What's the best, free, File Recovery software?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Howdy,

I have a friend who's hard drive took a crap so I told her I'd try to see if I could get any data off. I've run a few programs I found online with less than stellar results. I then ran OnTrack's Trial and that pulled up everything we need. However, that's almost $100 to buy.

Does anyone have any recovery software that's free that I should take a look at that you know does a good job? We're mainly just looking to get the Documents and Pictures folders off.

Thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
What's the best, free, File Recovery software?
Top 8 best, free ,file recovery software :-

• Recuva
    • TestDisk: ...
    • Stellar Data Recovery. ...
    • Undelete 360: ...
    • PhotoRec
    • Pandora Recovery
    • MiniTool Partition Recovery
    • Wise Data Recovery

If you are going to continue to quote articles from other sites,
you need to also include the link instead of plagiarizing their work.
You have done this in every single post here since you joined.

https://fossbytes.com/top-best-free-data-recovery-software-2016/

AT Mod Usandthem

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
From my own experience, Recuva, Testdisk, and Puran Recovery. Although I must say that recently these all failed on an external drive that went RAW (where testdisk has worked wonderfully for RAW partitions up until this drive). Zero Assumption Recovery is a commercial product and did the trick.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Rstudio is pretty awesome, but is $$$

rylujow

Sep 21, 2019
Bitwar data recovery software, it offers 30-day free trial, pretty good if you need a large amount of data to be recovered as a test purpose.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Another vote for Recuva. I've recovered thousands of files with it; not fast, but thorough.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
GetDataBack for NTFS has worked well for me when many others have failed. It costs money though.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Whut? :oops:

EaseUS Data Recovery offers a free version, and it is has work for more than just jacktheripper88.
most free versions are just trial versions. Unfortunately, most have a hard cap on the size of the files restored.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
most free versions are just trial versions. Unfortunately, most have a hard cap on the size of the files restored.
I saw that, but it said the free version recovers up to 1 GB in size files.

Anyways, my response was more in less a placeholder to an unintelligible reply. ;)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I saw that, but it said the free version recovers up to 1 GB in size files.

Anyways, my response was more in less a placeholder to an unintelligible reply. ;)
I know. I had to recover some files last year and it was difficult to find a free one that allowed whatever file size I needed.

So I bought one and it worked great.

Reactions: knev