as well, exceeding 200%. During our evaluation of that rail's OCP, we killed a second sample. Incidentally, the SSR-850FX this PSU is based on has a lower OCP triggering point on its 5VSB rail (5.4A).

Reactions: ElFenix

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
There's other good ones I would recommend as well, depending on the price at the time, like EVGA and Corsair. However, in my opinion there's really no reason to go with other manufacturers such as Thermaltake, Rosewill, and Antec unless they are significantly cheaper than the "big 3".

While Seasonic makes some of the other companies units (like some Antec models), they are built on old standards and the other companies can change things like overvolt / temp protection, capacitors, and fan selection and profile, making them many times inferior. Case in point, the Antec HCG (High Current Gamer o_O) models:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-high-current-gamer-850w-psu,5578.html

true. on another board my advice in a computer building thread actually was: "power supply prices change all the time - newegg runs 2 day sales involving rebates and whatnot pretty much constantly. you may need to sign up for their email spam to get the coupon code. my advice is get whatever gold rated unit from seasonic, corsair or evga is on sale that day. "

Reactions: UsandThem

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I would also go with Seasonic or EVGA. I have a 1000w model from each, a 750 XFX (rebaged Seasonic) and a Corsair 750w and they all hold up well.